HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Buffy The Vampie Slayer

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Schmiggens MKII

Number of posts : 438
Where I am : @ Work
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Buffy The Vampie Slayer   Tue May 26, 2009 9:51 pm

There have been rumours of a Buffy The Vampire Slayer movie ever since the TV show ended and they picked up a gear earlier this year with the creator of the TV seris saying he might be interested in doing it. But then Sarah Michelle Gellar got pregnant and it all kind of died down.

Now there's a new rumour doing the rounds:

Quote :
'Buffy' in for feature relaunch

A new incarnation of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" could be coming to the big screen.

"Buffy" creator Joss Whedon isn't involved and it's not set up at a studio, but Roy Lee and Doug Davison of Vertigo Entertainment are working with original movie director Fran Rubel Kuzui and her husband, Kaz Kuzui, on what is being labeled a remake or relaunch, but not a sequel or prequel.

While Whedon is the person most associated with "Buffy," Kuzui and her Kuzui Enterprises have held onto the rights since the beginning, when she discovered the "Buffy" script from then-unknown Whedon. She developed the script while her husband put together the financing to make the 1992 movie, which was released by Fox.

Kuzui later teamed with Gail Berman, then president of Sandollar Television, bringing back Whedon to make the TV series, which was produced by Fox TV and launched on the WB in 1997. Kuzui and Sandollar received executive producer credits on "Buffy" and its spinoff, "Angel."

DisplayVote59234();

The new "Buffy" film, however, would have no connection to the TV series, nor would it use popular supporting characters like Angel, Willow, Xander or Spike. Vertigo and Kuzui are looking to restart the story line without trampling on the beloved existing universe created by Whedon, putting the parties in a similar situation faced by Paramount, J.J. Abrams and his crew when relaunching "Star Trek."

One of the underlying ideas of "Buffy" allows Vertigo and Kuzui to do just that: that each generation has its own vampire slayer to protect it. The goal would be to make a darker, event-sized movie that would, of course, have franchise potential.

The parties are meeting with writers and hearing takes, and later will look for a home for the project. The producers do not rule out Whedon's involvement but have not yet reached out to him.Speaking from Tokyo, Fran Kuzui said the company is constantly approached not only about sequels but theater, video games and foreign remakes for "Buffy." When Vertigo's Lee contacted them, they were intrigued.

"It was Roy's interest in taking Buffy into a new place that grabbed us," she said, noting that original exec producer Sandy Gallin also was consulted. "It was based on our respect for what he does, and his particular sensitivity to Asian filmmakers, that we wanted to work with him."

Kuzui, who is prepping do direct a movie in Japan in the fall, added: "Everything has its moment. Every movie takes on a life at some point, and this seems like the moment to do this."

So it would have nothing to do with the previous movie OR the TV Series. It would be just another vampire movie. Aren't there enough vampire movies out there that they don't have to ruin a perfectly good series?

Luke Perry MUST have a cameo in it if they make this movie Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

Number of posts : 9726
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Buffy The Vampie Slayer   Tue May 26, 2009 10:04 pm

Hahaha yeah I read this yesterday but I was just hoping for all that was holy that it wouldn't happen.

For many reasons...

I mean, honestly, if I was going to watch Buffy again I'd need the whole television gang. And a movie like that could work, it really could.

But, I mean, a revamp of it... a "dark" revamp of Buffy, I just don't know. Buffy's funny, perky... that's just the way it is.

I'm not saying I won't watch it, but...

Number of posts : 4023
Where I am : North Carolina

PostSubject: Re: Buffy The Vampie Slayer   Tue May 26, 2009 10:07 pm

They already have a Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie.

Oh lord, the vampire slayer jokes were just dying down too. Now I'm gonna have a whole new generation of people to pick on me.

PostSubject: Re: Buffy The Vampie Slayer   Tue May 26, 2009 10:57 pm

gaboman wrote:
But, I mean, a revamp of it... a "dark" revamp of Buffy, I just don't know. Buffy's funny, perky... that's just the way it is.

WHY does every movie that's coming out lately have to be "dark"? Is the 00's going to be known as the decade of everything being film noir? Sure it's about vampires, but even the original movie wasn't scary, it was more lighthearted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Buffy The Vampie Slayer   Wed May 27, 2009 1:23 am

Hahaha that's a good point, right? I think a lot of shit in the early 00's and the 90's was too light hearted and fans of dark horror were pissed. A lot of stuff from back in the day was overly campy and lame. And movies became lame and too comedic.

Okay, I blame Batman Forever and Batman & Robin, actually.

PostSubject: Re: Buffy The Vampie Slayer   Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:17 pm

This has been announced officially and sounds like it's going to suck big time... officially...

FOR IMMEDIATE TELEASE

WARNER BROS. PICTURES SHOWS ITS FANGS WITH A “BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER” REBOOT

LOS ANGELES, NOVEMBER 11, 2010 – Atlas Entertainment announced today it is rebooting the beloved franchise, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, with Warner Bros. Pictures. Atlas’ Charles Roven and Steve Alexander will produce the feature film alongside Doug Davison and Roy Lee of Vertigo Entertainment (The Ring, How to Train Your Dragon, The Departed). Whit Anderson is writing the script.

Warner Bros. Pictures optioned the rights from creators Fran and Kaz Kuzui, and from Sandollar Productions (Sandy Gallin and Dolly Parton), for Atlas and Vertigo to produce. Buffy the Vampire Slayer first appeared as a film in 1992, subsequently becoming a cult hit and spawning the wildly popular television series starring Sarah Michelle Gellar and David Boreanaz, among many others.

“Whit approached us with an exciting idea about how to update Buffy,” said Roven. “There is an active fan base eagerly awaiting this character’s return to the big screen. We’re thrilled to team up with Doug and Roy on a re-imagining of Buffy and the world she inhabits. Details of the film are being kept under wraps, but I can say while this is not your high school Buffy, she’ll be just as witty, tough, and sexy as we all remember her to be.”

Whit Anderson is represented by CAA, Wirehouse Entertainment and Julian Zajfen at Ziffren, Brittenham, Branca, Fischer, Gilbert-Lurie & Stifflemen

PostSubject: Re: Buffy The Vampie Slayer   Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:13 pm

Oh Great!

PostSubject: Re: Buffy The Vampie Slayer   Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:50 pm

No Joss Whedon = FAIL
No Sarah Michelle-Gellar = FAIL
No original supporting characters = FAIL

I cannot see any way they can do this and not have it be a failure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Buffy The Vampie Slayer   Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:00 pm

Most probably a failure, but only because it's likely they're going to play to the whole human/vampire love that's so popular now. If that's the angle they're going for, count me out.

I think it's possible to reboot Buffy and still make it good (not Joss Whedon good, but enjoyable), but i just can't see it working out that way in the current movie climate (re: sucky).

PostSubject: Re: Buffy The Vampie Slayer   Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:11 am

FAIL! Buffy The Vampire Slayer Reboot Script Gets REJECTED!

Looks like absolutely everybody SMG was right when she said that a Joss Whedon-less Buffy reboot was a horrible idea!

Sources close to the upcoming Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot flick are saying that first time screenwriter Whit Anderson's script has been rejected.

Here's what one of the sources had to say about it:

"If you’re going to bring it back, you have to do it right. [Anderson] came in with some great ideas and she had reinvented some of the lore and it was pretty cool but in the end there just wasn’t enough on the page."

The project isn't dead though, and a new writer is currently being sought. Ugh.

Maybe Hopefully after the next script fails to impress, everyone involved with this reboot will realize that they've made a huge mistake.

What do U think? Any chance that the next Buffy script will actually be good???

http://perezhilton.com/2011-12-27-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-reboot-script-by-first-time-screenwriter-whit-anderson-gets-rejected

PostSubject: Re: Buffy The Vampie Slayer   Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:13 am

I'm actualy kinda happy about it failing. It's just gotten to the point that every new person I meet doesn't make a vampire refference, I don't need that starting up again. Though I did love the original movie that inspired the show that was nothing like the show so I think there can be a movie with out charcters from the show. I just don't think fans of the show are gonna be to happy about it.

PostSubject: Re: Buffy The Vampie Slayer   Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:35 am

Drives me nuts about hollywood announcing shit that's written and rewritten and what have you.

For example, I've been hearing about a movie, World War Z, for years. I saw an article about it the other day, and was thinking it was a review or announcing it's first week numbers or something (like it was actually getting released).

Nope, turns out it was just about them hiring a new writer. I mean, when a movie's been on the books for years, I don't really give a shit about any new writers at that point. Tell me when the movie's filming and maybe I'll pay attention.

PostSubject: Re: Buffy The Vampie Slayer   

Back to top Go down

Buffy The Vampie Slayer
Page 1 of 1