HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Giuliani confirms he's running in 08.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Illuminate

Number of posts : 1097
Where I am : In my vivid imagination
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Giuliani confirms he's running in 08.   Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:52 pm

Giuliani confirms hes running in 2008

Former NYC mayor, a moderate Republican, joins pool of contenders

MSNBC staff and news service reports
Updated: 5:09 a.m. PT Feb 15, 2007

function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) {
var n = document.getElementById("udtD");
if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) {
var dt = new DateTime();
pdt = dt.T2D(pdt);
if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,((''.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));}
}
}
UpdateTimeStamp('633071417417530000');

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, a moderate Republican best known for his post-Sept. 11 leadership over his city, confirmed Wednesday his intentions to run for president in the 2008 elections.

Giuliani made the announcement during an appearance on CNN's "Larry King Live." He had filed a statement of candidacy earlier this month with the Federal Election Commission and filed paperwork for an exploratory committee in November.

"Yes, I'm running," Giuliani told King. "I think I can make a difference. I believe this country needs leadership."

Giuliani enters a crowded field of potential GOP hopefuls that includes Arizona Sen. John McCain, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback.

Later in the show, King asked Giuliani, "Would you like to run against (Sen.) Hillary (Clinton)?"

"I'd like to run against anybody the Democrats nominated," Giuliani said. "If it's Hillary, God bless her. If it's (Sen. Barack) Obama, terrific. If it's (John) Edwards, I hope I haven't left somebody out, but I think those are the three top ones."

Giuliani was widely praised for leading New York during and after the terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. The former mayor is a moderate who supports gun control and abortion rights, stands that would put him at odds with the majority of the conservative GOP base.

It was difficult to determine whether the CNN appearance qualified as an official announcement of his candidacy.

During a news conference Saturday after a speech in Sacramento, Calif., Giuliani was asked, "Are you in this for good?"

"Yes, I am committed," he said. "This is something I believe I can bring something to, from the experiences that I've had."

When asked a follow-up question about when he would make a formal announcement, he responded, "Well, formally announce? I don't know. If you go back to my speech, I think I may have. I'm not sure."

He then alluded to making an announcement in multiple locations "so we get more attention" but provided no details.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Illuminate

PostSubject: Re: Giuliani confirms he's running in 08.   Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:01 pm

uh oh, this puts me in a pickle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Giuliani confirms he's running in 08.   Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:50 pm

Well, let's see where Mr. Giuliani stands on the issues...

Abortion: says he hates it but supports the right to choose (see Supreme Court nom's below)

Gun Control: for it

Gay marriage: against, was also against gay partners getting benefits

Supreme court nominations: said he would nominate judges just like Alito and Roberts... a.k.a. right wing conservatives (bye, bye Roe v. Wade)

Stem cell research: for it

Immigration: wants the big Cali border and says immigrants should be able to read and write English

-------

I like some of his stances but he's just too far right on some big issues. Sorry Rudy, no vote for you.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Illuminate

PostSubject: Re: Giuliani confirms he's running in 08.   Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:00 pm

what happened to "a moderate republican?"

Hmmm, I don't like someof what he stands for... looks like the debates are gonna be REALLY interesting this time around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Giuliani confirms he's running in 08.   Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:00 pm

He'll spin it all until he's in the House. Don't be fooled. All you need to know about where they're going is where they've been. Fundamental beliefs don't change.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Illuminate

PostSubject: Re: Giuliani confirms he's running in 08.   Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:03 pm

I didn't say the debates will tell all, i said they'll be INTERESTING. thassss allllll.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Giuliani confirms he's running in 08.   Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:14 pm

They by and large suck. All a bunch of lip service and applause breaks.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Illuminate

PostSubject: Re: Giuliani confirms he's running in 08.   Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:16 pm

YOU'RE a bunch of lip service... and... applause... bre...

i'm done :woops:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Inner City Blues

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2007-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Giuliani confirms he's running in 08.   Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:33 pm

There is no such thing as a moderate Republican anymore, not if they want to win. Giuliani will bend over on issues that made him moderate just to win the nomination, but I don't see how he can win, the reason he lost to Hillary Clinton (he dropped out early so he wouldn't lose) was due to his marital infidelity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Giuliani confirms he's running in 08.   

Back to top Go down

Giuliani confirms he's running in 08.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1