HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Obama-Biden ticket ready to debut

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Lawless

avatar

Number of posts : 4788
Age : 47
Where I am : SUN Diego
Reputation : 10
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Obama-Biden ticket ready to debut   Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:16 am

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) -- Thousands of supporters were expected at a Saturday rally in Springfield, Illinois, to see the debut of Sen. Barack Obama and Delaware Sen. Joe Biden as a presidential ticket.


Delaware Sen. Joe Biden is Sen. Barack Obama's choice to be his vice-presidential running mate.





Obama, the presumptive Democratic nominee for president, announced his selection of Biden as his running mate with a 3 a.m. text message and a statement on his official Web site.

"Barack has chosen Senator Joe Biden to be our VP nominee," the text message said.

"Joe and I will appear for the first time as running mates this afternoon in Springfield, Illinois -- the same place this campaign began more than 19 months ago," Obama said in an e-mail sent to supporters Saturday morning.

"I'm excited about hitting the campaign trail with Joe, but the two of us can't do this alone," he wrote. "We need your help to keep building this movement for change."

Before the text messages were distributed, multiple Democratic sources confirmed to CNN early Saturday that Obama wanted the Delaware senator as his vice president. Watch Biden and Obama at 3 p.m. ET on CNN.com Live

On Friday, CNN learned three Democrats who had been considered contenders for the No. 2 spot, New York Sen. Hillary Clinton, Indiana Sen. Evan Bayh and Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine, had been ruled out. Watch CNN's John King break news of Biden being Obama's VP pick

"Sen. Obama has continued in the best traditions for the vice presidency by selecting an exceptionally strong, experienced leader and devoted public servant," Clinton said in a written statement Saturday morning.

"Sen. Biden will be a purposeful and dynamic vice president who will help Sen. Obama both win the presidency and govern this great country."

Biden's stock rose earlier this week after he returned from a two-day trip to the Republic of Georgia after Russian troops invaded.

Biden, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, brings decades of experience that could help counter GOP attacks on Obama's lack of experience in foreign policy. Watch what Biden would bring to an Obama presidency

Sen. John McCain's campaign quickly reacted to word that Biden would be Obama's running mate, calling attention to Biden's past comments about Obama's experience.

"There has been no harsher critic of Barack Obama's lack of experience than Joe Biden," McCain campaign spokesman Ben Porritt said in a written statement. iReport.com: iReporters ask if Biden was really the best choice

"Biden has denounced Barack Obama's poor foreign policy judgment and has strongly argued in his own words what Americans are quickly realizing -- that Barack Obama is not ready to be president." Watch McCain's new ad targeting Biden

In a debate during the Democratic primary contest, Biden raised questions about other candidates' foreign policy experience.

"Who among us is going to be able on Day One to step in and end the war? Who among us understands what to do about Pakistan? Who among us is going to pick up the phone and immediately interface with Putin and tell him to lay off Georgia because Saakashvili is in real trouble. Who among us knows what they're doing? I have 35 years of experience," Biden said.

During another debate, moderator George Stephanopoulos referred to some of Biden's comments on Obama.

"You were asked, 'Is he ready?' You said, 'I think he can be ready, but right now, I don't believe he is. The presidency is not something that lends itself to on-the-job training,'" Stephanopoulos said.

"I think I stand by that statement," Biden replied.

Biden, in a July interview, said he would choose Obama's judgment over John McCain's war record and foreign policy experience.

"But 20 years of experience that has not been very solid in terms of projecting what was going to happen just doesn't make you a better commander-in-chief," Biden said. "We don't need as a commander-in-chief a war hero. John's a war hero. We need someone with some wisdom."

Biden abandoned his own White House run after a poor showing in Iowa's first-in-the-nation caucuses. He also ran for the 1988 Democratic presidential nomination but dropped out after charges of plagiarism in a stump speech. Learn more about Biden

The 65-year-old was first elected to the Senate in 1972. Shortly afterward, his first wife and daughter were killed in a car accident. He considered resigning, but decided to continue with his political career.

Biden is serving out his sixth term, making him Delaware's longest-serving senator.

He is married and has three children. He received his undergraduate degree from the University of Delaware and got a law degree from Syracuse.

In 1988, Biden suffered an aneurysm and nearly died but has recovered fully.

One of Biden's grandfathers was a Pennsylvania state senator, according to the Almanac of American Politics.

Biden will make his first big speech as the vice-presidential candidate on Wednesday, August 27 -- the third night of the Democratic convention.

_________________
~If you want do anything worthwhile today, 'do it' with a woman.~
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lawlessone23.livejournal.com/
fuscia

avatar

Number of posts : 2304
Age : 50
Where I am : INSane Diego
Reputation : 95
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Obama-Biden ticket ready to debut   Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:44 pm

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers

I preferred Biden to Obama, and I believe he is the perfect guy for the job. He's the best man for foreign relations, and I think he shores up where Barack is weak.

_________________
oh yeah? well my husband honks at the deaf.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.sherryzod.etsy.com
Lawless

avatar

Number of posts : 4788
Age : 47
Where I am : SUN Diego
Reputation : 10
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Obama-Biden ticket ready to debut   Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:11 am

I'm with you, Sherry... I was happy with Obama's pick for a running mate. Smile Let's hope that this is the ticket to beat in '08.

_________________
~If you want do anything worthwhile today, 'do it' with a woman.~
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lawlessone23.livejournal.com/
gaboman

avatar

Number of posts : 9729
Age : 37
Where I am : 台北市
Reputation : 13
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Obama-Biden ticket ready to debut   Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:51 pm

So are you two going to vote now?

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

avatar

Number of posts : 4788
Age : 47
Where I am : SUN Diego
Reputation : 10
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Obama-Biden ticket ready to debut   Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:09 am

I was always going to vote. Here's why...


In my opinion, if you don't vote, then you have NO RIGHT to voice your opinion for the next four years, one way or the other. Doesn't matter if you don't like the candidate. No vote = keep your pie hole shut. So, I'm going to do my cival duty and have my vote in for the November ballot.

_________________
~If you want do anything worthwhile today, 'do it' with a woman.~
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lawlessone23.livejournal.com/
HECK!

avatar

Number of posts : 6497
Age : 40
Where I am : Off the deep end
Reputation : 10
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Obama-Biden ticket ready to debut   Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:40 pm

Disagree.

Carlin said it best:

"I have solved this political dilemma in a very direct way: I don't vote. On Election Day, I stay home. I firmly believe that if you vote, you have no right to complain. Now, some people like to twist that around. They say, 'If you don't vote, you have no right to complain,' but where's the logic in that? If you vote, and you elect dishonest, incompetent politicians, and they get into office and screw everything up, you are responsible for what they have done. You voted them in. You caused the problem. You have no right to complain. I, on the other hand, who did not vote -- who did not even leave the house on Election Day -- am in no way responsible for that these politicians have done and have every right to complain about the mess that you created."


The country was bought and sold long ago. Popular vote means dick unless you're electing a carpool driver. Even then it's tricky.

Have fun on election day, I might just save some gas.

-HECK!

_________________
"Just because the monkey is off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

avatar

Number of posts : 6497
Age : 40
Where I am : Off the deep end
Reputation : 10
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Obama-Biden ticket ready to debut   Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:43 pm

Joe Biden. Heh.

Finish this sentence, Joe Biden stands for: __________.

Exactly.

-HECK!

_________________
"Just because the monkey is off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nymphadora

avatar

Number of posts : 4023
Age : 35
Where I am : North Carolina
Reputation : 6
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Obama-Biden ticket ready to debut   Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:13 pm

HECK! wrote:
Disagree.

Carlin said it best:

"I have solved this political dilemma in a very direct way: I don't vote. On Election Day, I stay home. I firmly believe that if you vote, you have no right to complain. Now, some people like to twist that around. They say, 'If you don't vote, you have no right to complain,' but where's the logic in that? If you vote, and you elect dishonest, incompetent politicians, and they get into office and screw everything up, you are responsible for what they have done. You voted them in. You caused the problem. You have no right to complain. I, on the other hand, who did not vote -- who did not even leave the house on Election Day -- am in no way responsible for that these politicians have done and have every right to complain about the mess that you created."


The country was bought and sold long ago. Popular vote means dick unless you're electing a carpool driver. Even then it's tricky.

Have fun on election day, I might just save some gas.

-HECK!


NIcely put.

Not to mention the fact the the President isn't even elected by popular vote. When it comes down to it, on election day, you vote means dick.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

avatar

Number of posts : 6497
Age : 40
Where I am : Off the deep end
Reputation : 10
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Obama-Biden ticket ready to debut   Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:28 pm

Yup. Why? Because the power of the White House is too great for the average citizen to bestow. The upper 1% dictacte, the rest of us just bitch about it.

-HECK!

_________________
"Just because the monkey is off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fuscia

avatar

Number of posts : 2304
Age : 50
Where I am : INSane Diego
Reputation : 95
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Obama-Biden ticket ready to debut   Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:09 pm

Joe Biden stands for a stronger America. He understands what it is to struggle to pay your bills, he understands world politics and world history. Joe Biden will stand up for us working class people who struggle to meet out bills every month.

Only a cynic would not vote. The popular vote tells the politicians what the will of the people is. It is a total cop out not to vote. I hate people who refuse to vote, but are the first to bitch about how things are in this country. Your vote is your chance to make your voice heard and iif you don't vote is an insult to those that died fighting to establish our country to give us the freedom to choose our leaders.

And yes Grant, I am going to vote. I'll cast my ballot for Obama.

_________________
oh yeah? well my husband honks at the deaf.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.sherryzod.etsy.com
Nymphadora

avatar

Number of posts : 4023
Age : 35
Where I am : North Carolina
Reputation : 6
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Obama-Biden ticket ready to debut   Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:44 pm

I don't refuse to vote. I just hate to have to choose between two choices that I don't like. Espically when when it actually comes down to it the people don't actually decide.

It's like if you go to a resturant and all they have is chicken and fish. You don't want either, you want steak. They don't have steak, you have to choose chicken or fish. Now which one is more effictive in my voicing my distaste for the fish and chicken and my desire for steak?
A) suck it up and by the fish and chicken, you would want them to die in vian now would you?
B) Bitch that I want STEAK. The chicken sucks the fish is terrible, WE NEED STEAK!
If I get the fish or chicken, that sends the message that I'm okay with it and there is no need for steak. So the owners go about there regular business trying to shove a bunch of shit down your throat because your content to choose between the two and they run shit so they don't care, your still buying their product. NOw if everyone who was unhappy with the choices demanded the steak and refused to buy the chicken or fish, then their voice would be heard and a change would be in oder because the resutrant would go bankrupt from the lose of business.

I may be wrong but that shit make sense to me.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

avatar

Number of posts : 4788
Age : 47
Where I am : SUN Diego
Reputation : 10
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Obama-Biden ticket ready to debut   Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:04 am

I know that our vote doesn't really mean a hill of beans. I've always said that. But, I still think that if you don't bother to vote, that you need to not complain. It's my opinion.... whether it's right or wrong... it's mine.

_________________
~If you want do anything worthwhile today, 'do it' with a woman.~
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lawlessone23.livejournal.com/
Lawless

avatar

Number of posts : 4788
Age : 47
Where I am : SUN Diego
Reputation : 10
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Obama-Biden ticket ready to debut   Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:08 am

And I do see your point, Buffy. Totally understandable.



The way I view the voting though is that, I might not really want to vote for the Dem that is running... but, to NOT cast a vote, then it's one less number cast for the Dems, and that gives to the Republicans. I dont want another 4 years of Republican BS. So, I will vote.

Sure, I'd rather have lobster over a steak or chicken. But, it's not on the menu. So, I have to choose, or I don't eat, and be hungry.

_________________
~If you want do anything worthwhile today, 'do it' with a woman.~
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lawlessone23.livejournal.com/
Nymphadora

avatar

Number of posts : 4023
Age : 35
Where I am : North Carolina
Reputation : 6
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Obama-Biden ticket ready to debut   Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:19 am

OR you could always go to a different resturant. Man, all this food talk is making me hungry.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

avatar

Number of posts : 9729
Age : 37
Where I am : 台北市
Reputation : 13
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Obama-Biden ticket ready to debut   Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:14 am

I love how Buffy's gone on this big old rant on steak and fish, and Kris is like "oh totally, I get what you mean", while I'm sitting here all crosseyed wondering if this restaurant had any chicken dishes.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nymphadora

avatar

Number of posts : 4023
Age : 35
Where I am : North Carolina
Reputation : 6
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Obama-Biden ticket ready to debut   Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:29 am

Suspect What's that supposed to mean? I think that's one of my finner analogies.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

avatar

Number of posts : 6497
Age : 40
Where I am : Off the deep end
Reputation : 10
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Obama-Biden ticket ready to debut   Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:36 am

Joe Biden is a career politician and his only struggle is whether he's voting within party lines or not. While he has been apart of important legislation, both foreign and domestic, let's be real- Biden hasn't seen an electriciy bill since 1973. He's a talking suit that has a severe lack of original thought.

I think everyone should vote, if they want to. I still vote on occasion. I am a realist, however, and therefore I am also jaded. I have a grasp on the system and it is a sad state of affairs. I want to 'believe' but it's difficult to get all misty about our political system. Now, I wouldn't trade it for any other system in the world, but that doesn't mean it's perfect. I won't sit down and shut up for 'good enough.'

I'll gladly skip Election Day and be the first to bitch, from the rooftops if need be. It's our duty to challenege the system.

No need to bring up tales of fallen soldiers. I know history. And politicians or anyone else that envokes their memory to inspire a patriotic notion for a system that fucks you over on a daily basis is borderline criminal.

Popular vote means two things: jack and shit. Ask Al Gore. Anyone who tells you different is trying to sell something.

Voting for the lesser of two evils is not a vote. It's settling. Most politicians are pandering to special interest groups, lobbyists, and the will of the not the people, but the almighty dollar. Believe in that.

-HECK!

_________________
"Just because the monkey is off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

avatar

Number of posts : 6497
Age : 40
Where I am : Off the deep end
Reputation : 10
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Obama-Biden ticket ready to debut   Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:38 am

The American public doesn't elect the President of the United States. I love you

Now, gay marriage and immigration bills, you can vote on those. Until they're overturned by special interest groups in the courts.

-HECK!

_________________
"Just because the monkey is off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nymphadora

avatar

Number of posts : 4023
Age : 35
Where I am : North Carolina
Reputation : 6
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Obama-Biden ticket ready to debut   Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:51 am

HECK! wrote:
I think everyone should vote, if they want to. I still vote on occasion. I am a realist, however, and therefore I am also jaded. I have a grasp on the system and it is a sad state of affairs. I want to 'believe' but it's difficult to get all misty about our political system. Now, I wouldn't trade it for any other system in the world, but that doesn't mean it's perfect. I won't sit down and shut up for 'good enough.'

I'll gladly skip Election Day and be the first to bitch, from the rooftops if need be. It's our duty to challenege the system.

No need to bring up tales of fallen soldiers. I know history. And politicians or anyone else that envokes their memory to inspire a patriotic notion for a system that fucks you over on a daily basis is borderline criminal.

Popular vote means two things: jack and shit. Ask Al Gore. Anyone who tells you different is trying to sell something.

Voting for the lesser of two evils is not a vote. It's settling. Most politicians are pandering to special interest groups, lobbyists, and the will of the not the people, but the almighty dollar. Believe in that.

-HECK!

Is that not what I said only slightly less eloquently haha?

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

avatar

Number of posts : 9729
Age : 37
Where I am : 台北市
Reputation : 13
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Obama-Biden ticket ready to debut   Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:04 am

Plus there's no steak involved. That's a sucky explanation HECK!

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

avatar

Number of posts : 4788
Age : 47
Where I am : SUN Diego
Reputation : 10
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Obama-Biden ticket ready to debut   Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:40 am

Grant... that's because you boys think with things lower than your heart. While women think with the hearts and minds!!! Wink

_________________
~If you want do anything worthwhile today, 'do it' with a woman.~
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lawlessone23.livejournal.com/
Lawless

avatar

Number of posts : 4788
Age : 47
Where I am : SUN Diego
Reputation : 10
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Obama-Biden ticket ready to debut   Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:41 am

gaboman wrote:
Plus there's no steak involved. That's a sucky explanation HECK!




See!!! Told ya!

_________________
~If you want do anything worthwhile today, 'do it' with a woman.~
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lawlessone23.livejournal.com/
Dekka00

avatar

Number of posts : 1251
Age : 34
Where I am : Commonwealth of Virginia
Reputation : 3
Registration date : 2007-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Obama-Biden ticket ready to debut   Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:04 am

see you should do what I do, and just vote for a third party

then you can bitch with righteous indignation, puff your chest out with pride and say "I voted for ______"





and people will say... "Who?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

avatar

Number of posts : 6497
Age : 40
Where I am : Off the deep end
Reputation : 10
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Obama-Biden ticket ready to debut   Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:02 pm

Dekka00 wrote:
see you should do what I do, and just vote for a third party

then you can bitch with righteous indignation, puff your chest out with pride and say "I voted for ______"





and people will say... "Who?"


Comedy.

-HECK!

_________________
"Just because the monkey is off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

avatar

Number of posts : 6497
Age : 40
Where I am : Off the deep end
Reputation : 10
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Obama-Biden ticket ready to debut   Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:06 pm

Nymphadora wrote:
HECK! wrote:
I think everyone should vote, if they want to. I still vote on occasion. I am a realist, however, and therefore I am also jaded. I have a grasp on the system and it is a sad state of affairs. I want to 'believe' but it's difficult to get all misty about our political system. Now, I wouldn't trade it for any other system in the world, but that doesn't mean it's perfect. I won't sit down and shut up for 'good enough.'

I'll gladly skip Election Day and be the first to bitch, from the rooftops if need be. It's our duty to challenege the system.

No need to bring up tales of fallen soldiers. I know history. And politicians or anyone else that envokes their memory to inspire a patriotic notion for a system that fucks you over on a daily basis is borderline criminal.

Popular vote means two things: jack and shit. Ask Al Gore. Anyone who tells you different is trying to sell something.

Voting for the lesser of two evils is not a vote. It's settling. Most politicians are pandering to special interest groups, lobbyists, and the will of the not the people, but the almighty dollar. Believe in that.

-HECK!

Is that not what I said only slightly less eloquently haha?


Pretty much. Now I want to go to The Sizzler.

-HECK!

_________________
"Just because the monkey is off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Obama-Biden ticket ready to debut   

Back to top Go down
 
Obama-Biden ticket ready to debut
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Some Theatre Ticket Website's list of Top 10 Phantom Actors.
» QUESTIONS I WOULD ASK PRES. OBAMA AT THE DEBATE
» Oven Ready Meal
» Obama Approves !
» Getting Ready for the National Exhibition

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Inrejects :: News and Hot Topics :: Breaking News :: Archive: 2008 Presidential Elections-
Jump to: