HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
gaboman

Number of posts : 9666
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: 1408   Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:50 am

Based on a Stephen King short-story.

Looks creepy enough, and I like John Cusack.

http://www.blairwitch.de/index.php?seitenid=23&trailerid=220

Seems to come out July 3, 2007.

Number of posts : 7045
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: 1408   Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:18 pm

That looks really awesome.

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: 1408   Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:27 pm

Totally freaky-deaky, aye?

I'll be seeing it. A lot of ghost movies bore the hell out of me, but I'm sure this one will be good. Like I said, Cusack is awesome.

PostSubject: Re: 1408   Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:30 pm

Yeah, I'm a big Cusack fan.

I'm sure I own this story somewhere, but never read it. I wonder what collections it's in. I got the collection books like Every Things Eventual, and Different Seasons.

I don't know, I plan on seeing the movie, maybe I should skip the book.

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: 1408   Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:31 pm

When he was waving to himself in the other window, and the other self got whacked, that freaked me out.

And when he was online and his girlfriend said the cops WERE in room 1408, that was even worse!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: 1408   Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:33 pm

Definitely wasn't Different Seasons, that only had 4 stories in it.

I looked it up. It's in Everything's Eventual. I don't have that one. I might try and find it now. I only have Different Seasons, Four Past Midnight and Skeleton Crew (out of all his short story collections)

PostSubject: Re: 1408   Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:56 pm

I looked 1408 up on wikipedia, and I read a run down of the story. Seems like a good one.

PostSubject: Re: 1408   Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:17 pm

yeah, I got the Everythings Eventual, which the title story has a character that shows up in Dark Tower 7.

Also, it has the short story Little Sisters of Elurlia, which is about Roland and some vampries he met up with before the Dark Tower series. (a prequel)

I only read those two in the book and skipped the rest. I'll give 1408 a go here soon.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: 1408   Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:16 am

I skip a lot of his short stories in these books too. I remember in Skeleton Crew I skipped one called Mist... I didn't exactly skip it, but I read through almost half of it and just thought bugger this... It wasn't terrible, guy goes to the shops and hides with a bunch of people while the mist engulfs the town and there's some sort of octupus things out inside the mist... the story seemed to go on and on though, so I gave up.

I might get Everything's Eventual tonight, if I can't find anything else in the book store.

PostSubject: Re: 1408   Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:38 pm

I loved The Little Sister of Eluria, as it's a Dark Tower prequel.

The title story, Everythings Eventual was o.k. I don't remember hating it, but I felt no urge to read it again. The kid/teenager in it has powers to kill people from afar. I found the story interesting, but the kid wasn't my ideal protagonist.

Real rebel type. He winds up in Dark Tower Seven in a small part. I didn't really care for him there either.

In Dark Tower Seven, there is a town out in the middle of nowhere, where they live and try to break the "beam", which shoots off from the tower and holds up creation.

The kid from Everythings Eventual lives there, and the old Guy from Hearts In Atlantis, and a retarded kid from Dark Tower 4. Among hundreds of others who try to break the beam.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: 1408   Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:20 pm

Why would they want to bring down creation?

I couldn't even find Everything's Eventual last night. Left the book store empty handed, which is something I just can't fathom. I almost got a Ludlum book, but reconsidered when I realized I wasn't that desperate for something to read.

PostSubject: Re: 1408   Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:28 pm

The Dark Tower makes it possible for an infinity of universes to exist. 6 beams come off it, that hold up creation.

The bad guys want to take out the beams, and topple the tower, and destroy everything. Bring death and nothingness to every universe. To cease existence everytime/everywhere, except for a boundless ruleless darkness called Todash space, where elemental demons live. But I'm not even sure if that would exist.

They simply are full of hate and want to suicide the universes I guess.

The actual people who break the beams are more or less prisoners, but they enjoy doing it, it makes them high, like with a drug. They also have holodecks, and are treated well.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: 1408   Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:31 pm

Stephen King should write Jack Bauer into the Dark Tower universe. He'd save everybody and everything.

But, then I guess there'd be no need for the gunslinger....

PostSubject: Re: 1408   Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:37 pm

I think he would fit in pretty good. Not to go too far off topic, but I seen a movie with him in it today, looked real old, like early 90's, and he was chasing Lebowski (jeff bridges), who was a phycopath killer. Lebowski buried Jack alive, but the second female lead from Becker, the red head, showed up and kicked Lebowskis' ass, and saved Jack.

She dug him up, and Jack took an ax to Lebowski's head. Really brutal. But even back then, Keifer Sutherland was good with an ax. Came in handy when his daughters boyfriend had a timer on his arm that needed removing.

Poor old Chase.

But yeah, Keifer would fit in the Dark Tower series rather nicely.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: 1408   Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 pm

I just spent some time over at Darktower.net and they say over there that 1408 elements are mentioned in the 7th Dark Tower book.

But I don't know what that would be. Having never read 1408, I must have missed the reference while reading DT7.

I'm gonna go read it now, see what I think of it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: 1408   Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:03 am

Seems like you need to have read all of his books to really appreciate The Dark Tower.

PostSubject: Re: 1408   Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:47 pm

Kinda. A bit. I'm a little obsessed with them. Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: 1408   Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:23 pm

I just now found my copy of the book, starting on the 1408 story right now. Gonna watch the trailer again to help set the mood.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: 1408   Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:28 pm

Awesome. I went out looking for the book in bookshops back when we were talking about it in this thread.

Then I forgot about it and haven't tried to find it since. I was kind of miffed that they had 10 copies of Dolores Claiborne, but no copies of Everything's Eventual. Nuts to that.

PostSubject: Re: 1408   Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:31 pm

I had lost mine, and had the idea I would buy a new one, but I was searching for a Starcraft CD and came across the book today.

Glad I rechecked this thread and the trailer, as I thought it was Depp doing the lead, but that was in the Secret Window/Secret Garden movie.

This 1408 has Cusak. Awesome. And I forgot that Sam Jackson is the hotel dude. So now I can read the book and put some faces on the characters....

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: 1408   Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:34 pm

I remember reading the hotel dude is like in the book for like 2 pages... but they can extend that for the movie I guess.

Hey, Whid, check out my bookclub thread in the Stephen King forum.

Number of posts : 4023
Where I am : North Carolina

PostSubject: Re: 1408   Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:51 pm

ooo that looks good.

I have everything's eventual. I'm gonna have to read this one. I've read a few storie from the books, pretty good, so I'll give it a go.

Number of posts : 4023
Where I am : North Carolina

PostSubject: Re: 1408   Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:54 pm

Whidden wrote:
I had lost mine, and had the idea I would buy a new one, but I was searching for a Starcraft CD and came across the book today.

Glad I rechecked this thread and the trailer, as I thought it was Depp doing the lead, but that was in the Secret Window/Secret Garden movie.

This 1408 has Cusak. Awesome. And I forgot that Sam Jackson is the hotel dude. So now I can read the book and put some faces on the characters....

I like putting faces to the characters. I saw the trailor for the first harry potter movie before I read the books. Helped make the books more fun to have a face to relate the story to.

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end

PostSubject: Re: 1408   Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:25 pm

If I see that a movie is based on a Stephen King story I stay away. With a few notable exceptions, movies or mini-series based on King's work are total shit.

I try to come up with my own faces when reading books. If I see an actor portraying them I get their face, hear their voice, mannerisms, etc. But that gets in the way of what the author intended in some ways. The person who writes the screenplay based on the novel takes some creative license, then the actor interprets the character differently too, then the director has his say, and by the time it hits the screen the character could be drastically different.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: 1408   Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:51 pm

Nymphadora wrote:

I like putting faces to the characters. I saw the trailor for the first harry potter movie before I read the books. Helped make the books more fun to have a face to relate the story to.

It worked at first, I kept seeing Cusak, but after a bit, it faded and just turned into generic book dude.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1408   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Inrejects :: Arts and Entertainment :: Movies :: Horror-
Jump to: