HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Wold's Oldest Orangutan Dies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Schmiggens

Number of posts : 1397
Where I am : 'Straylia
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Wold's Oldest Orangutan Dies   Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:37 am

World's oldest Sumatran orangutan dies in Miami zoo

BEIJING, Dec. 31 (Xinhuanet) -- A 55-year-old Sumatran orangutan, thought to be the world's oldest, has died in Miami, a zoo spokesman said Sunday.

Nonja, who was born in the wild on the Indonesian island of Sumatra in June 1952, was found dead by her keeper on Saturday morning, Miami Metro Zoo spokesman Ron Magill said.

"Everybody's very sad, especially with an animal like an orangutan," Magill said. "You see a lot of yourself in these animals. The great apes are our closest relatives."

Nonja, which means "girl" in Dutch, came to Metrozoo in October 1983 from the Wassenar Zoo in Holland and was well known by zoo visitors. Each June, the zoo hosted a huge bash to celebrate her birthday.

According to Magill, a typical life span for Sumatran orangutans is 40 to 50 years. "She was really a grand old dame," Magill said.

Zoo officials said she had begun to show signs of age, but was not sick. A necropsy is to be performed in the next few days to find the cause of her death.

The orangutan had five babies, who produced two babies of their own.

According to the Sumatran Orangutan Society, there were 7,300 Sumatran orangutans in the wild in 2003.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

Number of posts : 9666
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Wold's Oldest Orangutan Dies   Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:39 am

I'm sure the Orangutan who was second in line for the spot as the world's oldest orangutan is cheering.

PostSubject: Re: Wold's Oldest Orangutan Dies   Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:42 am

I love Orangutans, after Elelphants they're one of my favourite animals. Orangutans are just so human-like, you see their faces and their expressions and they way they interact with eachother and their children, they are just like us in so many ways.

At Singapore zoo they have Orangutans that sit next to restaurant while you have breakfast and you go right up to them, when I was there, she had her baby with her and they were just adorable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Wold's Oldest Orangutan Dies   Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:44 am

Have you ever heard Monkey News on the Ricky Gervais show? (radio show/podcast?) A guy named Karl Pilkington tells stories from around the world about 'monkeys' (he always means Orangutans or Chimpanzees) doing fantastic things, but tends to get the stories wrong.

PostSubject: Re: Wold's Oldest Orangutan Dies   Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:50 am

No, I've never heard any of that. Didn't you have a whole pile of his shows in your winamp playlist?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Wold's Oldest Orangutan Dies   Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:01 am

Yeah, but I don't think he has monkey news in any of those. Back in the day, Karl would do stuff like Rockbusters where he'd give a craptic clue for listeners to decypher. Like a clue would be "I was in Texas, and I fell over into a puddle and part of my leg got wet." The answer to that would be "Wet-knee Houston." Very groan worthy, but cracks me up every time.

PostSubject: Re: Wold's Oldest Orangutan Dies   

Back to top Go down

Wold's Oldest Orangutan Dies
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1