HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Russia and Georgia on brink of war

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
lodgebo

Number of posts : 524
Where I am : Edinburgh where drink is cheap and women are cheaper
Registration date : 2007-11-20

PostSubject: Russia and Georgia on brink of war   Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:30 pm

DZHAVA, Georgia - Russia sent columns of tanks and reportedly bombed Georgian air bases Friday after Georgia launched a major military offensive Friday to retake the breakaway province of South Ossetia, threatening to ignite a broader conflict.
Hundreds of civilians were reported dead in the worst outbreak of hostilities since the province won defacto independence in a war against Georgia that ended in 1992. Witnesses said the South Ossetian capital of Tskhinvali was devastated.

"I saw bodies lying on the streets, around ruined buildings, in cars," said Lyudmila Ostayeva, 50, who had fled with her family to Dzhava, a village near the border with Russia. "It's impossible to count them now. There is hardly a single building left undamaged."
The fighting broke out as much of the world's attention was focused on the start of the Olympic Games and many leaders, including Russia's Prime Minister Vladimir Putin and President Bush, were in Beijing.
The timing suggests Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili may have been counting on surprise to fulfill his longtime pledge to wrest back control of South Ossetia a key to his hold on power.
Saakashvili agreed the timing was not coincidental, but accused Russia of being the aggressor. "Most decision makers have gone for the holidays," he said in an interview with CNN. "Brilliant moment to attack a small country."
Diplomats called for another emergency session of the United Nations Security Council, its second since early Friday morning seeking to prevent an all-out war.
The United States was sending an envoy to the region on Friday to meet with the parties involved.
"We support Georgia's territorial integrity," State Department spokesman Gonzalo Gallegos told reporters. "We are working on mediation efforts to secure a cease-fire."
South Ossetian separatist leader Eduard Kokoity claimed hundreds of civilians had been killed.
Ten Russian peacekeepers were killed and 30 wounded when their barracks were hit in Georgian shelling, said Russian Ground Forces spokesman Col. Igor Konashenkov. Russia has soldiers in South Ossetia as peacekeeping forces but Georgia alleges they back the separatists.
Georgia, which borders the Black Sea between Turkey and Russia, was ruled by Moscow for most of the two centuries preceding the breakup of the Soviet Union. Georgia, a staunch U.S. ally, has angered Russia by seeking NATO membership a bid Moscow regards as part of a Western effort to weaken its influence in the region.
Speaking earlier on Georgian television, Saakashvili accused Russia of sending aircraft to bomb Georgian territory, which Russia denied.
Georgia's Foreign Ministry later accused Russian aircraft of bombing two military air bases inside Georgia, inflicting some casualties and destroying several military aircraft. Rustavi 2 television said four people were killed and five wounded at the Marneuli air base.
Russia's Defense Ministry said it was sending reinforcements for its peacekeepers, and Russian state television and Georgian officials reported a convoy of tanks had crossed the border. The convoy was expected to reach the provincial capital, Tskhinvali, by evening, Channel One television said.
Georgian State Minister for Reintegration Temur Yakobashvili said government troops were now in full control of the city.
"We are facing Russian aggression," said Georgia's Security Council chief Kakha Lomaya. "They have sent in their troops and weapons and they are bombing our towns."
Putin has warned that the Georgian attack will draw retaliation and the Defense Ministry pledged to protect South Ossetians, most of whom have Russian citizenship.
Chairing a session of his Security Council in the Kremlin, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev also vowed that Moscow will protect Russian citizens.
"In accordance with the constitution and federal law, I, as president of Russia, am obliged to protect lives and dignity of Russian citizens wherever they are located," Medvedev said, according to Russian news reports. "We won't allow the death of our compatriots go unpunished."
An AP reporter saw tanks and other heavy weapons concentrating on the Russian side of the border with South Ossetia supporting the Russian TV reports of an incursion. Some villagers were fleeing into Russia.
"I saw them (the Georgians) shelling my village," said Maria, who gave only her first name. She said she and other villagers spent the night in a field and then fled toward the Russian border as the fighting escalated.
Yakobashvili said Georgian forces have shot down four Russian combat planes over Georgian territory. He gave no details. Russia's Defense Ministry denied an earlier Georgia report about one Russian plane downed and has had no immediate comment on the latest claim.
Yakobashvili said that one Russian plane had dropped a bomb on the Vaziani military base near the Georgian capital, but no one was hurt.
More than 1,000 U.S. Marines and soldiers were at the base last month to teach combat skills to Georgian troops. Georgia has about 2,000 troops in Iraq, making it the third-largest contributor to coalition forces after the U.S. and Britain.
South Ossetia officials said Georgia attacked with aircraft, armor and heavy artillery. Georgian troops fired missiles at Tskhinvali, an official said, and many buildings were on fire.
Georgia's president said Russian aircraft bombed several Georgian villages and other civilian facilities.
"A full-scale aggression has been launched against Georgia," Saakashvili said in a televised statement. He also announced a full military mobilization with reservists being called into action.
A senior Russian diplomat in charge of the South Ossetian conflict, Yuri Popov, dismissed the Georgian claims of Russian bombings as misinformation, the RIA-Novosti news agency reported.
Russia's Defense Ministry denounced the Georgian attack as a "dirty adventure." "Blood shed in South Ossetia will weigh on their conscience," the ministry said in a statement posted on its Web site.
Russia's President Dmitry Medvedev later chaired a session of his Security Council in the Kremlin, vowing that Moscow will protect Russian citizens.
"In accordance with the constitution and federal law, I, as president of Russia, am obliged to protect lives and dignity of Russian citizens wherever they are located," Medvedev said, according to Russian news reports. "We won't allow the death of our compatriots go unpunished."
Saakashvili long has pledged to restore Tbilisi's rule over South Ossetia and another breakaway province, Abkhazia. Both regions have run their own affairs without international recognition since splitting from Georgia in the early 1990s and built up ties with Moscow.
Relations between Georgia and Russia worsened notably this year as Georgia pushed to join NATO and Russia dispatched additional peacekeeper forces to Abkhazia.
The Georgian attack came just hours after Saakashvili announced a unilateral cease-fire in a television broadcast late Thursday in which he also urged South Ossetian separatist leaders to enter talks on resolving the conflict.
Georgian officials later blamed South Ossetian separatists for thwarting the cease-fire by shelling Georgian villages in the area.
___
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

Number of posts : 4788
Where I am : SUN Diego
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Russia and Georgia on brink of war   Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:36 pm

WHEN will people, in general, ever figure out that war is a fucking waste of time, and precious lives?

lodgebo

PostSubject: Re: Russia and Georgia on brink of war   Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:49 pm

To be honest the arrogance and the hypocritical stance of the Russians astounds me. Peacekeepers are fine because that was what everyone agreed to but to send in combat ready troops over a legally recognised border was stupid what did they thing the Georgians would do? any country on earth would take a defensive stance which is what the Georgians are doing. When the fighting started the peacekeepers shuld have been deployed to the border to guarantee safe passage into Russia for those citizens with Russian passports not joining thier buddies for a fight.

However it's the hypocricy that really pisses me off, look at Chechnya in thier purest from the situation is the same you have 2 breakaway states and 2 governments trying to win them back buyt where as chechnya is apparently an internal Russian problem and the international community can go hang when they try to get involved Gerogias problem ( which is less severe) apparently needs the might of the Russian army and the poor donwtrodden people Ossetia are to be saved from the oppressive Georgian regime. Just to clairify I have no love foe the Chechyan people some of thier past actions have been deplorable but that a topic for a different day.

The worrying thing is that with the USbacking wioth Gerogia and Gerogia asking the west for help this could spiral out of control in a real bad way real quick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Schmiggens

Number of posts : 1397
Where I am : 'Straylia
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Russia and Georgia on brink of war   Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:00 am

I always thought Russia would be the one to start WW3.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lodgebo

PostSubject: Re: Russia and Georgia on brink of war   Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:39 pm

Apparently the Georgian government has announced a state of war with Russia for an initial 15 days. The EU and US have called for an end to the hostilitys but the language appears to indicate that the blame falls on Russia and not Georgia.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Russia and Georgia on brink of war   Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:56 pm

Great. All the US needs is to get involved in another countries political crap. And then, WE will be blamed for helping.

gaboman

Number of posts : 9666
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Russia and Georgia on brink of war   Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:29 am

If Georgia are expecting the US government to jump in and help, I feel they're going to get a BIIIIG surprise. They definitely need a wake up call.

PostSubject: Re: Russia and Georgia on brink of war   Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:59 am

Well not that I am saying the US would instantly jump in but the 3rd largest contingent of troops in Iraq are from Georgia and if the Gerogians felt thay had to recall those troops due to lack of international support against the Russians well the US might send in troops not as combat soldiers but as peacekeepers. I think though if there was to be any combat role you would see a NATO or EU force the EU especially don't need another war on thier doorstep after all we have only just sorted out the Yugoslavia mess.

I must say I am getting sick of the bully tactics that Russia has been deploying that area for the last 13 years and why is that Vladimir Outin the supposed PM is acting like a President? is it because as everyone suspects he still is the president.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dekka00

Number of posts : 1251
Where I am : Commonwealth of Virginia
Registration date : 2007-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Russia and Georgia on brink of war   Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:11 am

seems like things could escalate pretty doggone quick if US troops were to fight Russian troops
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lodgebo

PostSubject: Re: Russia and Georgia on brink of war   Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:35 pm

Well I wouldn't imagine there would be any engagement I think if either the US or a multinational force arrived in Gergioa to act in a peaceful mode then Russia at the very least would call it a day in terms of attacking Georgia and move back to the disoputed zone if nothing else. My main concern is that after a victory like this in Georgia will Russia attempt to give some other of it's enemeies like the Ukraine a bloody nose.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Schmiggens

PostSubject: Re: Russia and Georgia on brink of war   Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:43 am

It's always been on the cards, Russia has never been happy about losing the land it had before the USSR was disbanded.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end

PostSubject: Re: Russia and Georgia on brink of war   Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:36 pm

Man, if Russia thinks they can go into the deep south and mess with people in Georgia they have another thing coming. People in Atlanta don't mess with that shit.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Russia and Georgia on brink of war   Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:38 pm

Lawless wrote:
WHEN will people, in general, ever figure out that war is a fucking waste of time, and precious lives?

I think the Revolutionary War worked out pretty good for America. And if you like living in California, the Mexican-American War was a good deal too.

World War II was needed, or else we could all be goose stepping down the hallways at work.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Russia and Georgia on brink of war   Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:39 pm

Dekka00 wrote:
seems like things could escalate pretty doggone quick if US troops were to fight Russian troops

Won't happen. Russia and China are too tight.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Schmiggens

PostSubject: Re: Russia and Georgia on brink of war   Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:23 am

The END of WWII was needed, the BEGINNING wasn't.

No one needs to start a war.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Russia and Georgia on brink of war   Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:52 am

Schmiggens wrote:

I'm with you, Emma. Unfortunately, there are people in this world who wouldn't agree with us. Pathetic, isn't it? Some people actually BELIEVE that war is needed.

*goes back to her tree and hugs it*

fuscia

Number of posts : 2298
Where I am : INSane Diego

PostSubject: Re: Russia and Georgia on brink of war   Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:54 pm

HECK! wrote:
Man, if Russia thinks they can go into the deep south and mess with people in Georgia they have another thing coming. People in Atlanta don't mess with that shit.

-HECK!

Heck, Damon heard on the news that Georgia was being shelled by Russia, and he was scared. I had to explain that there is a country of Georgia and that our own Georgia was just fine.

I believe that Russia is unhappy that they do not have the resources of or have the influence over these former territories of the U.S.S.R. I believe Russia used this area as a way to try to oust the president of Georgia. I hope that the U.N. ends up coming in and that Russia gets out.

HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Russia and Georgia on brink of war   Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:48 pm

Schmiggens wrote:

Yes, the beginning wasn't. But that's Hitlers bad.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
lodgebo

PostSubject: Re: Russia and Georgia on brink of war   Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:35 pm

Apparently both countries have agrred an EU drawn up ceasfire agreement that call for both parties to fall back to th pre war positions. While that stops the fighting I have a funny feeling that this is not the end of it as far as Russia is concerned
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Russia and Georgia on brink of war   Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:39 pm

Well, Georgia too. They're concerned that South Ossetia is breaking away from them... and they won't take that lying down, apparently.

The irony of it is obviously lost on them.

PostSubject: Re: Russia and Georgia on brink of war   Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:28 pm

Well my concern is that Russia may start trying to use it's military might as a waring to other former soviet states especially Ukraine there are going to be a few presidents of breakaway states who have alot to think about in the next few days. Georgia was made an example of, Russia went way to far and was way over the top this past week and if you think it was only about Ossetia and the other breakaway city your mistaken this was a warning and chance for Putin to show Russia is not a fallen power.

While I get where Gaboman is coming from with the Georgia not getting the Irony the same could be said with Russias attiude towards this situation esp when you consider what Russia has consistently told the world regarding Chechnya i.e it's an internal affair and as such foreign powers should not be involved
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fuscia

PostSubject: Re: Russia and Georgia on brink of war   Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:33 pm

I totally agree with Lodgebo that Russia is sending a message to the other former Soviet States, especially Ukraine. Putin is not about to let any of those former states forget who is the power in the region.

gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Russia and Georgia on brink of war   Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:59 pm

Sure, Russia saw their opening and they went for it. Went way overboard, definitely. It'll keep a few former states quivering with fear for a while.

PostSubject: Re: Russia and Georgia on brink of war   Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:45 pm

The timing was amazing. Putin sitting next to Laura Bush, the athletes in the dark about what is going on while the opening ceremonies happen. He picked a time when all the world is watching.

John McCain came out with some strong rhetoric about Russia. He's not Ronald Reagan calling for the wall to come down, and Putin is no Gorbachev. I believe he and Obamba should keep their mouths shut about this crisis and allow the President and the State Department to give comments to the press. We do not need two men who want to be president making the situation worse.

It may be off topic, but I would be very interested to know how other members of the board feel about Russia and their latest agression. I was a teen in the 80's and I grew up afraid that a nuclear war would start. Maybe it was because my government teacher was the brother of a former secretary of the navy, or possibly because San Diego would be a possible target. Russia bullying the satellite states makes me very nervous.

gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Russia and Georgia on brink of war   Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:01 pm

You were only scared because the Republicans were in power. They lead with fear. You know it's true!

Umm... as for the Russian agression, yes... it's totally uncalled for, but I'm getting sick of the Georgian government's rhetoric. "Oooh, woe is us... the US government isn't doing enough, save us! Save us!"

I'm sorry, but if the US stepped in on this, the whole thing would just get worse. Peacekeepers would work, like lodgebo said, but it could still escelate.

They just need to work out a ceasefire! Piece of cake!

PostSubject: Re: Russia and Georgia on brink of war   

Back to top Go down

Russia and Georgia on brink of war
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next