HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Swine Flu

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Schmiggens

Number of posts : 1397
Where I am : 'Straylia
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Swine Flu   Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:55 am

So aparently its a "pandemic" already according to the news reports.
Don't you have to have an outbreak and then an epidemic before something is considered a pandemic? We've just jumped straight into a pandemic, seemingly overnight, is the media just scare-mongering?

Only 150 people have died with a possible link to swine flu, and the only 20 scientifically confirmed deaths are in Mexico.

Several people have "flu-like symptoms" in other countries but so far no deaths in other countries and only 85 confirmed cases worldwide and this is only confimed as having this type of flu (Influenza A) which could be any number of strains of Influenza A, not just "swine flu".

All the people with these flu-like symptoms are travellers, I don't know about the rest of the world, but everytime I go on a plane, I come home with flu-like symptoms.

I don't know, is it an over reaction at this stage? Are they being too cautious? Should I start wearing a surgical mask if I go on the train? Is the media over-stating the danger? What are you guys hearing on the news in your countries?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

Number of posts : 9666
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu   Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:57 am

I'm sure it's passed the epidemic stage already, man. I have two collegues currently in Mexico and they are scared shitless.

I'm sure plenty of people who think they have this simply have the flu though. But I wish I was a school kid in mexico right now. How many months off school? That'd be sweet!

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu   Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:03 am

Cian was in Mexico during that last week of March when the outbreak started. He's fine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu   Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:19 am

I'd be more worried about the nasty food and dirty water in Mexico.

It's getting headlines but no one is freaking out here as far as I know. Word is: don't go to Mexico. Heh, no problem there.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu   Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:27 am

I can just imagine how petrified border control is of immigrants at this point... I'm sure they're lined up along the border just waiting to take out one of the infected trying to cross over.

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu   Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:30 am

As if it wasn't tight already. Give some of these guys an itchier trigger finger and it's not going to end well for some people trying to cross the border.

I think the boarder patrol will keep it under control though. Mexico needs to get their shit together, fix this.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
lodgebo

Number of posts : 524
Where I am : Edinburgh where drink is cheap and women are cheaper
Registration date : 2007-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu   Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:39 am

The chief medical officer was on TV this morning and he said that a Pandemic is when you have a diesease that passes from person to person on an international scale so things like TB and AIDs are still today classified as pandemics.

I know the Foreign office has advised that all non essential trips to Mexico are to avoided and all Brits in Mexico are being brought back ASAP.

Don't think anyone is freaking out over here mainly because we have been prepareing for a flu pandemic for the last decade even though we all thought that Pandemic would have been the H5N1 strain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu   Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:01 am

Heard today my two collegues in Mexico are sick. Chances are they'll either be denied entry to the plane (possible, right?) or they'll be quaranteened in Taipei when they return.

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu   Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:49 am

I know a toddler died in Texas from swine flu today and Spain has reported the first person to person transmission of the virus outside of Mexico, there are more cases of the virus in the UK as well.

WHO have said they are on the brink of declaring this a level 5 Pandemic whioch is bad when you consider there are only 6 levels anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu   Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:59 pm

What would level 6 be? Watch out, the end of the world is coming?

But I mean... I gather not everybody's going to get it. I never really get the flu as it is, so I'd hope that I'd be kind of safe...

Then again, I'm hoping my collegues are better by the time they get back to work... I'll lock them up myself if I have to.

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu   Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:31 am

Cian woke up feeling a bit flu-ey this morning, went to the doctors and got a check up just to be safe, it's not swine flu, he's just being a whinger! lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lodgebo

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu   Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:33 am

That sounds like man flu the worst type of flu you can get
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dekka00

Number of posts : 1251
Where I am : Commonwealth of Virginia
Registration date : 2007-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu   Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:54 pm

I'm not terribly worried about this, seeing as I'm invincible and all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Schmiggens MKII

Number of posts : 438
Where I am : @ Work
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu   Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:27 pm

So NOW it's officially a Pandemic:

Quote :
With 27,000 cases, swine flu is officially a pandemic

World Health Organisation raises alert status to highest level as infection spreads

The World Health Organisation yesterday declared a global flu pandemic the first in more than 40 years as swine flu spread to 74 countries causing more than 27,000 confirmed cases and 141 deaths.

After intense discussions between WHO officials and the health ministries of the worst-affected countries, the organisation decided to raise its pandemic alert status from phase five to phase six the highest level which confirmed that a pandemic is under way.

The decision was taken after evidence emerged that the virus belonging to the H1N1 influenza A family was spreading freely as community-wide infections in several countries within at least two WHO regions of the world.

In addition to spreading widely in Mexico and North America, the virus has also spread extensively in Spain and Britain, as well as Chile and Australia, which saw a four-fold increase in confirmed cases in a single week.

The WHO emphasised that its announcement did not mean that the virus was more dangerous than previously thought or that it was more likely to mutate into a more lethal form, only that it had the capability of spreading easily within many different countries.

However, the WHO's director general, Margaret Chan, warned that influenza viruses were notoriously unpredictable and that the relatively mild symptoms experienced by many people infected with swine flu could turn more severe as the virus changed its genetic make-up. She said further spread was inevitable.

Dr Chan said that the nearly 30,000 confirmed cases were likely to be a small part of the real number because effective influenza surveillance in many countries was not being carried out.

The strain of H1N1 influenza A that first appeared in Mexico in April is "pretty stable" at present but like all flu viruses it could change "without rhyme or reason" from a mild to a severe form, Dr Chan said. "We have to brace ourselves for more deaths," she said.

The WHO is negotiating with manufacturers to develop and produce vaccines. It is not recommending restrictions on travel or the closure of borders as a result of declaring a pandemic, Dr Chan said.

The Department of Health said that the announcement had no immediate implications for the British public, but it could result in the Government taking further preventative measures, such as imposing travel bans and ordering an increase in the production of flu vaccines. The NHS will check that emergency plans are in place and tested.

Australia now has the most infected city in the world (Melbourne). thankfully so far all cases are on the east Coast and I am on the West Coast.

I DO have a bit of a sore throat today, maybe I should go home?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lodgebo

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu   Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:50 pm

500 cases make Scotland the most infected part of the UK, the Scottish governemnt has said it wont be chasing down every single person that may have come in contact with victims and the are limiting who gets the anti virals in case a resistance is created, roughly translated i think that means were all fucked and in about 6 months it will be every man for himself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Schmiggens MKII

Number of posts : 438
Where I am : @ Work
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu   Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:50 pm

Did you see the movie "Doomsday" where Scotland gets a virus that makes Zombies and they just build a big wall and leave everyone in Scotland to die?

That's what you have to look forward to Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swine Flu   

Back to top Go down

Swine Flu
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Inrejects :: News and Hot Topics :: Breaking News-
Jump to: