HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Libya - Lockerbie famlies greedy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lodgebo

Number of posts : 524
Where I am : Edinburgh where drink is cheap and women are cheaper
Registration date : 2007-11-20

PostSubject: Libya - Lockerbie famlies greedy   Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:09 pm

LONDON (Reuters) - A prominent son of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi has accused the families of victims of the 1988 Lockerbie airliner bombing of being "very greedy" in negotiations to wrest compensation from Libya for the attacks.
The Pan Am jumbo jet exploded en route from London to New York over the southern Scottish town of Lockerbie on December 18, 1988, killing 270 people including 189 U.S. citizens.
Libya formally admitted responsibility in 2003 and agreed to pay $2.7 billion (1.5 billion pounds) in compensation to families of the victims, a major step towards ending years of sanctions against the north African country.
But Gaddafi's son Saif al-Islam has said he expects Libya will one day be cleared of any link to the bombing.
In extracts from a BBC interview in a documentary to be broadcast on Sunday, Saif accused the Lockerbie victims' families of "trading with the blood of their sons and daughters".
"I think they were very greedy," he said. "The negotiation with them, it was very terrible and very materialistic and was very greedy. They were asking for money and more money and more money and more money."
U.S. and Libyan officials signed a deal this month to settle remaining compensation claims linked to Lockerbie and other bombings and pave the way for normal relations.
The deal has drawn criticism from relatives of the Lockerbie victims, who accuse the United States and its allies of selling out to Libya in the chase for lucrative contracts to exploit its oil wealth.
Saif, who took a central role in the talks to end Libya's isolation, said a letter from Libya's government to the United Nations admitting formal responsibility for Lockerbie had been necessary to normalise ties with the West.
But he repeated that his country was not guilty.
"Without that letter we would not be able to get rid of the sanctions at all ... I admit that we played with words," he said in the interview shown on the BBC's Web site.
Abdel Basset al-Megrahi, a Libyan intelligence agent, was convicted in 2001 of the Lockerbie bombing after standing trial in the Netherlands under Scottish law.
He won the right last year to launch an appeal which he said would prove his innocence.

Last edited by lodgebo on Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

Number of posts : 9666
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Libya - Lockerbie famlies greedy   Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:19 pm

How can they be cleared of something they admitted to doing?? WEEIIRRDD

Libya - Lockerbie famlies greedy
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1