HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

What are you currently reading?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Lawless

Number of posts : 4788
Where I am : SUN Diego
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:49 pm

Awesome... let me know when you've finished, and what you thought.

Nymphadora

Number of posts : 4023
Where I am : North Carolina
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:29 am

I haven't had much time to reading it, only reallystarted reading it yesteray, but i'm a little over half way through. it's pretty good so far, have a good idea how it's gonna turn out, still clueless about most of it though.

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:07 am

I'm still reading the same book that I started, a couple weeks ago. I go through spurts, lately, and I get bored with what I'm reading. Or, I just don't feel good, and so I won't bother with it. Though, yesterday I read a couple online stories. Can't remember the names though.

shadow stalker

Number of posts : 106
Where I am : college
Registration date : 2007-02-15

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:55 am

currently reading a few books: The Silmarillion and Blue Like Jazz

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Illuminate

Number of posts : 1097
Where I am : In my vivid imagination
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:12 pm

I'm still reading the same 3 books I was reading before... but I just bought two more:

Naked - by David Sedaris
The Four Agreements - by Don Miguel Ruiz.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nymphadora

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:52 pm

Lawless wrote:
Awesome... let me know when you've finished, and what you thought.

i finished it last wednesday. it was pretty good, i had an idea what happened was what was gonna happen, not ALL the details but a basic idea, i gues it's just i've read all 4 of his books in the past few months so i'm used to the writeing style and that gave me a good idea.

i just finished deception point and it was about nasa so all thru this book when it said the nsa i read it nasa.

but it was a good book

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:24 am

Glad that you liked it, Buffy. You could, in a sense, tell where it was going. But, because that was the first of his books that I read, I didn't see it all. I was surprised about a lot of things. Great read though.

Nymphadora

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:20 pm

i was still suprised about several things, and even though i had an idea, i was still never sur becuase he puts so mant twists in there you never know how it will really trun out, it was a good book,not my favortie but it was good.

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:59 pm

Right... not my favorite either. But, it was good.

Lawless

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:30 pm

I just finished reading Book one, and two, of the Septimus Heap series:

MAGYK

A baby girl is rescued from a snowy path in the woods. A baby boy is stillborn. A young Queen is taken ill. An ExtraOrdinary Wizard mysteriously resigns from his post. And all on the same night. A string of events, seemingly unconnected, begins to converge ten years later, when the Heap family receive a knock at the door. The evil Necromancer DomDaniel is plotting his comeback and a Major Obstacle resides in the Heap family. Life as they know is about to change, and the most fantastically fast-paced adventure of confused identities, magyk and mayhem, begin.

FLYTE

It's been a year since septimus heap discovered his real family and true calling to be a wizard. As Apprentice to Extra Ordinary Wizard Marcia Overstrand, he is learning the fine arts of Conjurations, Charms, and other Magyk, while Jenna is adapting to life as the Princess and enjoying the freedom of the Castle.

But there is something sinister at work. Marcia is constantly trailed by a menacing Darke Shadow, and Septimus's brother Simon seems bent on a revenge no one understands. Why is the Darke Magyk still lingering?

Book three: PHYSIK just came out. So, I might read it, but I won't purchase it until it's in paperback. I hate owning a series and having some in paperback, and some in hardback. Bothers me. Might be silly, but that's how I prefer it.

PHYSIK

When Silas Heap unseals a forgotten room in the Palace, he releases the ghost of a Queen who lived five hundred years earlier. Queen Etheldredda is as awful in death as she was in life, and she's still up to no good. Her diabolical plan to give herself ever-lasting life requires Jenna's compliance, Septimus disappearance, and the talents of her son, Marcellus Pye, a famous Alchemist and Physician. And if Queen Etheldredda's plot involves Jenna and Septimus, then dark adventure awaits.

Last edited by on Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lawlessone23.livejournal.com/
Lawless

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:31 pm

Now, I'm starting, "The Devil Wears Prada." I absolutely LOVE the movie, and I'm hoping that the book is even better.

HECK!

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:56 pm

I've actually hunkered down and plan to finish my satire book. Not really fiction. More like a rant book that a satirist or comedian would write. Since I'm neither I don't expect to get it published. Who knows.

Don't know how long it will be but it should be good for a chuckle.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:58 pm

I'm on the fifth chapter of "The Devil Wears Prada" and it's a lot different from the movie. I still like it, but the movie, so far, was much better. And I don't normally say that.

Pulse

Number of posts : 445
Where I am : In the belly of the beast (giving it indigestion)
Registration date : 2007-02-24

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   Fri May 25, 2007 12:10 am

I just finished House by Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker.

"Enter House-- where you'll find yourself thrown into a killer's deadly game in which the only way to win is to lose...and the only way out is in.

The stakes of the game become clear when a tin can is tossed into the house with rules scrawled on it. Rules that only a mad man - or worse - could have written. Rules that make no sense yet must be followed.

One game.
Seven players.
Three rules.

Game ends at dawn."

This isn't your usual "strangers abducted and locked in a house and must eventually kill each other off one by one in order to survive" book/plot/storyline/thing. It's got a bit of the supernatural thrown into it as well. Not a bad book. Kind of confusing at times. But otherwise not bad. They're supposed to be making a movie out of it some time this year. I'll decide on whether or not I want to see it after I see some previews for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

Number of posts : 9666
Where I am : 台北市

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   Fri May 25, 2007 12:15 am

That book sounds interesting, Pulse. I may try and check it out.

I mean, the premise sounds like something that could go either way, but you seemed to have enjoyed it... so I'll see.

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   Fri May 25, 2007 12:20 am

i think i actualy some previews for a movie like that, yep, the only way out is in. or maybe i read it on a book i picked up. yeah could have read it on the jacket or somethingg.

ignore me

Number of posts : 9666
Where I am : 台北市

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   Fri May 25, 2007 12:22 am

Nymphadora wrote:

ignore me
Who said that?

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   Thu May 31, 2007 11:21 pm

Ok, I just finished (yesterday) a book called "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer. This book is very nearly 600 pages and I finished it in a day. There's currently two more in this series and I'd really like to get my hands on both of them. I will admit that this first one was kind of centered around high school and teenagers. But it was still a very good book. I'm eager to find out what happens next. If I had the second one, I probably wouldn't have slept at all last night.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:13 am

I just finished three books:

The Bluest Eyes in Texas

Madam President
and the follow up
First Lady

Pulse

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:15 pm

As of about 11:00am this morning, I've been reading "New Moon", the sequel to "Twilight". OMG it's so horribly sad and depressing Sad It probably wouldn't be near as bad if I didn't know what this girl was going through; to care more about someone than you do your own life and then to have them suddenly and with out warning taken away from you. Then trying as hard as you can to go about your life as if nothing had ever happened while trying to make sense of it all. And clinging to some small hope that there's still a chance to get them back because somewhere on this vast earth they are alive and existing. And yet knowing that somewhere in the back of your mind that it's not going to happen Sad That's cruelty, in every sense of the word.

I may need an antidepressant by the time I get to the end of this book. Especially if it doesn't start perking up soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:13 pm

I just started Market Forces by Richard K. Morgan. Same dude who wrote the Takeshi Kovacs trilogy: Altered Carbon, Broken Angels and Woken Furies.

Altered Carbon, by the way, ruled. Optioned for a movie too. Joel Silver bought the rights if I'm not mistaken. Read it now.

Anyway, this is his third book. So far, so good. Here's the deal:

Market Forces is a science fiction novel by Richard Morgan, first published in 2004.

Set in 2049, it follows up and coming executive Chris Faulkner as he plunges into the profitable field of conflict investment. Shorn Associates and other major corporations invest in rebel armies, totalitarian dictatorships, freedom fighters, and terrorists by selling weapons and services in exchange for a percentage of a state's GNP.

The potential for profit is immense, and competition is cut-throat. It's not enough to out-bid a competitor for the opportunity of supplying intelligence gathering services to Cambodia's freedom fighters; rival executives joust for the privilege on closed public roadways via armoured cars or "battle-wagons". This fiercely competitive business model is bloody but effective: surviving executives are by natural selection more cunning and aggressive than their fallen competitors, and therefore best suited for the job.

Market Forces is less science than fiction, and it certainly doesn't follow in Richard Morgan's previous novels' cyberpunk footprints. Certain cyberpunk elements remain, though, such as the dominance of large corporate empires and the Hobbesian nature of everyday life. The novel retains strong dystopian influences throughout and delivers a frighteningly realistic future. Other influences, especially in the action scenes, are the groundbreaking science fiction films Rollerball and Mad Max.[1]

Although some readers seem to think so, Market Forces is not in fact related to the Takeshi Kovacs fictional universe, and is not a prequel to that series.[2]

------------

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pulse

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:58 pm

Who would have thought that a novel that's mostly about werewolves could possibly be depressing? It does finally brighten up ever so slightly about four or five chapters from the end. The heartbroken Juliet was finally reunited with her love sick Romeo Smile Just as it should be Smile But now they've got bigger problems...and still some of the older ones still lurking in the shadows.

The problem now is that I have to wait until August for the third book :irked: I could preorder it now, but it wouldn't help. I would still have to wait until August to get my hands on it.

I didn't think my mother was going to let me fininsh this one. I couldn't leave it sitting anywhere. It wasn't safe. She would snatch it as soon as my back was turned and I would have to go track her down with it to get it back from her Suspect She didn't want me telling her anything that happened in it. But every time I left it unattended for however short a period of time, she would read some of it and then interrogate me for the answers Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pulse

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:38 pm

"Impulse" by: Ellen Hopkins

It's about three very troubled teenagers who all unsuccessfully attempt to commit suicide. One by shooting himself in the chest. Another by overdosing on pills, and the third by slicing her wrist.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Illuminate

Number of posts : 1097
Where I am : In my vivid imagination
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:13 pm

I just finished reading Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk. Eh it was okay. It was a good read for a while, but then left me unsatisfied. I really don't think he's that great of a writer.

Next is The Trial by Kafka. Heard it's good...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

Number of posts : 7042
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:48 pm

reading Dark Tower 4 again, skipped the flashback section, which is just about the whole book last time I read the series, going back and reading that part now.

Reading Fuscia's book too while on my laptop.

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   

Back to top Go down

What are you currently reading?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next