HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Woman held in cellar for 24 years

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Whidden

Number of posts : 7017
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Woman held in cellar for 24 years   Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:21 pm

Austrian woman says father held her in cellar for 24 years

By VERONIKA OLEKSYN 3 hours ago
VIENNA, Austria (AP) Police have found a woman missing since 1984, who told authorities that her father had kept her in a cellar for almost 24 years and that she had given birth to at least six children after being repeatedly raped by him.
The 73-year-old father was taken into custody, said Franz Polzer, head of the Lower Austrian Bureau of Criminal Affairs, on Sunday.
Authorities found the woman Saturday evening in the town of Amstetten following a tip, Lower Austria police said in a statement.
The 42-year-old woman told police that her father began sexually abusing her when she was 11 and locked her in a room in the cellar on Aug. 28, 1984.
During the 24 years that followed, she said she was continually abused and gave birth to six children, the statement said. She said she gave birth to twins in 1996 but one died several days later; police said they were investigating.
Police said in the statement the woman appeared "greatly disturbed" psychologically during questioning. She agreed to talk only after authorities assured her that she would no longer have to have contact with her father and that her children would be taken care of.
DNA tests are expected to determine whether the man is the father of the six surviving children, according to police.
Police said three of the children were registered with authorities and lived with the grandparents. The other three children were apparently held captive in the cellar with their mother, Polzer told reporters in broadcast remarks.
The Austria Press Agency said the three boys and three girls range in age from 5 and 20. One of the children, a 19-year-old woman, was being hospitalized in very serious condition, according to Austrian broadcaster ORF.

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

Number of posts : 4788
Where I am : SUN Diego

PostSubject: Re: Woman held in cellar for 24 years   Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:52 pm

That is so sick shit!! I hope that they hang the old bastard.

lodgebo

Number of posts : 524
Where I am : Edinburgh where drink is cheap and women are cheaper
Registration date : 2007-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Woman held in cellar for 24 years   Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:01 pm

yeah that si really sick, I don't know how some people can be so evil especially to your child. Does anyone know if the children were held in the celler with her or where they allowed to lead "normal lives"?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

Number of posts : 7017
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER

PostSubject: Re: Woman held in cellar for 24 years   Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:49 pm

I think 3 lived up top with the pervert, and 3 lived in the cellar with the captive daughter/mom.

I can't fatham it at all. Since 1984 living in that hell.

DAMN.

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lodgebo

PostSubject: Re: Woman held in cellar for 24 years   Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:28 pm

I am willing to bet that the 3 that lived up top were more than likely the boys he would want to keep all the girls together in case he got tired of his eldest daughter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

Number of posts : 9666
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Woman held in cellar for 24 years   Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:14 pm

Just saw this on CNN. It's just insane.

I don't buy that his wife had no idea, though.

Number of posts : 4023
Where I am : North Carolina

PostSubject: Re: Woman held in cellar for 24 years   Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:26 pm

How could his wife have no idea, that's just insane.
I couldn't imagine. The police said she seemed "greatly disturbed"...well no shit.

PostSubject: Re: Woman held in cellar for 24 years   Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:33 pm

Exactly, she'd been caught out, so she was upset...

But, seriously, her daughter had 6 kids in that basement, apparently... that's the kind of shit you hear happening, right? A woman screaming like all hell? I would think so.

The story itself is just crazy though. Just... how... just... wh... tsk, I don't know where to begin.

PostSubject: Re: Woman held in cellar for 24 years   Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:42 pm

I know, there is just so much messed up in that story.

PostSubject: Re: Woman held in cellar for 24 years   Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:49 am

And three of the children lived with them... so, what's the wife like, "Oh, my husband just brought these kids home one day, and we've been raising them. Don't know whose children they are... but, I just went along with it. And as for the screaming in the basement... well, my husband just told me that it was ghosts. I believed him."

How in the bloody hell can she just not know anything? PLEASE!!!!

gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Woman held in cellar for 24 years   Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:55 am

73 years old though... I mean... I reckon a 43 year old lady could take a 73 year old in a fair fight.

Though she may be seriously malnourished, and her mental state must be... just... spoinked out.

PostSubject: Re: Woman held in cellar for 24 years   Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:01 am

true, but she does have 3 kids with her too, one was 19, you'd thinkmaybe the 4 of them could do something, but that's the thing, we don't have many details so who knows.

Number of posts : 1397
Where I am : 'Straylia
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Woman held in cellar for 24 years   Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:33 am

She'd have developed Stokholm Syndrone for sure by that time. The daughter probably thinks its perfectly normal to live in a basement, people held captive for that long are totally brainwashed and will believe anything the captor tells them, they end up loving and needing the person who's kidnapped them.

The way that news article has phrased what she said has made it sound like the daughter was saying the experience was horrible, but I bet she never used the words "raped" or "sexually abused". They said that the "woman appeared "greatly disturbed" psychologically" but that stress could be at the stress of being taken from the only life she's known in 24 years.

That kind of thing seriously f**ks people up. That takes YEARS of therapy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lodgebo

PostSubject: Re: Woman held in cellar for 24 years   Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:22 am

Stockholm syndrome is very difficult to cure it's not uncommon for those who have it to actauuly lash out at those that have come to get them and sometime you can't be cured.

I am just wondering about the guys wife and wether she knew but was to scared to do something I just think that it's not beyond the realms of possibility that if this guy was willing to rape and beat up his daughter that his wife may have got the same treatment as well for all we know she may have been held against her will in that house.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

PostSubject: 'House of Horror' children never saw daylight   Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:08 pm

AMSTETTEN, Austria (CNN) -- Three children freed from a cellar in which their mother had been imprisoned and raped by her own father for 24 years had never seen daylight, police in Austria have confirmed.

Police spokesman Franz Polzer told CNN that 73-year-old Josef Fritzl admitted holding his daughter, Elisabeth Fritzl, 42, hostage in the windowless cell and fathering seven children by her.

"The mother had memories [of the outside world] and got used to the situation," Polzer told a press conference Monday afternoon. "The others knew nothing else."

The main question reverberating from the small Austrian town: how could a man keep his daughter locked in his basement for 24 years, where she gave birth to seven of his children while her mother and three of those children lived upstairs without an inkling of the horrors in the cellar?

Fritzl explained Elisabeth's disappearance by saying she had run away from home, a story backed up by letters he forced Elisabeth to write, including one that begged her parents not to look for her.

Other letters made it seem the missing daughter had left the three children on the parents' doorstep -- when in fact they had been born in captivity in the family's basement.

Elisabeth told police that she and her three children Kerstin, 19; Stefan, 18; and Felix, 5, did not see the light of day during their entire time in captivity underneath the building in Amstetten, a rural town about 150 km (93 miles) west of Vienna.

Elisabeth is described as "very disturbed" and having trouble talking to police about her ordeal, reports CNN correspondent Fred Pleitgen. She went missing in 1984, when she was 18 years old, police have said.

More details also emerged at the news conference about the basement dungeon in which the daughter and her children were kept -- and how her father managed to keep them captive for more than two decades.

The authorities have revealed that the prison, constructed in the basement of the 1960s building, ran underneath both the building itself and the garden outside.

The entrance was via a small door, hidden behind cupboards in the basement, controlled by an electronic keyless-entry system. Polzer said that the prison was hard to find, even if someone was looking for it, and had been soundproofed.

"Even though they shouted and called they were not in a position to let anyone hear them," Polzer told the press conference.

Polzer said that Fritzl made clear to his wife and other children that the area was out of bounds and they were not to go into the basement. He bought food and took it to his captives in the evening.

Detectives made the grim discovery about the cellar earlier this month after Kerstin was hospitalized in Amstetten after falling unconscious and taken to a hospital in Amstetten by her grandfather with a SOS note from her mother hidden on her.

A DNA test was later carried out which revealed her grandfather, Josef Fritzl, was also her father, according to ORF, Austria's state-run news agency.

That sparked a police investigation, which revealed that Fritzl fathered at least six children with his daughter, forcing her and three of the surviving children to live in the cellar of his house, according to ORF's Peter Schmitzberger.

On Sunday, police searched the hidden rooms where Fritzl admitted he kept his daughter and their children, including sleeping quarters, a kitchen and a bathroom, which Fritzl told police he built, Polzer said.

Amstetten police say they were put on Fritzl's trail following an anonymous tip off. They apprehended the pair on Saturday near the hospital and once police assured the daughter that she would never have contact with her father again, "she was able to tell the whole story," Schmitzberger said.

Elisabeth said her father began sexually abusing her at age 11. On August 8, 1984 -- weeks before she was reported missing -- her father enticed her into the basement, where he drugged her, put her in handcuffs and locked her in a room, she told police.

For the next 24 years, she was constantly raped by her father, resulting in the six surviving children, she said, according to the police statement.

She also told police she gave birth to twins in 1996, but one of the babies died a few days later as a result of neglect, and Fritzl removed the infant's body and burned it in an oven.

She told police that only her father supplied her and her children with food and clothing, and that she did not think his wife knew anything about their situation.

Fritzl lived upstairs with his wife, Rosemarie, who police said had no idea about her husband's other family living in the cellar. The couple adopted three of the children that Fritzl had with his daughter, according to police. He told his wife that his missing daughter had dropped the unwanted children off at the house because she could not take care of them, police said.

When Kerstin fell ill, Fritzl apparently told his wife and the hospital that his "missing" daughter had dropped off the sick girl on his doorstep.

In an effort to find out about Kerstin's condition, the hospital and police asked the media to put out a bulletin requesting any information about the girl or her missing mother, attorney general Gerhard Sedlacek told NTV.

Sometime later, Fritzl brought Elisabeth out of the cellar, telling his wife that she had returned home with her two children after a 24-year absence, police said.

He took Elisabeth to the hospital to talk with doctors about Kerstin's condition, and at that point, authorities became aware of her situation, Sedlacek said.

CNN's Fred Pleitgen, Ben Brumfield and Nadine Schmidt contributed to this report.

Copyright 2008 CNN. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Associated Press contributed to this report.

gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Woman held in cellar for 24 years   Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:26 pm

Okay, that's the story laid out pretty clearly...

Still sickening. Yoyo and I watched the press conference in Australia yesterday on CNN. The police and prosecutors all seem very disturbed by this case.

PostSubject: Re: Woman held in cellar for 24 years   Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:03 am

Was there not a case like this last year in Vienna as well?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Schmiggens

Number of posts : 1397
Where I am : 'Straylia
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Woman held in cellar for 24 years   Wed May 21, 2008 10:49 pm

Fritzl daughter 'making recovery'

Josef Fritzl has said he was driven by "an addiction"

Austrian doctors say the eldest daughter of Elisabeth Fritzl, the woman imprisoned for 24 years by her father, is showing signs of recovery.

Kerstin, 19, is still on life support, but doctors are now considering whether to bring her out of an induced coma.
Her illness and admission to hospital led to the discovery of the cellar where the family was held.

Elisabeth and her five other children are continuing to receive round the clock care at another clinic.

Dr Albert Reiter, from Amstetten hospital, said that the amount of sedation medication Kerstin is receiving has been slowly reduced and that for the first time her medical team is considering whether to begin the process of bringing her out of the coma.

However he could not say how long this would take.

Future plans

Josef Fritzl fathered seven children with his daughter Elisabeth - one of whom died when very young, three of whom were kept imprisoned in his cellar, and three others who went on to live with Mr Fritzl as his adopted or fostered children.

Mr Fritzl's alleged crimes came to light when Kerstin became seriously ill in April.

She was allowed out of the cellar and admitted to hospital in Amstetten.

Police then issued an appeal to Elisabeth Fritzl to contact them about her daughter, and later picked up Mr Fritzl and Elisabeth near the hospital.

Dr Berthold Kepplinger, director of the psychiatric clinic where Elisabeth and her five other children are being treated, says the family is being given advice on making plans for the future.

He said teachers have begun giving the children lessons and that they are spending time reading books and playing computer games and table football.

Over recent weeks, the clinic has been besieged by paparazzi photographers. Dr Kepplinger appealed to the media to leave the family alone and said they needed privacy to recuperate.

Mr Fritzl is being held in police custody and has not yet been formally charged. He has said he was driven by an addiction that "got out of control".

- BBC
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Woman held in cellar for 24 years   Wed May 21, 2008 11:37 pm

He hasn't been formally charged? I mean, as long as he's in custody... but... what's taking so long?

Addiction that got out of control? What is that... he got addicted to banging his daughter? You don't fucking do it in the first place, how can you get addicted to it? Freakin' monster.

PostSubject: Re: Woman held in cellar for 24 years   Thu May 22, 2008 5:34 am

I think diffrent countries do things in differnt ways but in defemnce of the Austrian authorities this was a crime that was carried ot for so many years that you want to gather as much evidence as you can for example I think they were waiting to see the staust of his dauhghter as she was in a bad way last month and he might have been charged with murder as well. All this evidence gathering takes time but it' better having one case and charging him with everything at once as opposed to dragging this out over 9 or 10 court cases and the subsquent appeals of everyone of those cases would mean that at his age he might not pay for crimes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Woman held in cellar for 24 years   Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:52 am

Incest dungeon teen wants to see ocean

(CNN) -- The 19-year-old woman whose hospitalization exposed a shocking Austrian incest case is recovering well, and wants to see the ocean and a pop concert, her doctors and a family lawyer said Wednesday.
Doctor Albert Reiter

She and other children who were held captive for years are also slowly adapting to modern life, they said.

Kerstin Fritzl, who doctors placed in an artificial coma after she was admitted to a hospital in April for multiple organ failure, is now well enough to speak, stand and walk with assistance, her doctors said.

Doctors said "little novelties" such as seeing a cloud go by are now big events for the former captives.

Kerstin has said she wants to see the ocean and go to a concert by Robbie Williams, the British singer, said Dr. Berhold Kepplinger, director of the clinic where the family are now living.

He described how excited Kerstin was to hear Robbie Williams songs in her hospital room, and that she was moving around to the music so much that doctors even had to quiet her down.

It was then, Kepplinger said, that doctors became confident Kerstin can eventually become fully healthy and develop normally. Her immune system has improved and she is continuing to have physiotherapy, including strengthening exercises, he said. Video Watch doctors describe what happened when the teen opened her eyes

The two parts of her family -- those who were locked in a basement, like Kerstin, and those who lived above ground, apparently unaware of the abuse of their mother and siblings -- are getting to know each other again, the doctors and the family's lawyer said.

"We are so glad that things have turned out so positively so far," said lawyer Christoph Herbst, who appeared at a news conference at a hotel near Amstetten, west of Vienna, where Kerstin and her family are now recovering.

Kerstin is the oldest daughter of an incestuous relationship between her mother, Elisabeth, 43, and Elisabeth's father, Josef Fritzl, 73, according to police. He is awaiting trial.

Police say he confessed to holding Elisabeth captive since 1984 and raping her repeatedly, fathering seven children with her. Six of the children survived.

Kerstin fell unconscious in April and Elisabeth persuaded her father that she needed urgent medical attention. Kerstin was admitted to a hospital in Amstetten, where staff grew suspicious and called police, who opened an investigation and uncovered the abuse.

Kerstin was suffering from kidney, lung, and liver failure when she arrived at the hospital, said Dr. Albert Reiter, director of the hospital. Doctors were able to turn her health around but they kept her in a coma with artificial respiration for weeks, he said.

Doctors started reducing Kerstin's medication May 12, allowing her to emerge from the coma, he said. Three days later, she opened her eyes and smiled at her carers, he said, and doctors were soon able to take the breathing tube from her throat.

Her mother was at Kerstin's bedside regularly, and doctors credited that with helping Kerstin's health improve.

Sunday, Kerstin finally met with other family members and was able to say hello to them, he said. Kerstin and the rest of the family were also able to move into an apartment at a regional clinic nearby.

"It was a special moment where, walking, we were able to support her and cross the threshold into a new house and into a new life," Reiter said.

Kerstin and two of her brothers, ages 18 and 5, had spent their entire lives trapped in the cellar with their mother, never seeing daylight. A television was their only contact with the outside world.

The other three children Josef Fritzl fathered with Elisabeth were taken as infants to live above ground with Fritzl and his wife, who says she had no idea her daughter was being held captive.

In recent weeks, the wife and the three children have had several meetings with Kerstin and the others formerly held in the basement. The doctors said all are receiving therapy and are getting to know each other.

"It is clear that (the two sides) have a different temper of life," Kepplinger said. "These different ways of living, the two parts of the family, still have to come to some agreement."

Still, the entire family is "very happy" to be reunited, Herbst said. "This is an incredible drawing-near to each other. There is incredible joy among them," he said. "It is wonderful to see the way they are living together."

He appealed to the public and the media to give the family privacy.

There continues to be "big ambivalence" about the "grandfather issue," as Kepplinger called it, and therapists are helping the family members cope with the complicated relationship they have with each other and with Fritzl, who is now behind bars.

PostSubject: Re: Woman held in cellar for 24 years   

Back to top Go down

Woman held in cellar for 24 years
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1