HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Drop Dead Fred (2010?)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Schmiggens

Number of posts : 1397
Where I am : 'Straylia
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Drop Dead Fred (2010?)   Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:56 am

Did anyone see the original of this? I saw it a few times and remember it being funny, although I was young, it was 1990 or 1991 I think? So it probably didn't take much to make me laugh, and I think it was mostly slapstick and lame kind of jokes.

It's the story of a woman whos childhood imaginary friend comes back to her as an adult and wreaks havoc in her life. Fred was played by Rick Mayall from the Young Ones in the original movie. (Did you get The Young Ones in the USA?)

Well they are (supposedly) planning a remake of it with Russell Brand as Fred. If you don't know who he is, I think the only thing he has done in the USA is to host the MTV Awards, he is quite famous in the UK as a stand up comedian and I think he has his own TV show and used to have a radio show until he got sacked for taking a joke too far on air with someone.

Aparently they are going to make it slightly darker with a more Beetlejuice vibe.

I am 50/50 on this, it would be easy to improve on the original but it would also be easy to overdo it and ruin it. I am also unsure about Russell Brand, he's not exactly funny on his own, just funny through vulgarity and crudeness, which any idiot with a course British accent and too-tight pants could pull off. I think its just a rumour for now, we'll see how it pans out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

Number of posts : 9726
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Drop Dead Fred (2010?)   Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:59 am

I liked it as a kid, don't dare to watch it as an adult. I remember my parents being utterly disgusted with it. I also remember getting my admission back because I had to sit on the stairs (they oversold the theatre).

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Drop Dead Fred (2010?)   Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:19 pm

Read a blurb on this. I have only see Brand in that Forgetting Sarah Marshall movie, thought he was funny. But it seems everyone outside of America hates this dude.

Don't see that this movie needs to be remade.

Wonder who will play Go To Hell Herman!

In the original though, the guy that played DDF was in the BBC's Young Ones. Loved that damn show.

And whatever happened to Phoebe Cates. She gives a whole generation of teen males a giant boner, kicks ass in Gremlins, then disappears quicker than Carrie Fishers figure. Odd.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Drop Dead Fred (2010?)   Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:54 pm

Phoebe Cates was the bomb. Taiwanese still talk about her. But then, they make a big deal about her mother being a half-Taiwanese chick. Which only makes Phoebe Cates a quarter Taiwanese... so it's like, who gives a shit man?

Phoebe Cates married Kevin Kline. What is he, like, 20 years older than her? Not to mention she didn't give me a go first... lame...

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Drop Dead Fred (2010?)   Fri May 01, 2009 7:01 pm

Kevin Kline? That's cool. He is a damn good actor.

Last thing I remember her being in was Gremlins 2. That movie sucked ballsacks.

Drop Dead Fred didn't do that well in the box office. Still not sure why it's being remade.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Drop Dead Fred (2010?)   Fri May 01, 2009 8:29 pm

Yes. If there was ever any movie that didn't need to be remade, it is this one.

Number of posts : 4023
Where I am : North Carolina

PostSubject: Re: Drop Dead Fred (2010?)   Wed May 06, 2009 9:52 pm

I loved this movie when I was a kid.

PostSubject: Re: Drop Dead Fred (2010?)   

Back to top Go down

Drop Dead Fred (2010?)
Page 1 of 1