HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Whitney Houston

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Schmiggens MKII

Number of posts : 438
Where I am : @ Work
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Whitney Houston   Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:55 pm

Whitney Houston to release comeback album this fall

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Pop diva Whitney Houston will release a new album in September, her first in seven years, Arista Records said on Thursday, announcing the long-awaited comeback for the talented but troubled star.

Since her career kicked off in 1985 with her self-titled debut, Houston has sold more than 170 million records, singles and videos around the world. Houston, 45, is one of music's most decorated female artists, with more than 400 awards.

Trained as a gospel singer, some of Houston's best-known hits include "How Will I Know," "Greatest Love of All," and "I Will Always Love You" from the 1992 movie "The Bodyguard," in which she also starred.

In recent years, she made headlines for her troubled personal life, including stints in rehab and a 2007 divorce from husband Bobby Brown.
Houston's most recent public performance was in February at a pre-Grammy party hosted by record producer Clive Davis, where Davis said she was ready for her comeback. She was also a presenter at the Grammy Awards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Schmiggens MKII

PostSubject: Re: Whitney Houston   Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:56 pm

I can't believe it's been seven years since her last album! Doesn't seem that long ago. Damn I am getting old!

I hope this is good, there's going to be a high expectation and if she doesn't meet that, I don't know how well the album will do. Although the true fans will buy it, no matter what she releases, I guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

Number of posts : 9666
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Whitney Houston   Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:03 pm

Her last album wasn't very good. It had a few good tracks, but not that good... it was just very generic. So she doesn't have THAT much to live up to. But i hope it's good, and not overrun with Ne-Yo and The-Dream and T-Pain. I'll vomit if it is.

If ya think 7 years since her last album is amazing, it's been 12 since Bobby Brown's last album.

PostSubject: Re: Whitney Houston   Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:12 pm

gaboman wrote:
But i hope it's good, and not overrun with Ne-Yo and The-Dream and T-Pain. I'll vomit if it is.

Not quite G, but it will have a collaboration with Akon (urgh) and one with Alicia Keys.

Whitney’s New Album Features Alicia Keys, Akon

Here’s a little more info on Whitney Houston’s still untitled new comeback album. I told you eariler this week that Whitney’s album was done, and would be released by the Grammy deadline cut off of August 31, 2009.

Well, yesterday Arista Records confirmed it. There’s one weird hitch: the album will go on September 1st, one day after the deadline. I know, it doesn’t make any sense. Maybe it’s a shipping thing, and the Grammys will allow a 24 hour grace period.

More importantly, here’s some news: Alicia Keys wrote and produced a track on the album for Whitney. Houston has been “working” Alicia for a couple of years, and it finally happened. The track is also produced by Alicia’s reported current love interest, the producer Swizz Beatz. (His real name is Kasseem Dean, by the way.)

There are tracks on Whitney’s album from Diane Warren, Stargate, and other top producers of the day. But the first single is set to be a David Foster production.

And yes, the track that was leaked last year with Akon, “Like I Never Left,” will be included in its finished form.

I am told, also, that the album is a combination of big, sweeping ballads and 80s dance music like Houston’s trademark hit, “How Will I Know” and “I Wanna Dance With Somebody.”

So it looks like we will have new albums from Whitney and Mariah at the same time after all. It’s a flashback battle of the divas, circa 1994. Bring it on!

http://www.showbiz411.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Schmiggens MKII

PostSubject: Re: Whitney Houston   Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:13 pm

Schmiggens MKII wrote:
I am told, also, that the album is a combination of big, sweeping ballads and 80s dance music like Houston’s trademark hit, “How Will I Know” and “I Wanna Dance With Somebody.”

YES!!!!!! 80's dance Whitney is the best kind of Whitney!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Whitney Houston   Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:16 pm

David Foster production shouldn't be too bad. No doubt the song'll be written by Diane Warren, as they often are.

Though I hate Akon, the tracks he did for Lionel Richie weren't bad so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Stargate and Swizz Beatz... yeah, I dunno.

These new songwriters/products just don't do anything for me. Everything's becoming electronic and, seriously, R&B is becoming more and more like techno. I wish they'd just split off and make their own new style and leave me the fuck alone.

Number of posts : 1397
Where I am : 'Straylia
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Whitney Houston   Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:25 am

Million Dollar Bill will be the first single. Written by Alicia Keys.

Listen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZRcpvUdwrw

It's pretty good. I think it will grow on me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Whitney Houston   Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:35 am

Yeah, at the listening party people were raving about Million Dollar Bill.

Not too bad. Got an old school feel to it.

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Whitney Houston   Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:50 pm

Where is she coming back from? The moon?

Nah, I know. It's obscurity.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

Number of posts : 7017
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Whitney Houston   Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:12 pm

Crack is whack!

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Schmiggens MKII

PostSubject: Re: Whitney Houston   Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:45 am

Oprah to Kick off New Season with Whitney Houston Exclusive

Oprah Winfrey has announced that she'll interview iconic musician Whitney Houston for the premiere episode of her upcoming 24th season.

Oprah is calling Whitney's first interview in nearly seven years, which will air on September 14, "the most anticipated music interview of the decade."

Whitney's first new album in several years, "I Look to You," drops on August 31.

http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/08/77709/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Schmiggens MKII

PostSubject: Re: Whitney Houston   Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:47 am

You would assume that means Whitney will also be performing on Oprah. Most singers that get interviewed on Oprah also perform, but it's Whitney, so anything is possible. She makes her own rules.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Whitney Houston   Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:48 am

Yeah, she'll probably perform. I dunno, I'm not looking forward to the new CD despite the hype around it. I mean I'll get it and see how it is, but from what I've heard it isn't fantastic.

PostSubject: Re: Whitney Houston   Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:05 am

Same.

And I was listening to songs from The Bodyguard soundtrack this morning, and really, you can't top that. I can't imagine anything that would top that.

Be interesting to see if she performs live though, or if she lip-syncs. And if she does sing live, how she sounds. Hopefully she sings an oldie and a song off the new album.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Whitney Houston   Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:49 am

She can still sing well enough, but perhaps not to her old standards. None of the current songs going around have the same impact as I Will Always Love You and I Have Nothing. Or even I Wanna Dance With Somebody, which, vocally, is like... woah.

PostSubject: Re: Whitney Houston   

Back to top Go down

Whitney Houston
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1