HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Was Prince's Super performance too revealing?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lawless

Number of posts : 4788
Where I am : SUN Diego
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Was Prince's Super performance too revealing?   Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:25 pm

POSTED: 11:55 a.m. EST, February 7, 2007

Story Highlights

Prince guitar solo behind sheet at Super Bowl called phallic
Sensitive subject since Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction"
Many Prince songs sexually charged, but image has changed

NEW YORK (AP) -- In the sensitive post-wardrobe malfunction world, some are questioning whether a guitar was just a guitar during Prince's Super Bowl halftime show.

Prince's acclaimed performance included a guitar solo during the "Purple Rain" segment of his medley in which his shadow was projected onto a large, flowing beige sheet. As the 48-year-old rock star let rip, the silhouette cast by his figure and his guitar (shaped like the singer's symbol) had phallic connotations for some.

A number of bloggers have decried "Malfunction!" -- including Sam Anderson at New York magazine's Daily Intelligencer. Daily News television critic David Bianculli called it "a rude-looking shadow show" that "looked embarrassingly rude, crude and unfortunately placed." (What did you think? Respond in the Marquee blog.)

CBS spokesman Dana McClintock said Tuesday that the network has received "very few" complaints on Prince's performance. CBS last aired the Super Bowl in 2004 when Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake's "wardrobe malfunction" sparked criticism and a subsequent crackdown on broadcast decency from the Federal Communications Commission.

But this time, it was the NFL that produced the halftime show (MTV had in 2004). Spokesman Greg Aiello said the league has received no complaints.
"We respect other opinions, but it takes quite a leap of the imagination to make a controversy of his performance," Aiello said. "It's a guitar."

The majority of the reaction to Prince's performance has been laudatory, including positive reviews from The Associated Press, the New York Times and USA Today -- all of which noted the lack of controversy in this year's halftime show. AP Entertainment Writer Douglas J. Rowe wrote: "He delivered one of the best Super Bowl halftime shows -- ever."

For decades, the electric guitar, by nature, has been considered phallic. From Jimi Hendrix's sensual 6-string swagger to Eddie Van Halen's masturbatory soloing, the guitar has often been thought an extension of a male player's sexuality.

Was Prince's pose phallic?

"The short answer is, of course it is," says Rolling Stone magazine contributing editor Gavin Edwards, who points out that on Prince's "Purple Rain" tour in the mid '80s, he performed with a guitar that would ejaculate, squirting water out of its end during the climax of "Let's Go Crazy."

"All that said, it didn't seem like a sniggering little puppet show," adds Edwards. "I think it was one of those things because a guitar at waist level does look like an enormous phallus."

The 'Darling Nikki' days

By enlarging his shadow, it's possible Prince intended to accentuate this aspect of his solo, but it's just as likely it was accidental. (You can find videos of the halftime show at YouTube.com.) A message left with Prince's publicist Tuesday wasn't returned.

The late-night shows have taken notice. On CBS's "The Late Late Show" on Sunday night, host Craig Ferguson said of Prince: "He was obviously very happy to be there, wasn't he?"

Stephen Colbert reacted with mock outrage on Comedy Central's "The Colbert Report" Monday night: "They knew that they were dealing with a lustful, pansexual rock 'n' roll deviant," said Colbert, who joked that the sheet hid (not enhanced) Prince's "demonic guitar phallus."

In recent years, Prince has scaled down his performances, which were once renowned for their gymnastics. His mini-concert at the Colts-Bears game in Miami included parts of "Purple Rain," "Let's Go Crazy," "Baby I'm a Star," Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower," the Foo Fighters' "Best of You" and Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Proud Mary."

The Minnesota native has attracted controversy before. Tipper Gore launched a campaign to place a warning sticker on his 1984 album "Purple Rain" because of the lyrics to the song "Darling Nikki." Though his musical style has been expansive, he's best known for funky, sexually charged songs like "I Wanna Be Your Lover" and "Get Off," to offer two titles that can be repeated in a mainstream publication.

Prince's previously most talked-about performance came at the 1991 MTV Video Music Awards, where he donned yellow, butt-baring pants (a stunt later spoofed by Howard Stern). Always eccentric, he famously changed his name to The Artist Formerly Known as Prince, then to simply a symbol and finally back to Prince. He also became a Jehovah's Witness in the mid-'90s.

But Prince's halftime performance, though celebrated, came in a much different cultural environment, where even the fleeting outline of a man and his guitar could, for some, suggest shaded depravity.

"If people want to be hypersensitive, they can be hypersensitive," says Rolling Stone's Edwards. "Those trombones are phallic, too. What are you going to do?"

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Was Prince's Super performance too revealing?   Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:26 pm

You know... it was one thing when Justin Timberlake ripped off Janet Jacksons boob cover, and revealed her nipped. I can understand people being upset, because children are watching the Super Bowl too. But this?

I'm NOT, by any means, a fan of Prince's. But, since I was watching the Super Bowl, I watched half time. I thought that it sucked, personally. Didn't like it, at all. But, it was NOT sexual.

Illuminate

Number of posts : 1097
Where I am : In my vivid imagination
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Was Prince's Super performance too revealing?   Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:52 pm

I LOOOOVE LOOOVE LOOOOOOVE prince. always have. I loved his performance. But who the hell is making things like THIS up? I mean come on, get your mind out of the gutter sicko pervo. Did anyone else see it as sexual? I'm guessing not....pleeease.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Was Prince's Super performance too revealing?   Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:24 pm

I got that from cnn.com.

You know that there are going to be people who will look for ANYTHING to complain about, in a situation, to make a name for themselves, or to tear others apart, OR to forward their own f'n cause.

Whidden

Number of posts : 7017
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER

PostSubject: Re: Was Prince's Super performance too revealing?   Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:35 pm

Dinger shadows!!! The man made a dinger shadow!!!

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Was Prince's Super performance too revealing?   Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:36 pm

Oh, and you're jealous... because you're the KING of all Dingers, right? Razz

Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Was Prince's Super performance too revealing?   Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:52 pm

I feel no jeaously for his dinger shadow exibit. I don't really care for dingers! Cool

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

Number of posts : 9666
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Was Prince's Super performance too revealing?   Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:42 pm

Illuminate wrote:
I LOOOOVE LOOOVE LOOOOOOVE prince. always have. I loved his performance. But who the hell is making things like THIS up? I mean come on, get your mind out of the gutter sicko pervo. Did anyone else see it as sexual? I'm guessing not....pleeease.
You rock. I love Prince's music. I think the guy himself's a certified wack job, but maaaan he's awesome.

Watch "An Evening With Kevin Smith" for a good (30-minute) anecdote he has on Prince.

As for this... haven't seen it... didn't care about Janet's boob years ago, so I definitely don't care about this one.

Number of posts : 2298
Where I am : INSane Diego

PostSubject: Re: Was Prince's Super performance too revealing?   Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:38 pm

I love Prince's 80's stuff. He's a nut, but he always has been. I saw his half-time performance and went "hey his guitar looks like a dinger!" and laughed. I mean it was his guitar, he's had the guitar and it is his symbol, and since it was not an actual dinger, who cares! I mean if my kids had watched and thought it was a dinger, they would have laughed.

Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Was Prince's Super performance too revealing?   Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:38 pm

fuscia wrote:
I love Prince's 80's stuff. He's a nut, but he always has been. I saw his half-time performance and went "hey his guitar looks like a dinger!" and laughed. I mean it was his guitar, he's had the guitar and it is his symbol, and since it was not an actual dinger, who cares! I mean if my kids had watched and thought it was a dinger, they would have laughed.

If the Dinger Whisperer does not see a dinger where others see dingers, then it's time to hang up the poncho and head down the lonely trail of retirement. So, I'm glad that you saw what you saw, you are still on top of your game. Banana Dancing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Was Prince's Super performance too revealing?   Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:14 pm

Well, the day that Sherry can't spot a dinger, we're all in trouble! Wink

fuscia

PostSubject: Re: Was Prince's Super performance too revealing?   Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:56 pm

Whidden wrote:
fuscia wrote:

If the Dinger Whisperer does not see a dinger where others see dingers, then it's time to hang up the poncho and head down the lonely trail of retirement. So, I'm glad that you saw what you saw, you are still on top of your game. Banana Dancing

Dinger Whisperer? dang I had no idea I was getting that title. Don't tell my husband or he will take advantage of it. Laughing

Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Was Prince's Super performance too revealing?   Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:54 pm

I think that is a GREAT title for you, Sherry!! O Great Dinger Queen.

Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Was Prince's Super performance too revealing?   Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:52 pm

fuscia wrote:

Dinger Whisperer? dang I had no idea I was getting that title. Don't tell my husband or he will take advantage of it. Laughing

You gave yourself the title silly, on my Atomic Whidden myspace page. Remember? pirat

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fuscia

PostSubject: Re: Was Prince's Super performance too revealing?   Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:55 pm

Dang the memory really is the first thing to go.

Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Was Prince's Super performance too revealing?   Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:56 pm

And you know that he's going to remember such things!

fuscia

PostSubject: Re: Was Prince's Super performance too revealing?   Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:57 pm

Yeah well he needs ammo after the whole haguarter punder incident.

Hey Whidden it's going to rain.

Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Was Prince's Super performance too revealing?   Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:01 pm

Fuscia forgot all about dingers. Sad

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fuscia

PostSubject: Re: Was Prince's Super performance too revealing?   Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:03 pm

I did not forget about dingers! NEVER!!!!!!!!!! I just forgot about my dinger title. Hell I had an ex-boyfriend who was saying that there was no way a girl could tell how big a dinger was, so I said "Oh yes I can" so I showed him that it took only 1 innocent side move when he was hugging me to tell. I held up my hands and his eyes got really wide. I found out later that I was totally right, but I digress Embarassed

Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Was Prince's Super performance too revealing?   Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:06 pm

Embarassed

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Was Prince's Super performance too revealing?   Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:07 pm

LMAO And does Ron know about this "talent" of yours!?

fuscia

PostSubject: Re: Was Prince's Super performance too revealing?   Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:10 pm

Well I was totally wrong about Ron! My one error.

I am the dinger queen!

Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Was Prince's Super performance too revealing?   Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:12 pm

And he's the one dinger that you know better than any other! silent

fuscia

PostSubject: Re: Was Prince's Super performance too revealing?   Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:27 pm

Well my first guess was wrong.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Was Prince's Super performance too revealing?   

Back to top Go down

Was Prince's Super performance too revealing?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1