HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Tipping

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pippin

Number of posts : 857
Where I am : Washington
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Tipping   Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:34 pm

Tipping has long been the standard in the United States when it comes to waiters and bartenders, but lately I've noticed that many other service industry workers ask for tips. There was a tip jar by the cash register for a serve-yourself restaurant, and another one at the pick-up-your-take-out counter at another restaurant. I've heard that barbers ask for tips, and I was yelled at once by a cab driver when I didn't tip enough.

How do you all feel about tipping? If you tip, who do you tip? Is there a percentage that you feel should be standard?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pippin

PostSubject: Re: Tipping   Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:52 pm

Here is how I feel: my baseline is to not tip. If the service worker just does their job without anything extra, I don't tip. I don't tip busboys, elevator people, barbers unless I love my haircut, whatever you call the people who bring out your takeout food, or my massage therapist unless she makes me so relaxed that I fall asleep. I want to add cab drivers to that list but the only time I've taken a cab was in New York, and those cabbies scared me. If the service worker does more than the minimum and does a good job, I do tip. I'll usually find ten percent and round up to the nearest dollar.

I went to lunch with a waitress friend of mine and she was on a rant about how the standard tip amount was 20% and she was angry at only getting a 10% tip. I don't want anyone to tell me what I am supposed to tip. The tip depends on the performance of the person receiving the tip, so people who rock and people who suck will make different amounts in tips. There's not a standard -- it's a reward based on merit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pippin

PostSubject: Re: Tipping   Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:55 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pippin

PostSubject: Re: Tipping   Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:00 pm

I should add that I used to work in the service industry, both in a job that is normally tipped (hotel maid) and one that is not normally tipped (convenience store).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

Number of posts : 9726
Where I am : 台北市

PostSubject: Re: Tipping   Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:55 pm

I like the service you get in the US and I think a big part of that is because waiters and waitresses are trying to get tips. I don't get the culture myself, but it does at least help improve their attitude to their jobs... usually.

I think in a case where someone complains about a 10% tip you were right not to give them 20%. In those instances the correct response would be to say you couldn't tip 20% but at least now you don't feel bad about it.

PostSubject: Re: Tipping   

Back to top Go down

Tipping
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Inrejects :: News and Hot Topics :: Culture & Society-
Jump to: