HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Former Pakistan's Premier Assassinated

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Schmiggens

Number of posts : 1397
Where I am : 'Straylia
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Former Pakistan's Premier Assassinated   Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:54 pm

Former Pakistan's Premier Bhutto Assassinated

RAWALPINDI, PAKISTAN _ Pakistan's two-time prime minister and the first woman premier of a Muslim country Benazir Bhutto was assassinated in the city of Rawalpindi, located just 22 kilometres from Pakistan's capital Islamabad, Thursday evening.

There was a huge explosion, possibly a suicide attack, and shooting soon after the slain leader stepped into her car after an election campaign. The general elections in Pakistan are scheduled to be held on Jan. 8.
Bhutto was shot in the neck and head and was immediately sent to a nearby hospital but a little later was pronounced dead, her Pakistan People's Party ( PPP) spokesman Farhatullah Babar told journalists.

As many as 20 more people, including her party's leaders and workers, were also killed while about 50 people suffered injuries in the shooting and bomb blast. Identities of those killed and injured are yet to be ascertained, but sources said Benazir's close aides Nahid Khan, Sherry Rehman and Rehman Malik were also among the injured.

The attack was the second on her within two months. Earlier, over 100 people were killed and more than 200 injured as a suicide bomb blew up during a mammoth rally in Pakistan's port city of Karachi last October.
The people had gathered to welcome Bhutto, the most popular Pakistan political leader, on her arrival in Pakistan after the end of her seven-year self-exile in Dubai.

Since her arrival in Pakistan, Bhutto has visited various cities ignoring the warnings by security agencies about threats to her life from extremists here.

Pre-election polls revealed that Benazir's PPP will win maximum seats during the upcoming general elections. However, a pall has been drawn on the elections after the demise of Benazir Bhutto.

Born in 1953 in Sindh province of Pakistan, Bhutto graduated from Howard University. Her father, Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto, was executed by military dictator Gen. Ziaul Haq.

Benazir Bhutto became the first woman prime minister of a Muslim country as her party won maximum seats of the national assembly in the 1988 elections. However, her government was overthrown by then president Ghulam Ishaq Khan two years later.

She was again elected as prime minister in 1993 and again her party's government was dissolved by another president Farooq Ahmad Khan Leghari. She left the country after her confrontation with then prime minister and her archrival Nawaz Sharif in 1999. She returned to Pakistan ending her more than seven-year self-exile in October.

Condemning Benazir Bhutto's death, Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf called on the people of his country to remain calm. He said his government would continue struggle against terrorists till their defeat.
Other leaders, including Nawaz Sharif of the Pakistan Muslim League, Asfandyar Wali Khan of the Awami National Party, Qazi Hussain Ahmad of the Jamate Islami and Maulana Fazlur Rahman of the Jamiat Ulemae Islam also expressed grief and sorrow over Benazir Bhutto's assassination.

Her killing was also condemned by the United States, Britain, Russia, France and Afghanistan.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2007/12/205_16323.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Schmiggens

PostSubject: Re: Former Pakistan's Premier Assassinated   Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:57 pm

Schmiggens wrote:
Her killing was also condemned by the United States, Britain, Russia, France and Afghanistan.

Well duh! I'd guess most countries condemn assinations via suicide bombings.

So sad, I'd seen a few interviews with her previously and she seemed to really know her stuff. She was constantly under threat, but she kept up with her work, which is so admirable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

Number of posts : 9673
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Former Pakistan's Premier Assassinated   Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:04 pm

The thing that caught my eye was how out of all the papers you could've gotten an article on this subject from, you chose the Korean Times.

It's pretty sad news though, I hope there aren't violent repurcusions to the region because of this.

PostSubject: Re: Former Pakistan's Premier Assassinated   Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:05 pm

gaboman wrote:
The thing that caught my eye was how out of all the papers you could've gotten an article on this subject from, you chose the Korean Times.

I saw it on the TV news and googled it, and that was just one of the first links that came up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Former Pakistan's Premier Assassinated   Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:11 pm

Hehehe I figured so. I was actually about to post the same thing, but my link was from the Yemin Post.

PostSubject: Re: Former Pakistan's Premier Assassinated   Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:18 pm

Why don't the major papers come up first when you google search it? You'd think there'd be some sort of "pay to be first" program going on and the major papers would be at the top of the search page.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Former Pakistan's Premier Assassinated   Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:40 pm

I believe google and yahoo are quite against being paid for making certain sites come up before others. They've also got a system that if you try to fudge the system or play with your META tags to make your site come up first, it'll ban you for something like 3 months. I think they end up ranking them all by popularity rather than profitability.

PostSubject: Re: Former Pakistan's Premier Assassinated   Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:17 am

News Headings in Autralia today:

Pakistan Violence Threatens Cricket Tour

Screw the poltical ramifications, it might affect the sport!!!!! Nooooooooooooo!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Former Pakistan's Premier Assassinated   Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:23 am

You gotta love the priorities of the typical Aussie yahoo.

Number of posts : 524
Where I am : Edinburgh where drink is cheap and women are cheaper
Registration date : 2007-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Former Pakistan's Premier Assassinated   Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:17 am

Most of the paers in Scotland have the headline " Pakistan in crisis" which sum's the whole thing up. Although he sayys diffrently Mushareff is delighted about this for 2 reason 1 he was going to lose to Bhutto and 2. if the trouble on the streets gets worse he would be able to postpone the elctions and reinstate the emergency rule all the time he can tell the people that it is Bhuttos supporters that are destroying the country.

Call me a cynic but do you think Bush would have said anything if Pakistan was nuke free and not an ally in the war on terror?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Schmiggens

PostSubject: Re: Former Pakistan's Premier Assassinated   Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:03 pm

Bhutto's son declared chairman of her party

ISLAMABAD - The son of the slain Chairperson of Pakistan People's Party (PPP) Benazir Bhutto Sunday said he had been elected as new Chairman of the party.

Bilawal said the PPP would still pursue democracy in Pakistan in the future. "My mother always said democracy is the best revenge," Bilawal said.

A senior leader of the PPP Amin Fahim said at the news conference Bhutto had left a letter of will in which she nominated her husband Asif Zardari as chairman. However, Zardari nominated Bilawal as the successor at the CEC meeting.

Zardari disclosed that his children had decided to add their mother Bhutto's family name to their names.

The PPP would contact United Nations for international probe into Bhutto's assassination, he said.

Bilawal, born in September 1988, is the only son of Bhutto. Bilawal attended Rashid School For Boys in Dubai, where he was Vice President of the student council. He is currently studying at Oxford University.

Bilawal thanked the CEC for its trust on him and said he would continue his study.

Some leaders of the PPP earlier said that Bilawal was too young to lead the party. The CEC meeting still elected Bilawal as chairman and Zardari co-chairman. A 9-member advisory committee has also been set up to run affairs of the party.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Schmiggens

PostSubject: Re: Former Pakistan's Premier Assassinated   Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:35 pm

Her son is only 19!!!! That's a hell of a job for a 19 year old.

He has apparently vowed to avenge her death. Hard core!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dekka00

Number of posts : 1251
Where I am : Commonwealth of Virginia
Registration date : 2007-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Former Pakistan's Premier Assassinated   Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:16 pm

ehhh, a hereditary position is bad for democracy.

unless he is particularly mature for his age, 19 is too young. I'm concerned that Bilawal will develop some megalomania if he is put into such a powerful position at this early of an age.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Former Pakistan's Premier Assassinated   Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:24 am

Dekka00 wrote:
ehhh, a hereditary position is bad for democracy.
That's what I was thinking, though I'm assuming he was voted in by the rest of his party... you'd hope.

Number of posts : 524
Where I am : Edinburgh where drink is cheap and women are cheaper
Registration date : 2007-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Former Pakistan's Premier Assassinated   Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:50 am

19 is to young but thats not the real problem here, if he wins the elction which is pretty much a forgone conclusion he will leave Pakistam and return to England to study which would give Oxford university and the British security services a headache we don't need. While he is in England though his father will take some sort of control and that's the problem his father is distrusted in the west, in India and in some part of Pakistan a convicted criminal who up until a few months was facing execution if set foot in Pakistan most of his contacts and dealings are suspect and he has been called power hungry. The second problem is that apart from Benazir Bhutto noboy in the PPP had a vison for Pakistan that moved on from democratic elections. No doubt when the elctions are done and the results read out there will be more violence on the streets.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Former Pakistan's Premier Assassinated   

Back to top Go down

Former Pakistan's Premier Assassinated
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1