HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
fuscia

Number of posts : 2304
Where I am : INSane Diego
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast   Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:44 pm

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A man swimming with a group training for a triathlon was killed by a shark off a southern California beach on Friday, fire and life guard officials said, the first fatal attack in the region in nearly 50 years.

The unidentified man, aged between 55 and 60, was swimming with a group of athletes off Solana Beach, north of San Diego, when he was attacked, the officials said.

He was brought to shore by the other swimmers and pronounced dead at the scene.

"It was obviously a shark attack. He had very severe injuries to both legs. It is very uncommon, we rarely even see sharks here," Dismas Ableman, Solana Beach deputy fire chief, told Fox News.

The last reported fatal shark attack in the region was in 1959, according to the International Shark Attack file, which is run by the Florida Museum of Natural History.

Coast guard and police helicopters flew over the area trying to spot the shark. It was not known what species of shark was involved.

Solana beach is in San Diego North County below Oceanside. This is very sad news. Many locals do not even realize that Great White sharks have their babies off of the Coronado Islands. I found that out when I took my marine bio. class

fuscia

PostSubject: Re: Fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast   Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:50 pm

We are also looking at record setting temps this weekend. It will be in the mid to upper 80's in the beach with up to 99 inland where I live.

Lawless

Number of posts : 4788
Where I am : SUN Diego
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast   Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:13 pm

It's prime time for the sharks to start showing up and you're an idiot to be out there. That's my opinion.

Me... I will go swimming in a pool, where the only shark that I will see would be of the plastic, blow-up, sort. Nice and safe.

fuscia

PostSubject: Re: Fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast   Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:07 pm

We have so many seals off the coast here, and the seals are a major problem for some people in La Jolla because they have taken over the Children's pool to have their pups. It is only logical that seal pups=large sharks. Great whites swim deep in the water and come up in an ambush type attack. It's not like you are going to see them from the sand. Still, this is one of those sad and freak attacks. They are saying that the man was a retired veterinarian.

lodgebo

Number of posts : 524
Where I am : Edinburgh where drink is cheap and women are cheaper
Registration date : 2007-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast   Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:40 pm

While I agree it's a terrible incident for the poor mans family we can't blame the shark and I would dissapointed if the authorities or some locals took it upon themselves to get some kind of revenge by killing a shark.
It may sound a horrible thing to say but if you go in water that may have sharks you have to accept that you may get bitten or worse, you are in thier domain and playing buy thier rules and I think it's hard for us humans to accept that you are dropping down a notch on the food chain when sharks are about.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr. F

Number of posts : 1216
Where I am : san diego
Registration date : 2007-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast   Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:34 pm

Swim was regular outing for shark bite victim

The great white may have mistaken the triathlete for a seal or sea lion

Sandy Huffaker / AP
Two women console one another after viewing the body of a 66-year old swimmer who was killed by a shark while training with a group of triathletes off the coast in Solana Beach, Calif. on Friday, April 25, 2008.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr. F

Number of posts : 1216
Where I am : san diego
Registration date : 2007-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast   Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:44 pm

Its sad that people get killed by wild animals, but it beats not having any wildlife at all. Any ''revenge killing'' would be a pointless exercise in futility. There is a whole ocean full of Great Whites.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Schmiggens

Number of posts : 1397
Where I am : 'Straylia
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast   Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:40 am

We have heaps of shark attacks in Australia, sometimes they kill the shark if it keeps hanging around in a popular swimming beach.

People have to understand that it's the sharks territory and we're in it, not the other way around.

Lodgebo's got it right, in the water they're higher on the food chain than us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end

PostSubject: Re: Fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast   Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:20 am

I like animals, mammals, fish, etc... but fuck that shark.

Shark kills a person, it needs to be assasinated.

Tell you what, shark kills someone I know, I am going to declare fucking war on sharks. Not only will I snipe that shark, but every shark in that same body of water.

Sharks are higher on the food chain? Since when? Did I miss the human vs. shark war where we lost? We're at the top. We own this planet. Period, the end, the rest is PETA bullshit. I don't care if they're chief of the water. We are humans, we can go on land, and swim. If the sharks don't like it, they can get the fuck out.

Now, I am a firm believer that we should leave animals, fish, what the F ever in their natural habitat. Leave them totally alone. But if someone I care about happens to be walking around in Zambia and a MF'n tiger eats his shit for lunch, well, that tiger's head will be on my wall one way or the other. I will play the song 'Eye Of The Tiger' as I mount it, too.

How can you not blame the shark? Okay, so someone get back to me on this... what if a dog eats your baby? A bird gives your grandma bird flu and she goes tits up? Let's not blame the animal? Who do you blame?

A shark murdered a person. See, in human court, that's the death penalty in most cases. And there is no fish court. Hunting sharks for fun is legal. Ergo, hunt that motherfucker down and gut him up the middle.

If you disagree. Just imagine the person you care about the most. Thinking about them? Have them in your mind? Now imagine their brutal death as they're being eaten by a fucking shark.

Next time I go to SeaWorld I am punching one of those little sharks in the face.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

Number of posts : 4788
Where I am : SUN Diego

PostSubject: Re: Fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast   Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:22 am

Yes, in the ocean, the shark is on the top of the food chain. Not humans. We don't "OWN" this world.

fuscia

PostSubject: Re: Fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast   Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:08 pm

Great white sharks are protected in California. They were looking for the shark just to be able to alert swimmers and surfers (not that our idiot surfers would get out of the water for anything).

HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast   Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:32 pm

Hells yeah we own this world. If not humans, then who? Not the damn dirty apes, not the sharks.

I say the shark protection is null and void when they start snacking on people.

Our planet. We can save the sharks or smoke 'em. They better act wise before we make them extinct.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
lodgebo

PostSubject: Re: Fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast   Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:56 pm

well the sharks were here first and they kept thier ass in thier part of the world we are the dumbasses that decided to go back to the water. IMO if you go in waters and you get bitten in fact if you go in the sea and get hurt I have no sympathy you don't belong there you run the risk of being hurt or worse thems the breaks. Don't blame the wildlife for doing what comes natural to them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast   Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:38 pm

I agree that if you go in their part of the world and get bitten off, your bad for sure. Doesn't mean that the shark doesn't get speared for it though.

They were here first. And just might be here after. Right now, it's our show.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

Number of posts : 7098
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER

PostSubject: Re: Fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast   Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:28 pm

I'm thinking if any animal kills a human, least we can do is whack em back.

Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down to the pond and chasing bluegills and tommycocks. This shark, swallow you whole. No shakin', no tenderizin', down you go. And we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back your tourists, put all your businesses on a payin' basis. But it's not gonna be pleasant. I value my neck a lot more than three thousand bucks, chief. I'll find him for three, but I'll catch him, and kill him, for ten. But you've gotta make up your minds. If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's too many captains on this island. Ten thousand dollars for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing.

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nymphadora

Number of posts : 4023
Where I am : North Carolina

PostSubject: Re: Fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast   Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:28 pm

Yeah, it's like if a dog bites your kid in the face they put it down. Doesn't matter if the kd pulled it tail and the dog was just acting like an animal, it has to die.

PostSubject: Re: Fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast   Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:31 am

I think with dogs it slightly different, they're domesticated animals, not wild animals.

If you have a dog that's psycho (like me) you have to be aware of that and not let kids play with it. If my dog bit a kid I'd expect to have to put it down.
My dog attacked another dog (stupid f**king poodley thing, not even a real bloody dog) and we thought we'd have to get him put down then, but they never reported it or anything and then we moved, so too bad for them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

Number of posts : 9673
Where I am : 台北市

PostSubject: Re: Fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast   Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:40 am

My biggest fear is my dogs attacking something or someone. Though my German Shephard once jumped out of the yard and I saw it after about 10 minutse. A neighbour was running down the street towards it, screaming. I thought it'd be provoked by that, but it actually just tilted it head and stared (then I called her and she just walked inside). Other dogs is a tricky one. The German Shepherd likes to jump on other female dogs and bite them. Same with our Simoyed. The others are fine, but those two... they react unpredictably to different dogs.

PostSubject: Re: Fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast   Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:47 am

Domesticated or not they are animals. You can't blame them for behaving like animals. Ergo, dog bite kid most likly it will be put down, shark kill old dude it should be wacked to.

Ok fuck the dog example, if a bear came in your backyard and decided it wanted to snack on your ass you'd kill it right?
Your taking a walk in the woods and see a snake, most people would kill it if they could, and it doesn't even have to do anything.

My point is, people kill shit all the time for less than killing someone, so why should the shark get off easy cause it lives in the ocean, kill that fucker too, otherwise it's just not fair you know.

Last edited by Nymphadora on Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Schmiggens

PostSubject: Re: Fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast   Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:52 am

I kill sneaks all the time Smile

Sneaking around being sneaky, stupid sneaks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lodgebo

PostSubject: Re: Fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast   Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:33 am

I got a question for those people that want the shark executed for no more than revenge.
Lets say there is a dude in Africa and he walks into a pack of lions and they kill him whose fault is it? do we blame the lions for killing him or do we blame him for walking in amongst them?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

Number of posts : 7098
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER

PostSubject: Re: Fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast   Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:09 am

Yeah, kill the lion.

In Florida, when Aligators kill and eat people, they always get the sucker, and they remove the remains from the stomach so they have some sort of burial. Give the loved ones something to put in the ground.

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lodgebo

PostSubject: Re: Fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast   Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:58 pm

So basically what we are saying is that the animals pay for the humans mistakes? I am willing to bet in 100% of shark attacks the humans were the ones that caued the problem ( they went into the sharks territory and thrash about like seals) and I would say 90% of wildlife attacks are caused by humans to.
Wild animals have 4 overriding instincts 1. defend there terroitory 2 protect the young 3 eat 4 reproduce and if we infringe on any of those instincts then we have placed ourselves in danger. it's not the animals it's the arrogmace and selfishness and the pig headedness of humans that have lead to these problems.
Whidden mentioned the Gators and somebody else mentioned bears I am not sure but I am willing to bet that in these cases the animals never hitchiked to the big city to scare people but in fact the people lived in areas where these animals lived already. If these animals were to harm somebody or worse yes it's a tragedy but these people put themselves in the firing line the gators and other would have been just as happy without the people living there.

As for Jaws well we could kill it but all it would prove is that we still go buy the theory of an eye for and eye and that we are worse than the shark.
Killing it is not a detterent you think the other sharks will stop hunting caused you executed one of thier own? it doesn't work like that sharks really don't care and who's to say you will get that exact shark how many great whites do you think are out there? all that will happen is that your going to end up pulling up any old shark and you will kill maybe 5 - 10 sharks to get at one, if that happens we have to ask ourselves who are the real bloodthirsty monsters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nymphadora

PostSubject: Re: Fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast   Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:15 pm

I wasn't saying it was right to kill the shark. I just thought it was funny that some people are all "I hope they don't kill the shark, cause it's just an animal." People kill animals all the time for less, domesticated, wild, doesn't make a difference. So I'm just trying to see the logic in how it's okay to kill them for this but not for that. And we as humans are biologically animals. We too have instincts, and you better believe one of mine is if someone or something messes with my family, you better believe they will pay accordingly. Now I'm not sure what that would intel, but I can't for sure say I wouldn't want it dead.

Oh and aligators in Florida get euthanized if they are over a certain length wether they hurt someone or not don't they?

PostSubject: Re: Fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast   Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:18 am

Well I don't think they should be killing any of those animals at all espeically if all the animal is doing is what come naturally. I hear what you are saying about us and our instincts and you are exactly right we have the exact same instincts as any other animal on this planet the only thing is we belive that only our instincts are important and have total disregard to everything elses.

I don't know what happens with gators in Florida maybe if there is a member who lives in Florida they can tell us how it works. I hope that is npt true and lets call a spade a spade they murder the gators. Anyway gators, sharks whatever animal you want these attacks only happen when we infringe on the territory thats a fact you don't want to get bitten by a shark then sty out the water you don't want you puppy or kitten to be a gator snack move away from the everglades problem solved.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast   

Back to top Go down

Fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next