HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Whatever Works (2009)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HECK!

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Whatever Works (2009)   Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:36 pm

Whatever Works

Written/Directed: Woody Allen

Starring
Larry David
Evan Rachel Wood

Plot on IMDB: Attempting to impress his ideologies on religion, relationships, and the randomness (and worthlessness) of existence, lifelong New York resident Boris Yellnikoff rants to anyone who will listen, including the audience. But when he begrudgingly allows naive Mississippi runaway Melodie St. Ann Celestine to live in his apartment, his reclusive rages give way to an unlikely friendship and Boris begins to mold the impressionable young girl's worldly views to match his own. When it comes to love, "whatever works" is his motto, but his already perplexed life complicates itself further when Melodie's parents eventually track her down.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Whatever Works (2009)   Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:43 pm

Went to a advanced screening of this weeks ago.

I am not a Woody Allen fan. Not at all. I hate his films.

That being said, Whatever Works is f'n hilarious. Funniest movie I've seen this year, hands down.

I do like Larry David, he's great on Curb Your Enthusiasm. I came into this movie thinking I would see Larry playing Larry from Curb. I was wrong.

Larry plays Boris, self-proclaimed genius and asshole, a suicidal malcontent who doesn’t exist in normal society. Love is pointless, everyone is an idiot, and his mosquito bite could be a tumor. He quit his job teaching quantum mechanics to teach Chess to children. He actually just berates them endlessly for money.

Boris comes home one night to see Evan Rachel Woods’ Melodie sleeping near his doorstep. She’s a clueless runaway from the south who begs her way into a meal, which turns into a sleepover, which turns into a place to live, which turns into the point of the movie.

What goes down is just damn funny. Plenty of other great co-stars which eventually start to take over the movie.

I can't reccommend this enough. Give it an 'A' without hesitation.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

Number of posts : 9666
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Whatever Works (2009)   Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:18 pm

Sounds alright. I'm also not a Woody Allen fan. Even Annie Hall is well, alright... I find a lot of his stuff is stupidity trying to pass itself off as intelligence. Or maybe it's the other way around...

PostSubject: Re: Whatever Works (2009)   Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:31 pm

I couldn't stand him. But this flick is money. Might actually try out a few of his other films now.

Literal spit take on a few lines. Comedy.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whatever Works (2009)   

Back to top Go down

Whatever Works (2009)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1