HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Scores killed in Mumbai rampage

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gaboman

Number of posts : 9666
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Scores killed in Mumbai rampage   Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:34 pm

(CNN) -- In a brazen series of coordinated attacks, gunmen struck 10 sites Wednesday night across India's financial hub, killing scores of people and taking hostages in two luxury hotels frequented by Westerners, officials said.

Mumbai police spokesman Satish Katsa put the death toll at 87 and another 185 wounded, with nine of the attackers killed.

More than six hours after the attacks, fighting was still reported in the Taj Mahal Hotel, the Hotel Oberoi and Colaba Market, site of a number of restaurants, he said.

Vilasrao Deshmukh, chief minister of Maharashtra state, where Mumbai is located, told reporters that a total of 10 locations were attacked, including a railroad station.

A Mumbai police spokesman, Satish Katsa, said gunmen took over the Taj Mahal Hotel and Hotel Oberoi, and were holding guests hostage on multiple floors.

After the attacks, about 100 members of the Rapid Action Force entered the Oberoi. Shortly thereafter, the sound of gunshots came from inside the building.

British businessman Alan Jones told CNN.com how he was about to get out of an elevator in the Oberoi when another guest was shot.

"A bullet hit one of the Japanese men in the back of the leg. Flesh and blood splattered everywhere."

Another hostage situation was occurring at Cama Hospital for women and children, CNN sister station CNN-IBN reported.

Bhushan Gagrani, a spokesman for Maharashtra, said no one had claimed responsibility for the attacks.

But several Indian news outlets reported receiving e-mails from a group calling itself the Deccan Mujahedeen that took responsibility for the attacks. CNN was not able to verify the reports.

Gagrani said nine suspects were arrested and three people were detained for questioning.

CNN-IBN reported that Hemant Karkare, chief of Mumbai police's anti-terrorism squad, was among the fatalities at the Hotel Oberoi.

In addition, 11 other police were killed, Deshmukh said. He said the number of attackers was not known.

About five hours after the attack, smoke began billowing from the roof of the Taj Mahal and flames quickly spread through the top floors of the 105-year-old building, though firefighters said they expected to be able to douse the blaze. Guests -- many of them foreign nationals -- emerged from the hotel.

The landmark hotel advertises 565 rooms, including 46 suites. Gunfire could be heard coming from inside the building and at least 50 guests were rescued from the hotel.

Andrew Stevens, a CNN anchor who was staying at the Taj Mahal with a CNN crew, estimated that about half the hotel's guests were Westerners.

He said that at shortly after 10 p.m. (4:30 p.m. GMT) he was outside the Oberoi, about five minutes away from the Taj, when he saw guests streaming from the lobby into the street in apparent panic.

A witness told local television that he was in the Oberoi around 10 p.m. when gunmen entered the lobby and began rounding up guests, asking for anyone with a U.S. or British passport and taking hostage about 15 of them.

Earlier, A.N. Roy, the police chief of Maharashtra state, said his force was involved with suspected militants at the two hotels.

The Cafe Leopold, another popular hangout for Western tourists, was also targeted, and one police official said an attack occurred at the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus railway station.

The attacks included five shootouts and two grenade attacks, said another police spokesman, who answered Mumbai's police control room line.

CNN-IBN reported the attacks began about 10 p.m. Wednesday and witnesses were reporting new explosions and gunfire into early Thursday morning.

Roy said the gunmen used grenades and automatic weapons. He could not provide casualty numbers.

India has suffered a number of attacks in recent years, including a string of bombs that ripped through packed Mumbai commuter trains and platforms during rush hour in July 2006. About 209 people were killed in that attack.

Last July, a series of synchronized bomb blasts in the western Indian city of Ahmedabad left 49 dead and more than 100 wounded, police said.

But Paresh Parihar, a businessman in Mumbai, described Wednesday's attacks as unlike anything he had seen.

"They really don't fear for their lives or any other activity that could put them in danger," he told CNN. "This is really a very unusual situation."

Mumbai ordered schools to be closed Thursday.

PostSubject: Re: Scores killed in Mumbai rampage   Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:35 pm

This story is just out of this world... unbelievable that such a thing could occur.

Number of posts : 4788
Where I am : SUN Diego
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Scores killed in Mumbai rampage   Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:49 pm

I will never understand WHY this stuff happens! What causes such hatred!

gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Scores killed in Mumbai rampage   Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:58 pm

Sounds like the folks who did this are organized and have an agenda against the US and UK. So we'll see how it plays out.

Prince's ex-wife ran from the attackers, as did a CNN reporter.

Number of posts : 524
Where I am : Edinburgh where drink is cheap and women are cheaper
Registration date : 2007-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Scores killed in Mumbai rampage   Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:51 am

Well apparently in the restaurant they attacked they went after only those who were American or British apparently they claimed they were security forces and asked all those with a UK or US passport to step forward.

India is blaming an outside terror group that has been allowed to grow in another country, no prizes foir guessing the country. I actually think they are right and I wouldnt be surprised if the masterminds of this terror attack are whopping up the carnage back home in Pakistan after all Pakistan is soft on terror India is tough and has security services that are equal to the US and UK.

Anyway it's a sad stae of affairs but as India geras up to become the world 2nd superpower behind China it has to accept that it's pro western stance will mean it has to deal with terrorism.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Scores killed in Mumbai rampage   Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:25 pm

This was a pretty intense one. I can't imagine why the police couldn't get to either location in a more timely manner and contain the attackers. Although that could mean the lives of hostages are at risk, that's the kind of thing they should be ready for.

PostSubject: Re: Scores killed in Mumbai rampage   Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:17 pm

Death toll is about 101.

PostSubject: Re: Scores killed in Mumbai rampage   Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:07 pm

I keep hearing different numbers. No matter what the total of deaths turns out to be, it's way too much. Even one life is a waste. WHY do people need to resort to such henious things in life to make a statement?

gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Scores killed in Mumbai rampage   Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:15 pm

It's all they know how to do. Dumbasses have probably been brainwashed since birth. I have no doubt that Pakistan was the breeding ground for this group, as lodgebo (and the Indian government) suggests.

PostSubject: Re: Scores killed in Mumbai rampage   Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:20 pm

How the F did they get into the country? ARGH... it just makes me so mad. People die for no f'n reason, other than someones bred hatred.

lodgebo

PostSubject: Re: Scores killed in Mumbai rampage   Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:04 am

I would put money on it that they probably got into the country by boat it would the easiest most efefctive way of getting not just into India but to Mumbai as well.

Indian ministry has the death toll at 119 with 288 injured of course that figure will go up as peopel succumb to thier injuries and when we find out what has happend to the hostages in the Jewish centre as well.

There have been mixed reports that one gunman has been captured alive by the police so that might give an insight into just who these people are. My guess is that this group has former Al Quieda mebers or people familiar with Al Quieda tactics becuse the whole things has all the hallmarks of an Al Quieda attack
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Scores killed in Mumbai rampage   Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:16 am

Yes, it does seem to be Al Quieda (or a faction of it). Esp since they targeted US and British citizens.

lodgebo

PostSubject: Re: Scores killed in Mumbai rampage   Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:29 pm

6 people died in the Jewish centre a new york based Rabbi and his wife and 4 Israelli nationals. the Rabbi leaves behind a son who will be 2 on Saturday.

There are still explosions and fighting going on in various parts of Mumbai. The FBI will send a team out to India this weekend, MI6 will be offering some kind of support probably intel and no doubt Mossad will be wanting some involvement I know Israel doesnt take to kindly to those who kill Israelis at home or abroad, intrestingly Pakistan has vowed to assist in any way possible I think they know something we don't.

One thing that has caught my attention is how well trained and armed these terrorists are, for nearly 3 days they have held ther own in gunfights across a big city and it's not like they are fighting rookie cops these are army commandos and crack anti terror cops admittdly they have hostages and have the advantage of being locked in big buildings but still.
It will be interesting to see what is uncoverd in the next few days about this group
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr. F

Number of posts : 1216
Where I am : san diego
Registration date : 2007-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Scores killed in Mumbai rampage   Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:36 pm

Lawless wrote:
How the F did they get into the country? .

Hey! I didnt do it!

I heard reports that one of the dead terrorists was a British born Pakistani, making an Indian visa fairly simple. His cell phone was reported to have had numerous calls to Pakistan. Hmmmmmmmmm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Scores killed in Mumbai rampage   Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:14 am

That's not what I heard... it was you, Ron!! Admit it...

Mr. F

Number of posts : 1216
Where I am : san diego
Registration date : 2007-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Scores killed in Mumbai rampage   Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:01 pm

It could have been a plot to eliminate all the telemarketers / outsourced helpline personel that I can never understand. But it wasnt me. I have witnesses that will attest to my doing not much of anything lately officer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fuscia

Number of posts : 2298
Where I am : INSane Diego

PostSubject: Re: Scores killed in Mumbai rampage   Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:18 am

They say that Obama and the leader of Pakistan had an agreement to go after the Taliban in Waziristan (the lawless border region). If the terrorists were able to cause a rift between India and Pakistan, then the Pakistani military will not go after them, and they will shift to the border with India. This seems like the likely cause to me. If the U.S. and Pakistan go after the terrorists, then Mullah Omar and Bin Laden's days are numbered.

Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Scores killed in Mumbai rampage   Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:35 am

fuscia wrote:
(the lawless border region).

Sad I'm a border region?

lodgebo

PostSubject: Re: Scores killed in Mumbai rampage   Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:47 am

I nwas watching an interview this morniong with an Israelli govt offcial and was surprised by his reaction to what has happend in Mumbai. He was very critical of the operation the Indian army and police for the way they handled the siege at the Jewish centre. The thing is India was dealing with an incident that even a country like Israel has not had to deal with, yes both countries have seen awful terror attacks but this was an attack at 7 different locations that came out of the blue carriued out by what appears to be a well tarined unit. Maybe Israle should look at the facts an use thier intelligence to catch all those involved as opposed to pointing figures and blaming India for not doing enough after all you dont see the UK and US blaming India for thier citizens murders.

http://www.rediff.com/news/2008/nov/28mumterror-rescue-efforts-badly-planned-says-israel.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Scores killed in Mumbai rampage   Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:57 pm

I'm with you, Lodgebo. They need to NOT be finger pointing, and concentrate on finding out WHO is responsible and work on training (for the future) should this ever happen, again. Let's pray that it doesn't... anywhere.

Whidden

Number of posts : 7042
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER

PostSubject: Re: Scores killed in Mumbai rampage   Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:33 pm

First thing I thought of was Mahesh and if he had family there. But I doubt it. India is a big country.

Second thing was pity for the poor Indians.

Third thing was I was hoping that whoever has the nuke codes in India had a level head.

4th thing I thought was the Democrats have been complaining about Pakistan for years, that we should have taken care of them instead of Iraq. I wonder what they will do , if anything, now that they have the power.

Mostly though, I felt pity for the Indians.

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lodgebo

PostSubject: Re: Scores killed in Mumbai rampage   Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:01 pm

I think Pakistan is under immense pressure now it's going to have India, US, UK, Afganistan and even Israel pressuring it to stamp down on the terrorists. the fact is that the new pakistan govt is soft on terror say waht you want about Musgareff but he was tougher on terroists than most of Pakistans leaders
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Scores killed in Mumbai rampage   Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:09 pm

The Pakistan Prime Minister was on Larry King talking about his country not being responsible and that if India produces iron clad proof of Pakistan nationals being involved then he will act... funny enough, he still seems in complete denial about it. Even though it seems obvious they arrived by boat from Pakistan.

PostSubject: Re: Scores killed in Mumbai rampage   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1