HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Comic fans fume as Marvel erases Spidey-MJ marriage

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gaboman

Number of posts : 9673
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Comic fans fume as Marvel erases Spidey-MJ marriage   Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:52 pm

It's over, MJ: Spider-Man will be young and geeky again after a pact with the aptly named Mephisto.
By David Colton, USA TODAY

Those who know Spider-Man only from Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst in the movies might be surprised to learn that in the comic book, the web-spinning hero has been married for almost 21 years.

That's why the comic world is in an uproar over Marvel Comics' decision to undo the marriage of Peter Parker and red-haired bombshell Mary Jane Watson, reversing two decades of storytelling.

In Amazing Spider-Man #545 last week, Peter and Mary Jane make a tearful deal with the devil-like character Mephisto: In exchange for saving Aunt May's life, Mephisto erases all traces of the Peter-Mary Jane marriage from memory.

In the issue out this week, subtitled Brand New Day, Peter Parker returns to his roots young, nerdy and single. Aunt May is alive and well and Mary Jane is again just part of the cast. The marriage never happened.

"People are very upset. They erased a lot of stuff that had been set in stone," says John Newman, manager of Ultimate Comics in Chapel Hill, N.C., on Wednesday as customers came in to buy the opening chapter of Brand New Day. To help emphasize the new start, Amazing Spider-Man will go thrice-monthly.

"We knew it would be a very controversial thing to do," says Joe Quesada, Marvel's editor in chief, who believed so much in the project that he drew the crucial issues himself. "Looking into the future, this is really the right thing to do for the long-term health of the character."

Spider-Man, created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko in 1962, was a hit, connecting with young readers because he was a geeky teenager, shy with girls and uncertain of how to use his powers. But in 1987, Peter and Mary Jane, by then a fashion model, got married. Marvel had instant regrets.

"I remember editors and editors in chief lamenting that a married Spider-Man was not where we want to be," Quesada says. "A married Peter Parker makes for a less interesting soap opera than a single Peter Parker going about his nerdy kind of life."

Writers tried everything: The couple separated for a while. She miscarried. And in a much-criticized story line, Marvel tried to convince readers that Peter Parker had not gotten married, but his clone. That didn't stick, either. Then Quesada took over and insisted the marriage just couldn't continue.

"Nobody wants to read about a married Spider-Man," says Craig Shutt, a columnist for Comics Buyers Guide. "But in the short run, it's a terrible idea. It disrespects the readers by saying everything they read is wrong."

At DC Comics, Superman is married to Lois Lane, disrupting that title's long-standing tensions. DC declined to comment for this story.

Quesada is steadfast that for Spider-Man, the move is the right one: "Ultimately we have to do this to keep this character fresh for this generation and generations to come."

How long-term heroes have been revised to keep up with the times:

Superman. Created in 1938, Superman was totally revamped in 1986. The current Man of Steel never had a career as Superboy, and as Clark Kent, he has been married to Lois Lane since 1996.

Batman. Created in 1939, Batman has mentored three Robins. The first, Dick Grayson, is now Nightwing. The third, Tim Drake, was introduced in 1989. The second Robin, Jason Todd, was killed by the Joker but has returned.

Iron Man. Created in 1963, Tony Stark built his armor after being injured in Vietnam, later updated to the Gulf War. Now he got his injuries in Afghanistan.

Number of posts : 4023
Where I am : North Carolina

PostSubject: Re: Comic fans fume as Marvel erases Spidey-MJ marriage   Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:42 pm

I don't really read comic books but I don't really understand the big deal about it. Could someone explain.

PostSubject: Re: Comic fans fume as Marvel erases Spidey-MJ marriage   Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:54 pm

basically they'd been married 21 years and now all that's been erased... from the sounds of it, they've jumped back 21 years to make Spider-Man young again...

Chances are he'll win over MJ again anyway. They just needed an excuse to bounce back and start all over again.

PostSubject: Re: Comic fans fume as Marvel erases Spidey-MJ marriage   Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:30 pm

yeah, i can see that

but it's not like it's really being erased, they make it sound like they've called for the burning of the books and noone to ever mention it happened because it didn't, it's all a lie.

it happened, but it's like time travel man, they just stuck him back so they can start some new stuff with the character, sounds better than cancelling spiredman all together.

understand what I'm trying to say?

PostSubject: Re: Comic fans fume as Marvel erases Spidey-MJ marriage   Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:38 am

Sort of. I'm not really that concerned about it myself, really. I'm sure they'll bounce back eventually anyway.

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Comic fans fume as Marvel erases Spidey-MJ marriage   Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:05 am

I was going to post something about this... but I was more upset about Captain America being killed.

Anyway, the thing about comics, even though Spidey and MJ have been married for 20 years or whatever, in comic book time, it can be 5 years, 10 years, or 1 year. Shit, Captain America was a WW2 vet thoughed out in the 60's. Comics don't deal with real world time.

They aren't going back in time. Spidey is still in the 'current' Marvel universe. It does appear that they are knocking a few years off his life though by moving him back in with Aunt May. Regardless, a big, sweeping, chop at the Spidey story. Very interesting. Glad they went back to mechanical web shooters. Having Harry Osbourne back is gay.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nymphadora

PostSubject: Re: Comic fans fume as Marvel erases Spidey-MJ marriage   Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:28 am

I know he not really going back in time

All I'm saying is what happened still happened, they just don't know it happened.

It's not like they are saying it never happened you know

PostSubject: Re: Comic fans fume as Marvel erases Spidey-MJ marriage   Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:54 am

My brother-in-law was upset yesterday because people were arguing that Batman could beat up Superman. I said that he totally could. He went off - it was pretty funny.

PostSubject: Re: Comic fans fume as Marvel erases Spidey-MJ marriage   Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:59 am

funny yes, but I can think of a few more words to describe it

PostSubject: Re: Comic fans fume as Marvel erases Spidey-MJ marriage   Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:22 am

Same here. That's what made me laugh so much. I would've said Tiny Tim (the tip toeing through the tulips singer, not the short dude) could kick Batman's ass if it'd get a rise out of someone who actually cared.

PostSubject: Re: Comic fans fume as Marvel erases Spidey-MJ marriage   Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:28 am

First I was going to post that this was a lame convo, but I kept on. Second, these comic fans are pretty steadfast and loyal. I can see why they would be pissed. Imagine watching a TV show for 30 years and they change the foundation. I don't read comics anymore, but I get what they're saying.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Comic fans fume as Marvel erases Spidey-MJ marriage   Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:38 am

Imagine watching a TV show like Dallas for a full year and finding out the whole season was all a dream.

Oh man, I'd shit a brick if that ever happened.

PostSubject: Re: Comic fans fume as Marvel erases Spidey-MJ marriage   Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:39 am

I guess I can't comment then, cause I don't really read them, and I haven't done ANYTHING for 30 years, so I have no basis for comparasion, maybe that's why I think it's a little crazy to get pissed about a plot twist.
Seems to me it may have been nessacery to switch it up a bit. Maybe I REALLY have no understand of the gravity of the situation.

PostSubject: Re: Comic fans fume as Marvel erases Spidey-MJ marriage   Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:01 am

gaboman wrote:
Imagine watching a TV show like Dallas for a full year and finding out the whole season was all a dream.

Oh man, I'd shit a brick if that ever happened.

I shot JR cocknocker.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Comic fans fume as Marvel erases Spidey-MJ marriage   Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:05 am

Nymphadora wrote:
I guess I can't comment then, cause I don't really read them, and I haven't done ANYTHING for 30 years, so I have no basis for comparasion, maybe that's why I think it's a little crazy to get pissed about a plot twist.
Seems to me it may have been nessacery to switch it up a bit. Maybe I REALLY have no understand of the gravity of the situation.

There's no gravity to the situation.

Are you one of the Harry Potter people? Imagine that writer chick killed off some fuckface in the HP series by some witch using a spell that does some really pathetic and easily described plot device. People would go ape. Lord Of Them Things or Star Trek also apply.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nymphadora

PostSubject: Re: Comic fans fume as Marvel erases Spidey-MJ marriage   Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:16 am

It's not that I don't get what your saying. I titally get what your saying, I'd be a little peeved by it too.

But what I'm saying is, they aren't killing anyone off or anything. From what I've read it says the marriage is erased from memory. So it's not like saying the stuff never happened, it like saying they have amnesia, on a bigger scale.

Like I said I don't read them, so I don't know what improtant shit happened because of their marriage, or what the traces of their marriage being earsed would effect, so I don't understand the situation. It may be a BIG deal in the comic book world, I just don't understand why. And I don't mean that like I don't get these crazy comic book people, I mean it like, I don't understand because I know what all it effects.

Number of posts : 1397
Where I am : 'Straylia
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Comic fans fume as Marvel erases Spidey-MJ marriage   Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:12 am

"Lord of Them Things!"

HA HA HA HA!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Comic fans fume as Marvel erases Spidey-MJ marriage   Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:56 pm

Nymphadora wrote:
It's not that I don't get what your saying. I titally get what your saying, I'd be a little peeved by it too.

But what I'm saying is, they aren't killing anyone off or anything. From what I've read it says the marriage is erased from memory. So it's not like saying the stuff never happened, it like saying they have amnesia, on a bigger scale.

Like I said I don't read them, so I don't know what improtant shit happened because of their marriage, or what the traces of their marriage being earsed would effect, so I don't understand the situation. It may be a BIG deal in the comic book world, I just don't understand why. And I don't mean that like I don't get these crazy comic book people, I mean it like, I don't understand because I know what all it effects.

Comic book geeks are pissed for sure. I can see the uproar, even though I'm not a comic book geek. They're basically re-booting Spider-Man.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Comic fans fume as Marvel erases Spidey-MJ marriage   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1