HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Prouder Than Thou

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Whidden

Number of posts : 7157
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Prouder Than Thou   Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:27 pm

February 19, 2008, 5:14 pm
Prouder Than Thou

By Tobin Harshaw

Tags: michelle obama

Michelle Obama’s statement on the campaign trail that “for the first time in my adult lifetime I am really proud of my country” set off the expected, if not undeserved, handwringing across the blogosphere.

Left: “I am a proud American first,” writes Taylor Marsh. “A liberal second. But Michelle Obama will never speak for me. Not until I know the definition of ‘change’ that’s being offered amidst a record that doesn’t come close to measuring up to all the endless talk.”

Right: “Let me get this straight: a couple of ultra-successful, Ivy League-educated, wealthy, elitist liberals who have never been proud of their country want all of us little people to vote for them to be our PRESIDENT and FIRST LADY?” responds Jeff Emanuel at RedState.
“Anyway, just shut up and vote for Barack so that his wife can finally appreciate something you stupid people in this country she is so forcibly made to endure living in have done.”

And center: “But is the explanation necessarily political?” asks Slate’s Mickey Kaus.
“Even Dennis Kucinich would probably have no problem finding something to be proud of in the past two decades. If Michelle Obama’s default position is set to ‘Aggrieved,’ it also suggests something personal, no? Maybe, like many strong wives, she wonders why her husband is the one on the top of the family ticket — which might also explain her strange occasional habit of belittling him in public (”snore-y and stinky” ). Beats me. For whatever reason, she sure seems to have a non-trivial chip on her shoulder and it’s not a winning quality.”

Less expected, however, was a challenge from her potential opposite number from across the aisle: “I am proud of my country,” insisted Cindy McCain, wife of John, at a Wisconsin rally today.
“I don’t know about you? If you heard those words earlier, I am very proud of my country.”

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study

Last edited by Whidden on Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Prouder Than Thou   Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:31 pm

I heard this today on the radio. I was a little shocked. I would have thought she would have speech writers and stuff and not drop the ball like this.

Obama might need to shut her up some.

I do understand that some super liberals do hate the country and never ever been proud of the States, but the mainstream Democrat aint gonna say that in the middle of a campaign. Pisses too many folks off.

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

Number of posts : 9729
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Prouder Than Thou   Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:37 pm

It is a pretty lame brain thing to say, I have to agree.

PostSubject: Re: Prouder Than Thou   Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:39 pm

I don't think it will hurt the campaign, Obama is on fire, he can do no wrong.

But he needs to have his staff go over her stuff before she talks, weed out the crazy stuff.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Prouder Than Thou   Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:46 pm

Absolutely.

I was watching her on some show the other week, and she was saying that Obama is a sweet man who's always there for birthdays, anniversaries, takes her on holidays and stuff... my only thought was: "Dubya took lots of holidays too.... hmm..."

I like the man though. People who support him will just attribute it to a slip up on her part.

Number of posts : 4023
Where I am : North Carolina

PostSubject: Re: Prouder Than Thou   Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:42 am

I heard that she didn't mean it like she's never been proud of her country, but it's the frist time she been proud of who is being voted in for the democratic choice for president.

Or Basically saying it's the first time she can be proud to vote for a democrat. andif you look at it that way, she's not far off base man, look at who the democratic nominees have been for the past 2 decades.

PostSubject: Re: Prouder Than Thou   Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:48 am

Well, of course that's what she meant. People say things that can be interpretend in all kinds of ways... but I'd say none of the candidates (or their spouses) mean anything negative by their comments.

Like Bush. He doesn't mean to be hilarious in his speeches; he just is.

Number of posts : 4023
Where I am : North Carolina

PostSubject: Re: Prouder Than Thou   Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:53 am

He is a funny little man.

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end

PostSubject: Re: Prouder Than Thou   Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:17 am

People are going to put every sentence anyone involved in any campaign say under the biggest microscope and spin that shit until we're all dizzy.

There is a line between letting someone clarify a statement and making them stick to their words. This is not a 'No New Taxes' speech. It's hardly a 'Mission Accomplished'.

I think it's on par with 'Where's The Beef'.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Prouder Than Thou   Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:24 am

HECK! wrote:
It's hardly a 'Mission Accomplished'.
I'm genuinely going to miss the man.

PostSubject: Re: Prouder Than Thou   Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:35 am

In a way, me too, but not at all.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Illuminate

Number of posts : 1097
Where I am : In my vivid imagination
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Prouder Than Thou   Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:00 pm

If I remember correctly, she's flubbed up before. She's not the sharpest person apparently. But again, no matter what anyone says, someone's gonna find the negative in it. it's a lose-lose.

I think it's awesome we can now vote either for a woman or a black man. of course, it does help that the rest are morons.

mrs. obama may need a speech class or two... or 10.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Prouder Than Thou   Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:11 pm

She speaks well, but I don't think she has total control of what comes out.

She's a lawyer, though, right? Hmmm... I can't see myself hiring her to defend me in court.

Probably a solicitor.

PostSubject: Re: Prouder Than Thou   Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:04 pm

I don't like her, I'v decided. She is the new Omarosa. I like Obama though, he's cool.

I think Obama should dump her and go with Condie Rice. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Prouder Than Thou   Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:34 pm

Racist.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prouder Than Thou   

Back to top Go down

Prouder Than Thou
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Inrejects :: News and Hot Topics :: Breaking News :: Archive: 2008 Presidential Elections-
Jump to: