HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Acne remedies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pippin

Number of posts : 727
Where I am : Washington
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Acne remedies   Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:22 pm

I have adult acne and fully expect to keep fighting it my whole life, since it runs in the family. I also have very sensitive skin and have to choose my remedies carefully to avoid an itchy and blotchy face on top of the acne problem. I've spent a fair amount of time over the years researching remedies and trying things out, so I figure that it might help someone else who is looking for remedies if I share some of the things that have worked for me.

As a side note, my trouble with acne is almost exclusively with cystic acne. I don't know if these remedies work with regular white or black heads. I'd assume that they'd work just fine, maybe better.

Squeeze a fresh lemon (or half lemon) into hot water and drink that every morning. Drink it any time of day, really, but I think it's good to start the day with it rather than end the day with it because it also gets the digestive system in motion. The hotter the water the better.

Exfoliate with baking soda.

Pick your facial moisturizer carefully. I've found these to be good at not causing acne: CeraVe, Hemp, Kiss My Face.

Rub the inside of a banana peel on your face and leave it on overnight. This one can work wonders for reducing old scars. A greener banana works better than a ripe or overripe one. I had great success with this at first but then my face adjusted and it doesn't work that well any more Sad

Don't exfoliate every day. That includes rubbing your face dry after washing it -- just pat it dry.

Wash your face every day. Especially before bed, so your pores don't spend the night breathing in the dirt and pollutants and whatever else is on your face from the day. This also is a good idea if you have allergies.

Dab some toothpaste on a zit. It will help reduce inflammation and bring the pus to the surface.

Cut back on refined sugar. Pick less sugary cereals, try to limit the sugar snacks. I've started using molasses in my oatmeal instead of brown sugar and seen a big difference. This one is more difficult for if you have a sweet tooth, but it's helpful for if you need to clear up your face for a license picture or the prom or something else short-term.

Flax seeds and black sesame seeds are good for the skin and can be easily mixed in to oatmeal, bread and salads.

Drink tons of water.

Vitamin E rubbed onto the face (wash your fingers first) helps reduce the appearance of scars, but be sparing with it because it can also clog pores.

I will add more things as I remember them or try something else that works. The lemon water and the baking soda have done an amazing job on their own of reducing my acne, but it's still there on a smaller scale. I'm looking for things to help reduce old scarring as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pippin

PostSubject: Re: Acne remedies   Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:25 pm

As far as chemical remedies go, I've had luck with AcneFree, which I've heard is like Proactive.

Cold cream (any brand) does a good job of removing make-up and dirt from your face before you wash it. I just use regular tissues to wipe off the cold cream, since water won't remove it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

Number of posts : 9666
Where I am : 台北市

PostSubject: Re: Acne remedies   Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:26 pm

I had bad acne as a teenager. Barely a trace of it now. I tried a bunch of stuff but nothing really helped (never tried changing my diet, I guess).

Anyway, my cousin had some cream. She had bad acne well into her 20s, so a dermatologist prescribed her this cream. She gave me the left over.

It burnt like a bitch, but worked well. I still got acne a bit though, nowhere near as bad.

Got pretty serious sunburn a few years later and that took care of the rest of it.

PostSubject: Re: Acne remedies   Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:31 pm

The sunburn took care of the acne? Hmmmm...

No, I shouldn't. I'm a wuss and can't handle a sunburn very well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Acne remedies   Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:34 pm

Yeah, I had 1st and second degree burns. I wouldn't recommend it.

Stupid expired sun screen.

I have no evidence this worked. But once my face peeled, there was no more acne.

Number of posts : 2298
Where I am : INSane Diego

PostSubject: Re: Acne remedies   Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:30 pm

I have adult acne too. I have polycystic ovaries and it goes along with that and my weight gain. Acnefree works really well. I've tried proactive, but I like the severe Ancefree's overnight creme the best. Tea tree oil works well for white heads, or so my nephews swear. My son has acne really bad now, and he is on antibiotics and meds. Hopefully this too shall pass.

Pippin

PostSubject: Re: Acne remedies   Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:30 pm

I heard on the radio some foods that are good for acne: beets, red cabbage, lemons.

I've also been eating a bunch of blueberries lately and even though they don't clear up acne, they do give the skin a nice healthy coloring.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pippin

PostSubject: Re: Acne remedies   Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:42 pm

Fresh aloe vera gel straight from the plant (doesn't work as well with the bottled stuff) does wonders to reduce inflammation and heal the broken skin of a popped zit. Just cut off a piece of the plant, split it open so that you get the jelly insides, and rub it on your face. It will dry out your face big time, though, so be sure to moisturize after the gel has been absorbed into your skin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pippin

PostSubject: Re: Acne remedies   Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:40 pm

I've had some good luck with olive oil as a moisturizer at night to help heal acne scars.

Witch hazel as a toner in the morning has been helpful to cut down on shine on my face during the day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pippin

PostSubject: Re: Acne remedies   Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:41 pm

Well, I tried something new and it has had wonderful results.

I wanted to know if certain foods that I eat all the time were given me acne, so for two whole weeks I did not eat:
Peanuts
Fish
Wheat
Corn
Milk (so no chocolate or yogurt either)
Egg
Soy

I also cut back on alcohol and granulated sugar

My skin looked GREAT and I felt really good. After two weeks of nothing but fruits, vegetables, meat, rice and oats I started to add back the list one thing each week. I found that wheat gives me zits unless it's mixed with protein, so I switched to rice-based cereal and make sure to pair my toast with scrambled eggs. I also found that milk gives me zits, so I switched to almond milk, but I don't have the acne reaction from yogurt or from cooking with milk.

This cleansing diet experiment takes a lot of self-control, but it will reveal to you what -- if any -- foods are giving you acne.

Since making the change to eating Rice Crispies in almond milk for breakfast, I have had almost no problem with acne.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

Number of posts : 7017
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Acne remedies   Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:42 pm

I gave up a long time ago.

Pimple and blackheads and crap. I'm freggin 47 now. Still got em.

Sucks.

But I don't care about it for a long time now...

I'm a dude, I don't care about skin and wrinkles and zits....

Still, it's crappy when I look in the mirror and see all the horror of it!!!!!!

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pippin

PostSubject: Re: Acne remedies   Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:13 pm

Never give up. Never surrender.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Acne remedies   Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:32 pm

I now recommend crisps, soda, and late-night re-runs of Seinfeld. That'll clear it up.

PostSubject: Re: Acne remedies   

Back to top Go down

Acne remedies
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1