HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Harlan Coben - "Tell No One"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gaboman

Number of posts : 9673
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Harlan Coben - "Tell No One"   Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:24 am

I'm reading this book at HECK's recommendation. Actually, I brought the book into work today and my collegue is like "I told you to read this last year, damn it!!" And she did, there's actually a little piece of paper in my wallet that she wrote the dude's name on.

Anyway, so far it's an alright read. Written in the first person, but I don't quite trust the narrator (he says a lot without ever saying anything, if you know what I mean). It starts off good. The main dude, named Beck, is with the love of his life going to the place where they shared their first kiss at the age of 12. In a tree with their initials carved, they carve a stroke for another year they've been together. They do it, he loses her, hears her scream, gets conked in the noggin' and falls into the river (oh yeah there's a river nearby).

Jump forward 8 years. She's dead, he's a doctor. He has lunch with his sister's lesbian lover, then goes back to his office and gets an email with the words from the tree in its title. There's a link. It's the day before their anniversary. Nothing on the site, yet, but he figures he has to wait til 'kiss time'. It's like a sick joke.

Anyways, not much going on yet, but I'll keep ya'll updated.

PostSubject: Re: Harlan Coben - "Tell No One"   Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:30 pm

So he checks the website at 6:30 (I think that's right), and sees a traffic cam. Then at some point his wife comes into view, mouths the words 'I'm sorry' and disappears. The feed goes dead.

She looks like she's aged 8 years, but he's certain its her. He goes off to talk to her parents and asks her dad what she looked like when she identified her body. Beaten, bruised, cut, ripped jaw, all the normal stuff.

Also during this time, the main character gets a call from a cop who's talking about what happened 8 years ago - saying they found 2 bodies buried in the same general area...

Cut to a totally separate story (but is obviously related). A con man gets wacked for fucking with the wrong hombre. Then they follow the people who killed him, and it seems they know the main character and his sister - but what they have to do with the story, who knows? But it seems the death of the main dude's wife is related.

Then the FBI question the made dude. They show him photos of his wife's beaten body, from months before she died. He says they were from a car accident, but he'd never seen the photos before. Then he lawyers up and gets the fuck out of there.

Pretty bloody interesting book, and it's such a quick read. I'm liking it a lot.

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Harlan Coben - "Tell No One"   Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:21 am

Yup. And... you have no idea of what's to come. Just when you think you know, you don't. Guessing is pointless. Just go along for the ride.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Harlan Coben - "Tell No One"   Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:53 am

I'm glad guessing is pointless. I've had theories that have come up, but I don't have a clue.

It is confusing, this is for sure. If the wife is still alive, then the father obviously IDed her wrong. Which means the father is involved. The main dude, Beck, called his wife's friend to ask about the accident and she completely avoided him and hung up. Would she be involved?

The wife's hiding from something or someone, I'd assume. Or that would be the obvious assumption...

The main dude has issues. He has guilt. He had guilty before his wife was dead. Over what? Did he have something to do with... something? Did he know she was going to die that night?

Did his wife arrange for him to be smacked over the head, did she arrange her own disappearance?

Fuck it, I have no idea. I don't want to know yet.

I hope I didn't spoil the book though. I accidently saw the last page, the last line said something "it was my brother, Ken" and I'm like FUCK IT! I hope that's not important.

PostSubject: Re: Harlan Coben - "Tell No One"   Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:38 am

Oh, you're screwed. You saw the last page. Stop reading... haha, no. I looked in my copy, you saw the final sentence of the first chapter of Coben's next book, Gone For Good. There is a excerpt of it at the end of Tell No One. You're fine. Forget about it.

I won't give anything away about Tell No One. Keeps you going and going, doesn't let up. Right until the last page.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Harlan Coben - "Tell No One"   Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:50 am

Oh thank God for that... that's a relief. I was freaked out that I'd be like "DAMN IT!!!"

I hope you're not talking this up too much. I mean I'm really enjoying this book, but if the pay off isn't huge I'm going to be pissed. And... it better not be way too far fetched. Like if suddenly there's a time machine or some shit, I'll be all like... 'where'd that time machine come from?'

My book has a quote from an author I like on the cover. "Suspense at its finest" - Jeffrey Deaver. Deaver rocks. After you read more than 4 or 5 of his books you can kind of pick up on his pattern, but he does surprise you still.

PostSubject: Re: Harlan Coben - "Tell No One"   Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:58 am

I don't want to build it up a ton. I really like it. Suggested it years ago. I will say if you like it this far, then it only gets better. And you will love the time machine finale. I did find the robots were a bit much. The blatant rip-off of The Terminator climax was unsettling.

Just take it one page at a time. Don't want shit to be unerwhelming. And it won't be.

Never heard of Deaver. Might have to check his stuff. Love a good suspense book.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Harlan Coben - "Tell No One"   Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:05 am

Try Devil's Teardrop by Jeffrey Deaver. I mean, it's not all that and the grand twist would be obvious to Stevie Wonder (by which I mean I've heard that Stevie's ability to guess the end of books is pretty bad).... but I liked the idea of it.

No, now that I think about it... try... Speaking In Tongues. It's a quick read. Don't get any of his early books, they're all shithouse. Anything after The Bone Collector is worthwhile.

PostSubject: Re: Harlan Coben - "Tell No One"   Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:38 am

Okay, so the FBI are looking at the main character for the death of his wife. They've revealled that on the 2 dead bodies they found a key. The key opened a safe deposit box, and in the box they found the battered and bruised photos of the dead wife.

They found something else too, but they're not revealing what.

Here's the confusing part. They're also telling the story of the ... well, it seems like some sort of mafia style family, or some rich king pin type of dude, who seems to have had something to do with the death of the wife. NOW, for some reason, these guys are UPSET that the FBI are trying to pin the murder on the husband/main character. I find that a bit odd, but I'll see why soon enough.

The main dude's best friend (his sister's girlfriend) has just put the idea in his head that it may be some sort of digital manipulation and he was fooled by a hoax. I'd assume this isn't the case.

Main dude has appointments all over the place now. He wants to meet the man accused of killing his wife (serial killer), he's going to meet a lawyer whose number he found in his wife's diary... I'm sure there's more but I forget.

PostSubject: Re: Harlan Coben - "Tell No One"   Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:42 pm

Okay, to me, it seems like it's 100% his wife. She gave him a coded message that only he could work out and that only she would know, and she told him that they should meet (the next day, not up to that point in the book yet).

Unfortunately it seems like the FBI are going to be after him soon. His wife's best friend, who he visited the previous day, has turned up dead. The only thing they know is that the main character went to visit her the previous day.

Seems those mafia/hitmen guys really wanna know what he's up to though. They don't seem to know what's going on. The 2 bodies found near the place his wife was killed were definitely hired by those dudes... but to what end? To bump off the dude's wife? It seems she got the shit beaten out of her a few months before her death, so it could be related.

The main dude doesn't remember what happened exactly. Remembers getting smacked in the head, fallign into the water. But they found him in the house, and he apparently called the police. But he only remembers waking up in the hospital. Did he go nuts and kill the men who went after his wife, then told his wife to disappear?

Another revelation is the dude apparently had a one-night-stand in college... not sure if that's related or not, but that explains his guilt at the beginning of the book I guess.

He's trying to get his wife's autopsy report now. So he can see the photos. I guess it'll end up being missing or something.

PostSubject: Re: Harlan Coben - "Tell No One"   Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:16 am

Man, I dig remembering all the plot points of this book as you read it.

Coben can write a really good suspense/thriller/whodunit.

I have 10 or 11 of his books. Tell No One is probably the best. He busts one out every year.

When I first read TNO, I had a few ideas. Some were right, then turned wrong. And vice versa. Sounds like am I talking in circles, because I am talking in circles.

Looking forward to what you think of the end.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Harlan Coben - "Tell No One"   Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:13 am

Can't wait. I'm going through it at a reasonable speed, since I only really read for 10 to 15 minutes in the morning.

I got 2 more of his books so I'll read them next. But if this is the best, I'm probably in for a let down.

I dunno, everything about the book is unsure at this point.

One thing I've been noticing is that the main character's sister, Linda? She's not popping up all that often. I reckon there's something to that. It's always her girlfriend, Shaunta or whatever her name is, that's popping up. Also, the main character was told to tell noone... but he did tell Shauna.... yeah that's less black, it's probably Shauna.

He's being followed, according to his wife's messages, and we've seen somebody seems to be wtching him. Is that the asian dude and the big dude (doubtful, but are they the same group of folks?) or the FBI?

I guess I need to know, if the wife is actually alive, who is she hiding from? The law or the bad guys? Are the FBI bad guys? Who knows... Well, people who've read the book do... but none of them should be telling me.

PostSubject: Re: Harlan Coben - "Tell No One"   Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:52 pm

Okay, I have a thought but it's probably wrong.

Elizabeth killed that dude's son. That's why she's hiding. And that's why that dude wants her so bad. I'll be kind of disappointed if that's the case, though, because I guess it's seeming a little obvious. Perhaps it's the way the author is leading us so he can give us something else later on.

The reason I think this is... well, easy. Elizabeth wasn't banging this street kid, Gonzales or whatever. They thought Gonzales killed the guy's son. But then he's got an alibi. Elizabeth said they were together (at 10 or 11 at night). My thought is that this alibi is hers as much as it is his... suspicion can't fall on her as long as she's got an alibi. Otherwise I can't think of any real reason to give this kid an alibi.

Why did she kill the son? Maybe he beat her up or some shit (hence the bruises and such).

She's obviously still alive. WHY the writer continues to refer to her as "she" instead of by name, I don't know. I originally thought she did it to throw us off, but by everything going on and everything that's said it's obvious this girl can be nobody else but Elizabeth.

My other thought is the main guy, David Beck or whatever, he killed the dude's son. He hasn't said much on the topic, and he had a 'reaction' at some point when talking about it. But once again that could just to throw you off the truth.

PostSubject: Re: Harlan Coben - "Tell No One"   Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:07 am

I dunno, it's seeming more and more like my theory is correct. But then again, they could just be trying to throw me off the truth.

They've already announced that the dude's son is responsible for her bruises on the dude's wife (Elizabeth). It's also said that the father knew about that... obviously she had to hide somehow, because shit was going down. The father helped.

What happened that night 8 years ago (when she 'died') is still a mystery. Obviously SOMEONE tried to kill her that night. How she survived and what happened then is... going to be interesting, I guess.

PostSubject: Re: Harlan Coben - "Tell No One"   Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:30 pm

Twist and turn and twist and turn. Your preeminent page turner. Just wait.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Harlan Coben - "Tell No One"   Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:57 pm

Meh, Elizabeth's father just admitted to killing the son to protect Elizabeth, but then also that he pretty much let her take the blame (after she gave the dude they framed an alibi). He's said they faked her death to protect her, which is pretty much what I'd gathered. But he's lied a bit here and there.

There haven't been any ENORMOUS revelations, I have to say. I mean we knew the father was lying from the get go. The fact that he was in the big rich dude's pocket wasn't something that really blew my mind.

Tyrese's son was kidnapped so that the rich dude could get the main guy (David Beck). Elizabeth's father is about to give Beck to the bad guys. It's all coming to an end. It was a good thriller, that's for sure, but nothing yet has exactly blown my mind as far as twists go.

PostSubject: Re: Harlan Coben - "Tell No One"   Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:08 am

Alright, the end was pretty good. But I'd already thought of every possible ending... so it wasn't that much of a shock. But it was a good read, that's for sure. I'll read more.

But, dude, HECK, man, brother, if you want to see a real twist, read some Jeffrey Deaver. Try any one of these:

The Blue Nowhere
A Maiden's Grave
Speaking In Tongues
The Devil's Teardrop

If you like one of them, you can start on the Lincoln Rhyme books too (like The Bone Collector). Seriously, this dude knows how to fuck with your head. You'll see half the twists coming, but the other half you'll have no idea.

PostSubject: Re: Harlan Coben - "Tell No One"   Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:46 pm

A good twist though, yeah? I was afraid you'd figure it out with all the scenarios you were dropping. You did come up with it. Damn your investigative nature! Hah.

Glad you liked it. Coben has some great books. If you need another title, let me know.

I will check one of the Deaver books for sure. Next time I am at the store. Actually, I am reading a book right no. So soon.

I really dig a good twist. Only a few authors can truly knock you on your butt.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Harlan Coben - "Tell No One"   Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:25 pm

I just realized I loaned this book out to someone and haven't gotten it back. Bummer.

But almost 3 years has passed, I'm sure HECK's read plenty of Jeffrey Deaver by now. Oh great HECKster, how many of Mr. Deaver's books have you read in all this time?

Yeah that's what I thought. Ha.

He actually wrote the new James Bond 007 book. I'm curious to see what it's like.

PostSubject: Re: Harlan Coben - "Tell No One"   

Back to top Go down

Harlan Coben - "Tell No One"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1