HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Energy Independence

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hibbert17

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-07-02

PostSubject: Energy Independence   Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:10 am

The growing energy needs of the world have led to a major shift towards renewable energy from non-renewable resources.

Last edited by Hibbert17 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

Number of posts : 9728
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Energy Independence   Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:27 am

And a bolt of lightning produces at least 1.21 GW!

But this is true, we do need to do a lot more in the way of investing in renewable energy. I just wish more governments would invest more, instead of protecting the oil industry. Bastards.

I just contributed my entire knowledge of the issue in that paragraph. Someone else talk.

Number of posts : 524
Where I am : Edinburgh where drink is cheap and women are cheaper
Registration date : 2007-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Energy Independence   Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:12 am

I think what we need is a mix of renewables and traditional sources of energy. I know the UK govt is looking at reneables and nuclear because they are the cleanest options ( in terms of emmsions) and they continue to look at the enviromental impact of so called clean coal. I do know that the devolved govt in Scotland reckon they are sitting on a potential goldmine with wave power.

Regardless of what everyone does with energy we need to do it quick because right now we are sucking the juice down like a fat kid near a vending machine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr. F

Number of posts : 1216
Where I am : san diego
Registration date : 2007-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Energy Independence   Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:38 pm

At the moment Im all for nuclear power. If done properly, it is safe, relatively clean, and comparitively economical to other current energy sources.

That being said, there may be other, better ways of providing power. I think one of the big mistakes that the powers that be are making is focusing on that one huge source of power that can supply a million people, instead of ten thousand small sources of power for the same region.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

Number of posts : 9728
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Energy Independence   Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:07 pm

The nuclear power plant in Taiwan is apparently riddled with trash (in the cooling pool. I'm not sure what the scientific name is, but in the water than cools the bloody thing down). They hired a company to clean it (from the US), and when it took so bloody long they got the shits and didn't pay the company. Then the company basically came out and said people were just throwing rubbish in there, it was the most disgusting thing they'd ever seen.

It's like when you feel some people shouldn't be allowed to have kids... some people just shouldn't have nuclear power plants...

Number of posts : 1216
Where I am : san diego
Registration date : 2007-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Energy Independence   Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:35 am

The Russians arent much better. There are a dozen or so plants built on the same blueprint as Cherynoble still running today. All with the containment capability and structural integrity of the shed I built in my back yard
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Energy Independence   Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:11 am

These lesser equipped countries wanted to keep up with the Jonses', but by the time we realized nuke power was not really worth it, their crappy reactors were online.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Schmiggens MKII

Number of posts : 438
Where I am : @ Work
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Energy Independence   Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:31 am

But Nuclear Power works really well in other European countries like France. They have never had even a minor accident, as far as I am aware and I think they have relatively low energy costs compared to most western countries.

BUT, nuclear power isn't the best method, there has to be something better. I am pretty sure eventually we won't have any of the energy sources that we use currently, there will be some new totally renewable fandangled fancy pants thing that some nerd Uni student thinks of and makes a killing.
Damn him (or her).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Energy Independence   

Back to top Go down

Energy Independence
Page 1 of 1