HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Off Topic

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
AuthorMessage
Pippin

Number of posts : 774
Where I am : Washington
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic   Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:53 am

Genesis was nice but I might have to skip the rest of Exodus. It's been pages and pages of God giving exact measurements and orders for everything involved in worshipping him. If I wanted to read pages and pages of micromanagement then I'd just check my work email.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

Number of posts : 7053
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic   Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:26 pm

It can get boring, but remember the jews there made an agreement with God to keep his law and they would be blessed or cursed by it. Then in the context of the bible it would really happen to them.

Spoiler alert: when you read the rest, there were some superheroes, but they ultimately failed and failed hard.

Like we all do I figure.  Question  Arrow  Exclamation

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pippin

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic   Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:54 pm

You're right, I hadn't thought about it in that way. People wanted to be absolutely sure that they got every detail right because there would be consequences if they didn't.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic   Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:09 pm

You want anymore spoilers, I can sum it up for you, lol.

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pippin

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic   Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:53 pm

Is Lilith in the Bible? In my Lucifer comic books and in True Blood, she is Adam's wife before Eve. I've read that story somewhere else before so it didn't surprise me when I saw it on TV, but I'm curious if that story actually came from the Bible or from somewhere else.

The story that I've heard is that a woman was made for Adam but she was monstrous, so Adam sent her away without naming her. Then God made Lilith, and she refused to be submissive to him. She said that because she was made from the Earth like he was, she was his equal and should get to initiate sex and be on top sometimes. Adam sent her away, and then he went to sleep and that's when God took his rib and made Eve. Lilith went out into the world and birthed demons.

I'm all through Genesis now, though, and I didn't see the name Lilith even once.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pippin

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic   Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:06 pm

Okay I looked it up. The story of Lilith comes from Jewish folklore and was first written down centuries after the New Testament. It was to explain why there are two different Genesis creation stories concerning humans -- that God made man and woman at the same time, and that he made man then later made woman.

In the story, Lilith was made at the same time as Adam and was his equal. She was uppity and also wanted to be on top during sex, which was not okay with Adam. Lilith left the Garden, and God made Adam a new wife. He made in her front of Adam, though, and when Adam saw all the guts and squishy parts that are inside humans, he was too grossed out to be with his new wife. She left the Garden. Then Adam went to sleep, and it was while he was sleeping that God made Eve.

That's the way the story was told in The Sandman comic books. I mis-remembered that it was from Lucifer because the Lucifer comics are a spin-off from The Sandman.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic   Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:17 pm

yeah, lithith was a jewish folklore deal, not found in the bible.

Lithith is however, the leader of the island on Lost before she gave it to Jacob.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pippin

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic   Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:19 pm

I forgot about that. I miss Lost. I've started watching Wrecked just to reminisce.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic   Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:41 pm

Per the bible Pippin,

when I read Psalms I zone out. just do. can't get through it. it's all song lyrics.

I love song lyrics when they go with the song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp0BjFl-a1Y

I like Far from any road. love the lyrics, love the tune. It blends so awesome together, it feels spiritual.

I wish I could read psalms and hear the music, but the music part is absent.

If I just read far from any road, I'd be bored to death. When I hear it with the song, I grasp for many meanings like I would from a complicated movie.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic   Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:47 pm

When the last light warms the rocks
And the rattlesnakes unfold
Mountain cats will come to drag away your bones.

that verse wouldn't have any meaning to me, unless I heard it with the music.

with the music, I feel something in my heart.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic   Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:48 pm

I wish I could read psalms like that, but I can't, it's just lyrics. Lyrics without the music is boring to me.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic   Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:19 pm

And rise with me forever
Across the silent sand
And the stars will be your eyes
And the wind will be my hands

without the music, it's poetry and I don't get poetry. with the music it blows me away.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic   Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:40 pm

then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you hear and read the lyrics from someone else and it makes more sense. or less.

but you feel something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojBnTom9aL4

that's the way I see the bible.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pippin

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic   Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:05 am

My ten-year class reunion is tonight and tomorrow night. Tonight we're watching the high school homecoming football game and going to the bonfire afterward. That's the bring-your-kids event. Tomorrow is the adults-only event in the upstairs of a bar/restaurant.

I'm nervous! I'm planning my outfits in my head while I'm at work, and it feels like I'm getting ready for Prom or a date. I want to look nice without looking overdressed, and I want to look hot without looking like I want to go home with anyone.

I was sort of invisible in high school, which might be the best spot to be in -- I wasn't picked on but I also wasn't the "it" girl that might worry about maintaining her old reputation. I only got noticed in my final year when I was automatically cool to three grades worth of people just because I was a Senior.

I didn't date anyone when I was in high school but I did date one of my old classmates a few years after we graduated. Ugh, I don't want to see him. We didn't work out as friends after we broke up. We saw each other twice after he dumped me: at a friend's wedding, where he yelled at me from the top of a flight of stairs; and at our five-year reunion, where he threw stuff at me. Now he's married and hopefully he's mellowed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic   Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:20 pm

thats some fun stuff for a story... ha ha.

not fun in real life.

sounds like an angry fellow.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pippin

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic   Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:43 am

He didn't show up. It was a fun time! I wish I had brought my camera, but there are a few pictures floating around that other people took.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pippin

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic   Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:31 pm

Here's the group picture from the reunion. Unfortunately a couple people had left before the picture, but I think the count was around 17 classmates. Pretty good for a class of 66!

I'm in the back with the glasses. I'm druuuunk.

There were some interesting professions shared. The bearded guy in the back is a professional poker player, the guy with the tidy black beard designs the art for video games. There were three nurses, one accountant, and one woman who does some unnamed job with the Portland Housing Association. Several blue-color workers: paper mill employee, longshore woman, construction worker, a guy who makes the ceiling tiles that are perfect for catching pencils, and a guy who machines parts for guns.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic   Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:03 pm

Y'all look happy. drunk is fun times with friends!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pippin

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic   Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:15 pm

I had a blast. I don't understand when people don't want to go to school reunions. My brother didn't go to his because he says that all the people that he wants to see, he already stays in contact with. I was excited to see people that I hadn't talked to in years. Just because I wasn't friends with everyone in high school doesn't mean that we can't share some laughs and memories now. There were even people who came that weren't in our graduating class.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pippin

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic   Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:20 pm

I haven't been that drunk in a while, though! I had a pretty bad hangover the next morning. Took me right back to college, which was probably the last time that I had a nasty hangover.

One time I went to an 8am history class, and I was running late so didn't have breakfast to help with my hangover. I was in the front row, draped over my desk, trying not to barf. The professor gave a lecture on the Greek Stoics, and their philosophy on how a little of anything can go a long way. GOT IT, PROF Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic   Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:38 pm

Less is more?!?!?!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pippin

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic   Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:26 pm

I heard a cool story from my grandpa today. My grandpa is 86 and is a Korean War veteran. My mom mentioned that he had a luger, so today I asked him what the story was with that. I figured that it was a WW2 weapon but I wondered how he got it, since he wasn't in that war or even near Germany. He said that the gun has the date 1918 on it, and he won it in a poker game when he was in Korea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic   Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:50 pm

Korean war was a lost war to the folks of the 1965and beyond. thats when i grew up.

mash was on. mash sucks. mash made a joke comedy joke out of war. the korean war was a real war when people killed other people and they died. life is real. it happens.

I am glad you have your grandpa. I lost mine in 1998. He was the best thing to happen to my life. he was a flawed man, like we all are, but he loved me when i was a kid, teenager, young man wife a marriage, etc.

can't wait to see my loved ones in the afterlife.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pippin

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic   Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:13 pm

Man! There's a Thanksgiving potluck at work but it's on a day that I don't work. Most of us work four ten-hour shifts, but it's not all the same days. All the swing shift people are out of luck, too. I don't know why the potluck isn't at least in the hour of cross-over time between the two shifts.

I guess we're expected to drive to work on our days off? If I still lived a half hour from work I'd be grumpy about that. And for the swing shift people, they're supposed to wake up in the middle of their night to come to work, enjoy the feast, then go home and go back to bed?

I say nay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fuscia

Number of posts : 2300
Where I am : INSane Diego

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic   Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:49 pm

Hey everybody! I'm popping in to say hi and wish you all a happy Thanksgiving. My kids are big now. Damon is 18 and studying to be a car mechanic. Nikki is kicking ass as a junior in AP classes. I'm currently obsessed with Jerry on the Walking Dead. At last a new interesting character.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Off Topic   

Back to top Go down

Off Topic
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 40 of 41Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41  Next