HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

SKoreans clone cats that glow in the dark: officials

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HECK!

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: SKoreans clone cats that glow in the dark: officials   Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:01 pm

SEOUL (AFP) - South Korean scientists have cloned cats by manipulating a fluorescent protein gene, a procedure which could help develop treatments for human genetic diseases, officials said Wednesday.

In a side-effect, the cloned cats glow in the dark when exposed to ultraviolet beams.

A team of scientists led by Kong Il-keun, a cloning expert at Gyeongsang National University, produced three cats possessing altered fluorescence protein (RFP) genes, the Ministry of Science and Technology said.

"It marked the first time in the world that cats with RFP genes have been cloned," the ministry said in a statement.

"The ability to produce cloned cats with the manipulated genes is significant as it could be used for developing treatments for genetic diseases and for reproducing model (cloned) animals suffering from the same diseases as humans," it added.

The cats were born in January and February. One was stillborn while two others grew to become adult Turkish Angoras, weighing 3.0 kilogrammes (6.6 pounds) and 3.5 kilogrammes.

"This technology can be applied to clone animals suffering from the same diseases as humans," the leading scientist, Kong, told AFP.

"It will also help develop stemcell treatments," he said, noting that cats have some 250 kinds of genetic diseases that affect humans, too.

The technology can also help clone endangered animals like tigers, leopards and wildcats, Kong said.

South Korea's bio-engineering industry suffered a setback after a much-touted achievement by cloning expert Hwang Woo-Suk turned out to have been faked.

The government banned Hwang from research using human eggs after his claims that he created the first human stem cells through cloning were ruled last year to be bogus.

Hwang is standing trial on charges of fraud and embezzlement.
--------

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

Number of posts : 7098
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER

PostSubject: Re: SKoreans clone cats that glow in the dark: officials   Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:08 pm

Fregin monsters. Use a damn rat or something, why they gotta pick on cats.

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: SKoreans clone cats that glow in the dark: officials   Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:42 pm

The cats are alright though. All of it was done when they were less than embryos, I would imagine.

Plus, how easy is it to find those cats? It would revolutionize the pet industry.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

Number of posts : 9673
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: SKoreans clone cats that glow in the dark: officials   Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:28 pm

South Korea has a history of making up their scientific breakthroughs; don't even bother acknowledging this one.

PostSubject: Re: SKoreans clone cats that glow in the dark: officials   Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:07 pm

You're made up!

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Schmiggens

Number of posts : 1397
Where I am : 'Straylia
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: SKoreans clone cats that glow in the dark: officials   Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:42 am

Came across a video of these cats here:

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/135680/Cloned_Cats_Glow_In_The_Dark.html

They don't totally glow in the dark, just the faces kind of light up. It looks wierd.

On a side note, can't the cats have one cage each? Do they really need to all live in one tiny cage?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: SKoreans clone cats that glow in the dark: officials   Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:58 pm

Seriously. They are going to keep each other up at night, being all glowing in the dark.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SKoreans clone cats that glow in the dark: officials   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1