HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Hello there

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
coldmodesty

Number of posts : 48
Where I am : Virginia
Registration date : 2009-12-23

PostSubject: Hello there   Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:39 pm

Just thought I'ld introduce myself. Im into lots of stuff. Reading, drinking, writing, exploring, anima, video games, and whatever else I get hooked on. Currently Im excited about the Avatar movie. Love quiet brisk winter nights with clear skies like we have have had here in Virginia recently.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

Number of posts : 7053
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Hello there   Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:06 pm

What do you like to read?

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coldmodesty

PostSubject: Re: Hello there   Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:38 am

Well I've read about your home, the Dark Tower. I like a pretty wide variety, some of my favorites are a Wrinkle in Time, Chronicles of Narnia, Brave New World, Farenheit 451, Wuthering Heights, The Bell Jar, The Scarlet Letter, Salem's Lot, The Stand, The Green Mile, and The Foundation are a few. Yourself?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Hello there   Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:46 am

Lets see.

I started with the first 12 Oz books as a wee lad. Then I read a bunch of Nancy Drew. (didn't know any better, I was just a kid...)

Then the teacher brought A Wrinkle in Time sometime in middle school, and was reading it. I got that book at the used book store and it started my science fiction/supernatural kick.

Moved on to The Lord of the Rings stuff in high school.

The first real world non childish book I read was A Canticle for Leibowitz, which I read in tenth grade or so. I was still too young for it, it was too hard to read and the death of characters bothered me a lot, but it was just a work of pure genius. I still read it every 5 years or so.

In my late 20's I got into Stephen King via The Stand. Read all the Dark Tower stuff.

Also read most of Tom Clancy.

Read 1984 in my 30's, changed the way I look at life.

I also still read Science Fiction collections.

I read Wicked recently. Too much weird sex in it, but a good book despite that.

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Hello there   Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:48 am

As a matter of fact, I'm tired of my Shatner av, I'm doing back to Dark Tower for awhile...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dekka00

Number of posts : 1251
Where I am : Commonwealth of Virginia
Registration date : 2007-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Hello there   Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:44 pm

coldmodesty wrote:
Well I've read about your home, the Dark Tower. I like a pretty wide variety, some of my favorites are a Wrinkle in Time, Chronicles of Narnia, Brave New World, Farenheit 451, Wuthering Heights, The Bell Jar, The Scarlet Letter, Salem's Lot, The Stand, The Green Mile, and The Foundation are a few. Yourself?

all good books.

well, I haven't read Wuthering Heights, The Bell jar, The Scarlet Letter, or Salem's Lot, but I've been told that I should read them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coldmodesty

PostSubject: Re: Hello there   Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:59 pm

Yes 1984 is another very good one. Wicked is on my list but haven't gotten to it yet. Think I will have to add A Canticle for Leibowitz. Ever read Handmaid's Tale or A Clockwork Orange, other alternate society type books?

Dekka00 Wuthering Heights, The Bell Jar, and The Scarlet Letter are what I would describe as tales of madness, the human condition, drama at its best (in my personal opinion). If your into that, some others you would like are Streetcar Named Desire and A Hundred Years of Solitude.

We should just make this a suggested readings thread Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Hello there   Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:51 am

Wicked was real political and dark, not much like the movie or the play.

I found myself on the side of the Wicked Witch, lol.

I really liked most of it.

A Canticle for Leibowitz is science vs. religion, science married with religion, politics, war, and a supernatural Jew who seems to live forever.

I have read the wiki version of A clockwork Orange, and it looks like it might be pass my violence threshold. I know, I know, I read Stephen King, I should have no violence threshold, but I do get sqeamish. I think it might be that as shock jock as King gets, it's only for a page or two, then the story goes back to regular plot action.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Hello there   Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:56 am

I re-read your first post, it seems you like to drink as well as read.

I find this very interesting, as I drink as well. But I never read and drink, cause it's fun to do, but then I can't remember what I read later and have to read it over.

I prefer to drink and watch t.v.

I drink beer of course, but also drink cheap wine and cheap whiskey. Both taste so awful, I just go for the cheap stuff.

1. Corona
2. Heinekin
3. Pine and Post
4. Canadian Supreme
5. Kentucky Deluxe

Pine and Post is like 4 dollars a bottle on sale, and kinda dry.
Only wine I ever get.

The last two whiskeys are cheap and will probably make me blind, but whatever.

I rarely drink, maybe once a month or two, but when I do, I post all over the board and I let everyone know.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Schmiggens

Number of posts : 1397
Where I am : 'Straylia
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Hello there   Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:02 pm

Coronas are "cheap" beers over there? Over here its considered a fancy imported beer lol. It's what I drink out of choice, not with any consideration for price.

Whids I love that you say 1984 changed the way you look at life. Its amazing how many times something happens in the world and I think to myself "It's just like 1984". I haven't read any books in ages and ages, I got a few for Christmas, so need to start reading again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Hello there   Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:14 pm

@Schmiggens,

I worded that wrong, I should have said I try to drink good beer, but cheap whiskey and wine, as I like beer, but don't like the taste of whiskey or wine.

Both of those beers are imported here as well and cost more, but the cheap beer tastes just terrible.

Remember, I also salt my beer, like some 1920's speakeasy customer, or Florida hick. So, that costs me some salt money as well.

Double think is alive and well in my mind. I try to explain that to people, how you can believe multiple things at once, and they just don't get it. 1984 explained it so well, it's uncanny.

I see it all the time in the local news, the national news, politics, religion, at work. Double speak, and double think.

WE HAVE ALWAYS BELIEVED THIS AND THERE HAS BEEN NO CHANGE IN WHAT WE THINK OR BELIEVE OR HAVE DONE OR SAID is alive and well in the 2009 world.

What's strange is the boss at work can come out and say stuff like that in a meeting, but in an artful way, and I do actually believe him. It's beyond being gullible, it's doubting your memory of events enough that your mind actually allows you to think two totally separate lie/truths/events really happened.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
coldmodesty

PostSubject: Re: Hello there   Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:37 pm

I do like to drink and read but not at the same time. I usually drink then play video games or chat on the internet. I tend to like my dark beers and red wine. A Clockwork Orange definately has very disturbing imagery but I can't imagine anything more disturbing than Steven King's description of the baby getting hit by the truck in Pet Cemetary... that one tramatized me a bit I think.

This conversation makes me want to read 1984 again. I need more time in a day....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

Number of posts : 9672
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Hello there   Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:02 pm

Corona is nice with lemon, and it's considered a fancy imported beer here too.

Welcome, coldmodesty.

Number of posts : 1216
Where I am : san diego
Registration date : 2007-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Hello there   Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:55 am

Corona is cheap here in San Diego too. I like it ok, but if you go for the Mexican stuff try Pacifico .I much prefer it to Corona.

Tried some Sam Adams Cranberry somthing or other tonight. Kinda sweet but pretty good.

ps. Welcome, coldmodesty
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

Number of posts : 9672
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Hello there   Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:16 am

Cranberry something. That'd be AWESOME at Christmas time, yeah. Kick ass.

I had Cranberry Sauce with my turkey the other day. Washed it down with red and white wines though. If it was beer, I could have imagined it was one of those Sam Adams deals.

Number of posts : 1397
Where I am : 'Straylia
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Hello there   Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:57 am

Hey peeps, just saw we have a thread on 1984 here so we can discuss it some more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello there   

Back to top Go down

Hello there
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Inrejects :: Help and Feedback :: Introduce Yourself-
Jump to: