HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Radiohead tells fans to pay what they want for album

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gaboman

Number of posts : 9666
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Radiohead tells fans to pay what they want for album   Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:34 pm

10/01/2007 11:25 AM, Reuters
Jonathan Cohen

Radiohead, one of the world's most influential rock bands, plans to sell its new album from its Web site as a digital download and let fans choose what they want to pay.

With music sales in decline globally for seven successive years, the industry is engaged in a debate over how best to reverse the trend.

Radiohead said its seventh studio album "In Rainbows" would be available from Radiohead.com from October 10 in MP3 format, meaning it can be played on all digital devices. In the latest twist in the move to digital music, fans can choose how much to pay, or can pay nothing if they prefer.

The band will also offer a special edition boxed set for 40 pounds ($82) which will be available later and will include two vinyl albums, a CD version of the new album and a second CD with additional new songs, artwork and photographs of the band.

Music observers said the British five-piece, which is no longer signed to a record label, is able to sell directly to its fans because it has such an established support base.

"They are the first band to put their money where their mouth is," Gareth Grundy, deputy editor of Q music magazine, told Reuters. "I think other bands that have been similarly successful will look and, if it is deemed to have worked, will do the same."

The traditional music business model has been under pressure as piracy and the move to digital sales has cut into album revenues. A strong area of growth, however, is live music and any subsequent tour by Radiohead would be boosted by the interest generated by the album.

"The traditional business model had been ruined by the Internet," said Grundy. "The industry is still trying to work out what on earth the new model or models should be and this is just one option."

Radiohead's digital or boxed set versions could be pre-ordered from the group's Web site from Monday and a spokesman said the box set had so far proved the more popular.

The group is planning a traditional CD release of the album in early 2008.

A decision by U.S. music star artist Prince to give his latest album away free with a British newspaper was met with fury by retailers and the industry who said it undermined the value of recorded music.

Number of posts : 7042
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Radiohead tells fans to pay what they want for album   Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:19 am

Should go this way. Make the songs free, then people will go to the concerts. Or make a small payment whatever they think is cool.

The best part of this was the band was able to bypass the incredible minutia and crappery of the big music studios. They just released it all on their own.

That's the future of music. Bands putting there stuff on the net free. Sure 99% of it will suck and they will fail, but word of mouth will spread for the good stuff, it will take off, and then they can tour.

Instead of radio, you will have top 20 websites with free music. Radio's or what we think of as radios will really be portable net devices that play either websites, or like IPods now, play your mp3 list.

Radio is dead, except for talk radio and sports, it just don't know it yet. The big music company's are dead, they know it, but are trying to save themselves.

But it's over, the future is here. It wil take several more years, but there aint much they can do about it, except drag their long slow death out.

---The Whid has spoken

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Radiohead tells fans to pay what they want for album   Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:29 pm

Have you seen www.pandora.com Whid? It's internet radio that picks songs at random from selections that go with your music tastes. I imagine radio will be a lot like this in future. Because as you said, radio's dead.

PostSubject: Re: Radiohead tells fans to pay what they want for album   Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:41 pm

I'll be glad when the music companies are dead. And I'm a capitalist, I dig companies. I liked Enron, I like Haliburton, I love big oil.

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Radiohead tells fans to pay what they want for album   Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:43 pm

hey, that site is cool. I put in China Girl, and it gave me some Cure song I never heard of, and I do like it. Awesome. How did they do that?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Radiohead tells fans to pay what they want for album   Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:52 pm

Well, you can enter a song, and they have a bunch of keywords for the song... and they just match it to other songs with the same keywords. Same goes for an artist.

I think that's how it works. You can register and it'll keep your different "stations" there for you.

PostSubject: Re: Radiohead tells fans to pay what they want for album   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1