HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
HECK!

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.   Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:50 am

DENVER - John McCain tapped little-known Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to be his vice presidential running mate on Friday in a startling selection on the eve of the Republican National Convention.

In an announcement, the campaign said that Palin, who has been governor less than two years, "has the record of reform and bipartisanship that others can only speak of."

"Her experience in shaking up the status quo is exactly what is needed in Washington today," the campaign said. can National Convention.

Two senior campaign officials had disclosed McCain's decision a few hours before the Republican presidential nominee-to-be and his newly-minted running mate appeared at a rally in swing-state Ohio.

Palin, like McCain, is a conservative with a maverick streak who has shown a willingness to clash with others in her own party. A self-styled hockey mom and political reformer, she has been governor of her state less than two years.

Palin's selection shocked numerous Republican officials.

At 44, Palin is a generation younger that Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware, who is Barack Obama's running mate on the Democratic ticket.
She is three years Obama's junior, as well and McCain has made much in recent weeks of Obama's relative lack of experience in foreign policy and defense matters.

In making his pick, McCain passed over several more prominent prospects who had figured in speculation for months Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and former Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge among them.

Palin flew overnight to an airport in Ohio near Dayton, and even as she awaited her formal introduction, some aides said they had believed she was at home in Alaska.

She is a former mayor of Wasilla who became governor of her state in December, 2006 after ousting a governor of her own party in a primary and then dispatching a former governor in the general election.

More recently, she has come under the scrutiny of an investigation by the Republican-controlled legislature into the possibility that she ordered the dismissal of Alaska's public safety commissioner because he would not fire her former brother-in-law as a state trooper.

The timing of McCain's selection appeared designed to limit any political gain Obama yields from his own convention, which ended Thursday night with his nominating acceptance speech before an estimated 84,000 in Invesco Field in Colorado.

Public opinion polls show a close race between Obama and McCain, and with scarcely two months remaining until the election, neither contender can allow the other to jump out to a big post-convention lead.

McCain has had months to consider his choice, and has made it clear to reporters that one of his overriding goals was to avoid a situation like the one in 1988, when Dan Quayle was thrown into a national campaign with little preparation.

Palin has a long history of run-ins with the Alaska GOP hierarchy, giving her genuine maverick status and reformer credentials that could complement McCain's image.

Two years ago, she ousted the state's Republican incumbent governor, Frank Murkowski in the primary, despite having little money and little establishment backing.

She has also distanced herself from two senior Republican office-holders, sen. Ted Stevens and Rep. Don young. Both men are under federal corruption investigations.

She had earned stripes and enmity after Murkowski made her head of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission. From that post, she exposed ethical violations by the state GOP chairman, also a fellow commissioner.

She and her husband Todd Palin, have five children. The latest, a baby, was born with Down syndrome.
----

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.   Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:50 am

Hehehehe, who?

McCain just elected Obama president of the United States.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dekka00

Number of posts : 1251
Where I am : Commonwealth of Virginia
Registration date : 2007-01-27

PostSubject: Re: McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.   Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:15 pm

I don't know man, people may vote for him just to have a woman VP.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.   Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:22 pm

If McCain is just trying to sway Hillary votes, he has made a crucial mistake.

What McCain has done is effectively torpedo his one great argument against Obama- lack of experience. Now he has a two year governer from Alaska.

You cannot have Sarah Palin a seat away from the presidency. It's not a gender issue.

At least with Biden you have decades of real experience on Capital Hill.

With Palin you have an unknown moose hunter from Alaska. Thanks, but no thanks.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

Number of posts : 7157
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER

PostSubject: Re: McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.   Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:04 pm

I just saw her on the T.V. and she aint exactly HOTT, but she has it goin on.

I think she is kind of pretty. I can't help but vote for pretty.

Hillary didn't have no pretty going on, this chick has some going on. I'm basing my vote on looks dammit.

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.   Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:05 pm

This might help the base, cause repubs are sick of being told they are an old white guy party and they won't vote for chicks or blacks, so I bet a lot of repubs will step up to the plate, just to show they want to vote for a chick.

Yep.

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.   Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:09 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbSlc4XGGnk

Like I said, she aint HOTT, but compared to Hillary, she is pretty awesome.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.   Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:54 pm

I am calling Palin 'Mooseburger' from now on.

Anyway, Mooseburger looks better than Hillary, but what are we really saying here?

This pick is a disaster. McCain is old and has health issues. Do we really want the esteemed governor of Alaska, a title she's had for under two years, as Vice President? Not to mention, back in '02 she was the mayor of a town with 6,000+ people.

Worst case scenario, could you really see Mooseburger in a showdown with Putin?

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.   Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:36 pm

(insert PMS joke here)

I don't know. People always gripe about the establishment, they want change, they want someone new, but when someone new shows up, they bitch they have no experience.

It's a gamble fer sure.

I still aint voting this year though.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dekka00

PostSubject: Re: McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.   Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:39 pm

HECK! wrote:
If McCain is just trying to sway Hillary votes, he has made a crucial mistake.

What McCain has done is effectively torpedo his one great argument against Obama- lack of experience. Now he has a two year governer from Alaska.

You cannot have Sarah Palin a seat away from the presidency. It's not a gender issue.

At least with Biden you have decades of real experience on Capital Hill.

With Palin you have an unknown moose hunter from Alaska. Thanks, but no thanks.

-HECK!

I agree with you, but remember, this is the mass public, the unwashed p'roles, the same dumb-asses that voted Bush in for a second term.

If I were a betting man (which I sometimes am) I'd say McCain just won himself the '08 election.

Considering people voted for Good Ol' Dubya for a second term, I'd even go so far as to say he'll probably win the 2012 election too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dekka00

PostSubject: Re: McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.   Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:51 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fuscia

Number of posts : 2304
Where I am : INSane Diego
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.   Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:04 am

I think it comes down to who the the conservatives are going to go with? Will it be Obama and his catholic V.P. or old McCain and his young woman? I feel they will go with the lesser of two evils, and I'm not sure who they consider that to be. Remember that many Christians believe that men should be the head of the house, the head of state ect. So putting a woman on the ticket may not sit well with some of them.

gaboman

Number of posts : 9729
Where I am : 台北市

PostSubject: Re: McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.   Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:10 am

This wasn't the smart pick whatsoever. I mean, going with the woman was a brilliant plot (obvious, but brilliant), however if that was the best woman the Republican party could pull out of their ass, I don't like their chances.

Overall, I think Democrats have the strongest combo. That being said, there are a lot of factors that could affect the election results and I'm not necessarily sure the democrats have proven their worth to everybody yet. I mean, they won me over with a Stevie Wonder performance, but not everybody's as easy as me.

Number of posts : 4023
Where I am : North Carolina

PostSubject: Re: McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.   Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:17 pm

fuscia wrote:
Remember that many Christians believe that men should be the head of the house, the head of state ect. So putting a woman on the ticket may not sit well with some of them.

That is so true. I've heard a couple of people say already that they won't vote for Mccain now. Even other women. They just don't believe that women should do certain things and this happens to be one of them. Plus I come from the south. You know what that means, Southern Baptists, and they , for the most part, are hard core about some stuff. I'm not saying all chruches, but the primative ones, definately.

Number of posts : 2304
Where I am : INSane Diego

PostSubject: Re: McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.   Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:07 pm

My family are non-denom Christians, but in our family, that means un-official Southern Baptists. They do believe that women should not be preachers, head of the house, or hold high offices. Me, I'm not into women preachers, but as for holding high office, it depends on the person.l

I find it disturbing that there are women out there that will vote for the McCain ticket simply because they want to see a woman VP. To me, that is settling, and for something as important as the next person in line to be president, you should not settle. It should be about who is the best person/ticket for the job, and not just wanting a woman in the job.

gaboman

PostSubject: Re: McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.   Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:14 pm

I think people also need to keep in mind that McCain is old. So if he croaks, she's going to take over. Would that really be in anyone's best interest?

PostSubject: Re: McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.   Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:11 pm

A lot of news lately on this Palin chick. My two cents is she looks like a bit like a dominatrix.

But, uh, anyways, they're saying her 17 year old daughter is 5 months pregnant, and some shit about her sister's divorce... but all in all, that stuff could work in her favor. I mean, I doubt Conservatives are going to not vote republican just because of that, and she could help bring a lot of single mother voters over to the republican side... possibly...

To me it just shouts 'hypocrite!'

Number of posts : 4788
Where I am : SUN Diego

PostSubject: Re: McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.   Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:28 pm

Ha ha ha... I just watched that youtube clip from Dekka. Craig Ferguson was all talking about Palin looking like a naughty librarian. I don't know... I can totally see what he's talking about. I might have to switch parties and vote for the Rep's just because of her hottness factor.

Ok... so, I'm totally joking about switching my vote. But, she is HOT!!! I'd tap dat ass.

gaboman

PostSubject: Re: McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.   Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:29 pm

I don't see it personally. I probably would have dug her a few years ago, but she kind of gives me the willies now.

PostSubject: Re: McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.   Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:30 pm

Well, in her little video to Craig, she looked hot. Smile

Lawless

PostSubject: Re: McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.   Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:31 pm

But you know... I have a thing for older women.

Still, she doesn't have the experience needed. THAT scares me. Because if something were to happen to McCain, we would have someone that doesn't know what in the hell she's doing, running our Country. Doesn't that scare any of the Republican's out there?

gaboman

PostSubject: Re: McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.   Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:39 pm

I saw a good chunk of the Republican national convention this morning. A few things struck me.

First off, these folks are fucking PALE. I mean they're white as ghosts. A lot of blondes there too. There also seemed to be this kind of glazed over look in their eyes, similar to that you see in mormons who are riding around on their bicycles.

Also, a definite and obvious majority were male. There were plenty of women there, but they were very few and far between.

There weren't too many black people there (actually, I didn't see one), despite them using Dr. Martin Luther King Jnr in no less than 2 videos in a 10 minute span. They didn't refer to him as doctor, though, it was just Martin Luther King Jnr.

Their videos were on loving the country, which is very well and good, but it pushed the point home so hard I feel there's a little brain washing at play. I'm sorry, but even in either of the two countries I call home I wouldn't bother watching such tripe.

PostSubject: Re: McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.   Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:44 pm

I didn't watch it... absolutely no interest to listen to the Repub's spew.

gaboman

PostSubject: Re: McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.   Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:10 pm

I kind of like it. Seeing how the other half lives and all that.

PostSubject: Re: McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.   Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:24 pm

What cracks me up is the McCain clan is trying to say Mooseburger has more experience than Obama.

What?

Republicans are losing their minds. How they can actually justify this choice is nuts.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.   

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next