HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Disney buys Fox

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
White Tiger

Number of posts : 574
Where I am : Portsmouth, Hampshire
Registration date : 2007-11-20

PostSubject: Disney buys Fox   Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:02 pm

The Disney Company have continued their crusade to own everything under the sun by buying a controlling stage in Rupert Murdoch's 21st Century Fox: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42353545

What this means for comic books fans is that Disney owns or has access to almost every single major Marvel Comic Book character ever created. They outright own the Avengers, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, the Inhumans, the Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange, Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Blade, and Iron Fist and Luke Cage, and the Punisher. They have a deal with Universal which lets them use the Hulk and a deal with Sony to use Spiderman.

The only major Marvel characters that Disney do not currenly have access to are She Hulk, Doc Oc, Green Goblin, Venom and a lot of Spiderman's supporting cast or enemies, and, possibly, Namor.

The big crossover Secret Wars could happen after all!

I hope if they do go make X-Men some films they keep with the McAvoy and Fassbender Xavier/Magneto continuity.

Last edited by White Tiger on Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

Number of posts : 7093
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:12 pm

This is excellent for comic book movies fans like me.

This bad news for Fox News fans like me. Disney will turn Fox news into an ABC news clone.

I guess us conservatives will have to go back to talk radio. So long t.v. news.

Well, it was good while it lasted.

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
White Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:34 pm

Whidden wrote:
This is excellent for comic book movies fans like me.

This bad news for Fox News fans like me. Disney will turn Fox news into an ABC news clone.

I guess us conservatives will have to go back to talk radio. So long t.v. news.

Well, it was good while it lasted.

Fox News isn't part of the deal. Murdoch's keeping control of that. Disney has bought out Fox's stake in Sky TV in Europe, Fox's Movie Studio and Intellectual Properties, Fox's stake in Hulu and some cable TV channels, but Murdoch and his empire will remain responsible for the News Channel in a new kind of spin off company: https://www.ft.com/content/7ecc5eb2-e0c0-11e7-a8a4-0a1e63a52f9c

I'm just exited about the potential for superhero films and programmes and cartoons and comics now.

Hopefully the McAvoy/Fassbender X-men continuity can be brought into the MCU somehow - through the Secret Wars would be as good a way as any - and maybe we can finally get a good Fantastic Four film with them joining the MCU as well.

Maybe they'll make new X-Men or Fantastic Four cartoons for the Disney Channels like they have for the Avengers, and Hulk and Spiderman and the Guardians of the Galaxy or maybe a live-action programme could be a possibility.

But most of all I hope the make good with this and dont make a mess of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
White Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:38 pm

As a side note, buying Fox also gives Disney the rights for a live action version of Dragon Ball: http://comicbook.com/anime/2017/12/14/disney-fox-acquisition-dragon-ball-anime-live-action-rights/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pippin

Number of posts : 803
Where I am : Washington
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Yesterday at 8:07 am

I like comic book movies, and they seem to be the hot item right now, with good actors and good writers trying to make the movies kick some butt. I like the McAvoy/Fassbender pairing for Xavier/Magneto. Especially Fassbender I love you

I can't read the article without a subscription. I really hope that it's like you said, White Tiger, about the news network not being impacted. I don't watch Fox News (I'm more of a talk radio person, and when I watch tv it's strictly for smut), but I want it to stick around to be a conservative option for tv news-watchin' folks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pippin

Number of posts : 803
Where I am : Washington
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Yesterday at 8:13 am

Wasn't there already a live action Dragonball movie and it tanked?

There was: Dragonball Evolution and it sucked eggs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
White Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Yesterday at 4:44 pm

Pippin wrote:
Wasn't there already a live action Dragonball movie and it tanked?

There was: Dragonball Evolution and it sucked eggs.

I think Fox made that film just so their production rights didn't expire. Dragonball Evolution is notoriously one of the worst film adaptations ever made. It bears not even a passing resemblance to it's source material and everything in it is wrong. But that doesn't mean a good live-action version couldn't be made with somebody who cared more about the franchise and tried to be faithful. Honestly, I think a live-action Dragonball would be better as a series rather than film.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
White Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   Yesterday at 4:49 pm

Pippin wrote:
I like comic book movies, and they seem to be the hot item right now, with good actors and good writers trying to make the movies kick some butt. I like the McAvoy/Fassbender pairing for Xavier/Magneto. Especially Fassbender †I love you

I can't read the article without a subscription. I really hope that it's like you said, White Tiger, about the news network not being impacted. I don't watch Fox News (I'm more of a talk radio person, and when I watch tv it's strictly for smut), but I want it to stick around to be a conservative option for tv news-watchin' folks.

Here's a different website you dont have to subscribe to read: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/dec/14/disney-fox-deal-what-it-means-for-the-murdochs-and-their-media-empire

Following the deal to sell 21st Century Fox and most of its assets, Rupert Murdoch will retain ownership of Fox News, the divisionís biggest profit driver, as well as Fox Sports, Fox Business and its broadcast TV network of 28 local television stations in the US.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disney buys Fox   

Back to top Go down

Disney buys Fox
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1