HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Childhood is wasted on children...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Whidden

Number of posts : 7143
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Childhood is wasted on children...   Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:59 pm

I was thinking to back to when I was very young, around 3 and 4 years old. My Great Grandma was still alive.

They would take me over to visit with her and stuff. I remember being a little afraid of her, I think because she was very very old.

Don't remember what I said or did, just hung around and played I guess.

What a waste!

Her name was Effie.

I think that's a pretty cool name. No one named that nowadays.

She was 90's, this was the early 70's, that means she remembered cowboy days. All kinds of things. If I could go back in time...what a treat that would be. Ask her all kinds of things a 41 year old man would want to know.

What was it like in those days? What she thought about certain things? All the stories from a long life?

I was just a little kid, I didn't know any better. My time with her was whatever it was, I was around 4 years old.

You don't see, till you are older, that these people actually made decisions that led to your EXISTENCE. I mean, damn, these people from way back you barley met, decided to get married, make a life, have children, and somehow it led to you being alive.

I wish I had a time machine, could go back and enter my young self and ask her all kinds of things about her life.

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

Number of posts : 9719
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Childhood is wasted on children...   Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:52 pm

I would have given anything to have a great-grandmother when I was a kid. How awesome would that have been? But all 4 of mine were dead by that point. I mean, as far as I know. My mum's grandparents, we have no idea where they went. My dad's mum's parents died when she was 5 or 6, my dad's dad's parents I never heard much about either. But that would have been cool, yeah.

I liked childhood. I was less repressed back then. Running around, and that. I was outgoing and had fun. I've forgotten how to laugh. I reckon adulthood is wasted on me, atlesat more than childhood was.

I should make the most of my grandmother while she's still around though. I mean, she was in France and Germany during World War 2. Never asked her about it. I'm too scared she'll get the shits with me. We did talk about it once, and she just said there wasn't much to tell and got all solemn so I left it alone.

Number of posts : 583
Where I am : Portsmouth, Hampshire
Registration date : 2007-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Childhood is wasted on children...   Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:15 pm

I shall always regret not getting to know my Nan. According to my Mum and Dad she could be quite selfish but all I remember of her is that she was always nice to me and she had a black walking stick with a duck's head as its handle (which mysteriously vansihed from the home when she died).

It's made worse by the fact that she was in a home for about seven years and I only visited her a couple of times. What makes me regret it even more is that one day I had come home from school and decided, for no reason, that I was going to visit her the next week. I intended to ask my Aunt to take me to see her but I put it off. The next week she died in her sleep.

It's the one major regret of my life so far, that I didn't go and see her when I wanted to. I still wonder today, about eleven years later, how happy she would have been to see me and I've always felt guilty that I put off seeing her.

I got to know my Grandad a bit before he died about two years ago. We went to a couple Portmouth games together. I never asked him about his life, which I regret, but I'm glad we got to spend so time together before he died. He had actually been told that the date for his heart operation (that he had been on the waiting list for for around three month) the morning of the day he died but some of his other Grandkids visited him that day so he at least had a happy last day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Childhood is wasted on children...   Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:48 pm

It feels taboo, right? Asking your grandparents about thier life? I have no clue about my grandparents' life before I was born. Same deal with my parents. I saw a photo once. They looked happier then... I'm not sure if I should take it as a sign...

PostSubject: Re: Childhood is wasted on children...   Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:55 pm

You gotta be smooth about it. When my grandpa was alive, I wouldn't just blurt out a request for his life story, you had to move in slow, and mention an old car, then ask what car they had, etc.

Slide in sideways. They get to talking about the car, and more stories come out.

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Childhood is wasted on children...   Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:12 am

Oh shit, I have actually done that before. It never ends well.

With my mum's mum she used to tell me about the house she grew up in. Something like 16 bedrooms, maids running around all over the place, a bowling alley downstairs, and some other stuff. Then she was disowened, which is a downer.

My dad's mum, you mention stuff like that, it usually starts with 'well, once me and my brother became orphans...' It was a bit of a downer too.

My dad's father had am alright sister, though. She used to tell us the funniest stories about my grandfather. Like him sleeping in a tree because he didn't want to get his ass kicked by his father, or the time they burnt the hemp patch in the backyard and got high as kites. Mind you, I was 10 when I was told these stories. Good times.

My mum's dad was deaf, had no hair, teeth, fingers, legs, and couldn't speak english even if he could talk or write... so it's like... I have no idea. He did give me candy a few times, that's about all I know.

Number of posts : 1251
Where I am : Commonwealth of Virginia
Registration date : 2007-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Childhood is wasted on children...   Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:35 am

on Thanksgiving, my brother was home from Japan, and was showing pictures, and got to the Hiroshima memorial. My grandma said "they never should've dropped those bombs. They dropped TWO! killed all those people"

my mom went back "more people would've died if they didn't!"

and they got into it. My grandma said "I remember when they dropped those bombs. Everyone was all happy about it then."

WHAT???? World War II is like ancient history for me. She was 12 years old when this happened. She saw the beginning and end of the Cold War. It's like going back in time man.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Childhood is wasted on children...   Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:06 am

Spooky. But I agree with your grandmother, it's sickening. You can actually see where the bombs detonated...

Number of posts : 1216
Where I am : san diego
Registration date : 2007-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Childhood is wasted on children...   Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:50 pm

On a less somber note- when I was a kid I was a ball-boy for the old San Diego Sockers . Before the game I was kicking a ball around with some of the players when my dad ordered me to get an autograph from the guy in the suit over by the tunnel. I didnt care who the guy was, I just wanted to play, but Dad told me to, so I reluctantly took my ball over and had Pele sign it. I immediately took the ball back to the field and proceeded to kick it around.

DOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Childhood is wasted on children...   Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:31 pm

Did you save that ball?!?!?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr. F

PostSubject: Re: Childhood is wasted on children...   Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:52 pm

Nope- somebody stole it during one of my teenage partys
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end

PostSubject: Re: Childhood is wasted on children...   Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:06 pm

If you had a time machine you could just go to the Old West yourself. Duh.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Childhood is wasted on children...   Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:26 pm

Mr. F wrote:
On a less somber note...
What's somber about the holocaust and mass genocide?

I used to go riding my bike with my mate Paul back in the day. Dunno why I don't go bike riding just for the hell of it anymore...

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end

PostSubject: Re: Childhood is wasted on children...   Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:31 pm

Dekka00 wrote:
on Thanksgiving, my brother was home from Japan, and was showing pictures, and got to the Hiroshima memorial. My grandma said "they never should've dropped those bombs. They dropped TWO! killed all those people"

my mom went back "more people would've died if they didn't!"

and they got into it. My grandma said "I remember when they dropped those bombs. Everyone was all happy about it then."

WHAT???? World War II is like ancient history for me. She was 12 years old when this happened. She saw the beginning and end of the Cold War. It's like going back in time man.

That's a trip. That generation saw so much.

I have a feeling we'll be talking about 9/11 the same way down the road. To kids 39 years from now they'll probably regard WW2 like we regard the Civil War.

Whidden- this is a good post. I had the same thoughts about my grandma, really wanted to talk to her. Learn more about the family. Then she passed suddenly and that was it. Last grandparent. So I hear you on kicking yourself for not taking advantage of the time you had.

But kids don't want to hear about shit that happened 50 years before they were born. But adults do, but by then it's too late. Eh. Such is life.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr. F

PostSubject: Re: Childhood is wasted on children...   Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:57 am

I actually feel kinda left out in a way.

My paternal grandmother was probably the most fascinating person Ive ever met. My grandpa died when dad was a teen , so she raised 2 boys (my dad was a real hellraiser let me tell ya) on her own.

She was a teacher in her younger years. After she retired she and her sister went on a weeklong trip once a month a month for almost 3o years. There isnt a place on this earth that she hasnt been within 100 miles of.

Even as kids we would listen to Grammie tell us stories about her latest trip to some country we had never heard of.

When she got into her 80's she quit going on her trips, but she remained sharp as a tack till very near the end of her days. If some obscure country came up in the news she had probably been there and still remembered it well.

Im making it sound like I just thought of her as an encyclopedia. She was the most loved , respected, and admired human being I have ever had the good fortune to meet. In my family any comparison to Grammie in any way is the highest form of compliment
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nymphadora

Number of posts : 4023
Where I am : North Carolina

PostSubject: Re: Childhood is wasted on children...   Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:09 pm

Was visiting my grandmother today, it's her 68th birthday. We were talking about kids today and she started talking talking about how things were when she was younger. Turns out she worked at Woolworths during the time they had the sit ins.

PostSubject: Re: Childhood is wasted on children...   

Back to top Go down

Childhood is wasted on children...
Page 1 of 1