HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Best Buy ends sales of analog TVs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HECK!

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Best Buy ends sales of analog TVs   Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:03 pm

Electronics retailer said it will stop selling products Oct. 1

MSN Tech and Gadgets
Updated: 2 hours, 48 minutes ago

MINNEAPOLIS - Best Buy Co. said Wednesday it has stopped selling analog televisions and pulled all remaining stock from its shelves, signalling the end of an era as consumers increasingly move toward digital products with flat-panel and high-definition screens.

Best Buy, one of the nation's top electronics retailers, heralded the reign of digital TVs, saying it made the move "as the end of the analog broadcast era draws near." Best Buy instructed stores to stop selling the products on Oct. 1.

Beginning Feb. 18, 2009, broadcasters will stop transmitting analog signals.

Non-digital television sets that are not attached to a cable or satellite service and not equipped with special converter boxes will no longer work.

Best Buy is the first consumer-electronics retailer to report an exit from the analog-TV business. More than 60 million U.S. households currently rely on an antennas or analog cable, and cable operators are required to guarantee their customers will receive broadcast channels until February 2012.

Those millions of households offer a lucrative market opportunity for electronics retailers and television manufacturers alike.

"We are committed to helping people understand the digital television transition, and exiting the analog video business is one way we can help avoid confusion," Mike Vitelli, senior vice president of electronics, said in a statement.

After the first of the year, the government will be making available to each household two coupons worth $40 each that can be used to buy two converter boxes. Best Buy will sell coupon-eligible converter boxes starting in early 2008.

------

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy ends sales of analog TVs   Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:08 pm

So it begins.

I was TV shopping a few weeks ago and there was this notice on an analog TV saying come '09 you're going to need a HD converter to get regular cable service. So that $250 TV is good for a year and some change before you have to buy or rent some other damn device to watch basic cable. Shitty.

Now it's HD or bust.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Traveler

Number of posts : 151
Where I am : Whidden's Laptop
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy ends sales of analog TVs   Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:47 pm

What?

Who made this decision?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy ends sales of analog TVs   Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:10 pm

The Best Buy no analog TV decision? Mr. Best Buy, I assume.

Or the no analog cable?

Man, this decision has been coming for well over a decade.

The government granted funding for hi-definition television in the 80's with the intent everything would be totally switched over in the 90's. Ahem. At any rate, it's taken longer. So finally they are doing away with the old cable and ushering in the new.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Traveler

Number of posts : 151
Where I am : Whidden's Laptop
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy ends sales of analog TVs   Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:10 pm

The government...

this smacks of Ruby Ridge and Waco, cept there screwing with my televison rights. I'm calling my senator. scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Illuminate

Number of posts : 1097
Where I am : In my vivid imagination
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy ends sales of analog TVs   Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:22 pm

I still don't get it. How do analog cable and HD TVs come together? I don't have a HD tv and I don't have analog, I have digital. Why do I need an HDTV to watch my digital cable?

Someone explain this to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy ends sales of analog TVs   Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:41 pm

There are analog or digital televisions.

Cable companies currently offer their services via analog or digital. They are doing away with analog.

So, if you have a television that only accepts analog signals, you are screwed.

HD is carried along the digital signal, even though originally it was carried along an analog signal. Problem is it took up too much bandwith.

For further reading, may I suggest: http://www.pbs.org/opb/crashcourse/digital_v_analog/

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pippin

Number of posts : 755
Where I am : Washington
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy ends sales of analog TVs   Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:22 pm

Well, guess I'm screwed. We have two TVs, one analog and one digital, and we have an antenna because we see no reason to get cable or dish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy ends sales of analog TVs   Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:57 am

I would stock up on DVD's. Especially since HD DVD's will phase out regular DVD's in a few years.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Illuminate

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy ends sales of analog TVs   Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:23 pm

so how do you know if you have a digital tv? I mean, i can see my digital cable so i'm assuming mine's digital.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy ends sales of analog TVs   Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:32 pm

Look at the owners manual.

Analog TV's can receive digital signals because of a digital cable box decodes it.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy ends sales of analog TVs   Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:36 pm

This might help, from Wiki:

In the United States, all U.S. television broadcasts will be exclusively digital as of February 17, 2009, by order of the Federal Communications Commission. This deadline was signed into law in early 2006.[12] Furthermore, as of March 1, 2007, all new television sets that can receive signals over-the-air, including pocket-sized portable televisions, must include digital or HDTV tuners so they can receive digital broadcasts.[13] Currently, most U.S. broadcasters are transmitting their signals in both analog and digital formats; a few are digital-only. Citing the bandwidth efficiency of digital TV, after the analog switch-off, the FCC will auction off channels 5259 (the lower half of the 700 MHz band) for other communications traffic,[14] completing the reallocation of broadcast channels 5269 that began in the late 1990s.
The analog switch-off ruling, which so far has met with little opposition from consumers or manufacturers, would render all non-digital televisions dark and obsolete on the switch-off date, unless connected to an external off-the-air tuner, analog or digital cable, or a satellite system. The FCC has determined that an external tuning device can simply be added to non-digital televisions to lengthen their useful lifespan. Several of these devices have already been shown, and it is expected that low-cost units will be available in January 2008.[15] At that same time, the U.S. government will take requests from households for up to two coupons to reduce the price of some converter boxes by $40.[16] Currently, even the earliest televisions continue to work with present broadcast standards. This mandate was designed to help provide a painless transition to the new standard.
-------

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Illuminate

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy ends sales of analog TVs   Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:18 pm

where do you go to get these two coupons?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy ends sales of analog TVs   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1