HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lawless

Number of posts : 4788
Where I am : SUN Diego
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths   Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:57 am

POSTED: 9:53 a.m. EDT, March 17, 2007

Story Highlights

Recall of wet pet food made by Menu Foods for Wal-Mart, Kroger, PetsMart, others
Undisclosed number of cats and dogs suffered vomiting, kidney failure; 10 died
Recall affects specific sizes of Iams and Eukanuba brands of dog, cat food
See lists of recalled brands at bottom of story

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A major manufacturer of dog and cat food sold under Wal-Mart, Safeway, Kroger and other store brands recalled 60 million containers of wet pet food Friday after reports of kidney failure and deaths.

An unknown number of cats and dogs suffered kidney failure and about 10 died after eating the affected pet food, Menu Foods said in announcing the North American recall. Product testing has not revealed a link explaining the reported cases of illness and death, the company said.
"At this juncture, we're not 100 percent sure what's happened," said Paul Henderson, the company's president and chief executive officer. However, the recalled products were made using wheat gluten purchased from a new supplier, since dropped for another source, spokeswoman Sarah Tuite said. Wheat gluten is a source of protein.

'Cuts and gravy' food sold in cans, pouches recalled

The recall covers the company's "cuts and gravy" style food, which consists of chunks of meat in gravy, sold in cans and small foil pouches between December 3 and March 6 throughout the United States, Canada and Mexico.

The pet food was sold by stores operated by the Kroger Co., Safeway Inc., Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and PetSmart Inc., among others, Henderson said.

Menu Foods said it makes pet foods for 17 of the top 20 North American retailers. It is also a contract manufacturer for the top branded pet food companies, including Procter & Gamble Co.

Proctor & Gamble announced Friday the recall of specific 3 oz., 5.5 oz., 6 oz. and 13.2 oz. canned and 3 oz. and 5.3 oz. foil pouch cat and dog wet food products made by Menu Foods but sold under the Iams and Eukanuba brands. The recalled products bear the code dates of 6339 through 7073 followed by the plant code 4197, P&G said.

Menu Foods' three U.S. and one Canadian factory produce more than 1 billion containers of wet pet food a year. The recall covers pet food made at company plants in Emporia, Kansas, and Pennsauken, New Jersey, Henderson said.

Henderson said the company received an undisclosed number of owner complaints of vomiting and kidney failure in dogs and cats after they had been fed its products. It has tested its products but not found a cause for the sickness.

"To date, the tests have not indicated any problems with the product," Henderson said.

FDA also working to target brands

The company alerted the Food and Drug Administration, which already has inspectors in one of the two plants, Henderson said. The FDA was working to nail down brand names covered by the recall, agency spokesman Mike Herndon said.

Menu Foods is majority-owned by the Menu Foods Income Fund, based in Ontario, Canada.

Henderson said the recall would cost the company the Canadian equivalent of $26 million to $34 million.

Below are lists of specific brands recalled by Menu Foods, in addition to Proctor & Gamble's recall of certain Iams and Eukanuba products. Menu Brands lists the brands on its Web site, www.menufoods.com, and advises consumers to call 1-866-895-2708 for more information.

Recalled cat foods

Americas Choice; Preferred Pets; Authority; Best Choice; Companion; Compliments; Demoulas Market Basket; Fine Feline Cat, Shep Dog; Food Lion; Foodtown; Giant Companion; Good n Meaty; Hannaford; Hill Country Fare; Hy-Vee; Key Food; Laura Lynn; Li'l Red; Loving Meals; Main Choice; Nutriplan; Nutro Max Gourmet Classics; Nutro Natural Choice; Paws; Presidents Choice; Price Chopper; Priority; Save-A-Lot; Schnucks; Sophistacat; Special Kitty; Springfield Pride; Sprout; Total Pet; My True Friend; Wegmans; Western Family; White Rose; and Winn Dixie.

Recalled dog foods

America's Choice; Preferred Pets; Authority; Award; Best Choice; Big Bet; Big Red; Bloom; Bruiser; Cadillac; Companion; Demoulas Market Basket; Fine Feline Cat; Shep Dog; Food Lion; Giant Companion; Great Choice; Hannaford; Hill Country Fare; Hy-Vee; Key Food; Laura Lynn; Loving Meals; Main Choice; Mixables; Nutriplan; Nutro Max; Nutro Natural Choice; Nutro; Ol'Roy; Paws; Pet Essentials; Pet Pride; President's Choice; Price Chopper; Priority; Publix; Roche Bros; Save-A-Lot; Schnucks; Springsfield Pride; Sprout; Stater Bros; Total Pet; My True Friend; Western Family; White Rose; Winn Dixie and Your Pet.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Whidden

Number of posts : 7042
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER

PostSubject: Re: Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths   Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:24 am

We use Iams, Meow Mix, and Mighty Dog. I don't see those on the list thank goodness.

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths   Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:03 pm

Lawless wrote:
Recall affects specific sizes of Iams and Eukanuba brands of dog, cat food

Proctor & Gamble announced Friday the recall of specific 3 oz., 5.5 oz., 6 oz. and 13.2 oz. canned and 3 oz. and 5.3 oz. foil pouch cat and dog wet food products made by Menu Foods but sold under the Iams and Eukanuba brands. The recalled products bear the code dates of 6339 through 7073 followed by the plant code 4197, P&G said.

Dave, didn't you see this in the article? Iams IS on the list.

Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths   Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:21 pm

Oh, I looked at the list on the bottom, the ones that got recalled.

Well, crap. They been eating Iams all week.

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths   Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:23 pm

Quote :

I think were safe. The Iams we have is dry food. The mighty dog is the canned food.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths   Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:27 pm

I went to the recall website and read some more. From what I could tell, it's only wet style food that is being recalled. Either in a can or pouch. The dry seems to be safe.

So, I think were good. Hope so!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths   Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:30 pm

Good to hear. We have several cans of Special Kitty, at my house. Shannon informed me of this, this morning. So, if either of my girls get sick, there is going to be hell to pay.

gaboman

Number of posts : 9666
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths   Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:55 pm

So sad.

I've got the wife checking our cat food. We just bought Iams, but I don't know if it's this stuff. Like Whidden, we got the dry ones. Our wet cat food is something else.

PostSubject: Re: Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths   Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:58 pm

Tainted pet food poisoned 1 in 6 animals in test: FDA

Pet owners in Toronto and Alberta say their cats died

Last Updated: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 | 11:08 AM MT

CBC News

As many as one in six animals died in tests of Ontario-based Menu brand pet foods suspected of poisoning pets in the United States, a U.S. government official has said.
Menu Foods has now issued a North America-wide recall of 91 different kinds of dog and cat food, after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration received complaints the food was causing kidney failure in animals.
The investigation is focusing on wheat gluten used at two U.S. plants as the likely source of contamination.
The FDA first learned of a potential problem after receiving complaints on Feb. 20 and followed up by feeding the "cuts and gravy" product to 40 to 50 cats. Of those, seven animals died, said Stephen Sundlof, the FDA's top veterinarian. He added the contamination appeared more deadly to cats than to dogs.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths   Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:59 pm

Bastards. Lets see if this stuff kills cats by FEEDING IT TO CATS. ***holes.

These are strays, so it don't matter. I just don't get it. I'm more than a little angry about this. Where is the damn logic in this story?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

Number of posts : 9666
Where I am : 台北市

PostSubject: Re: Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths   Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:30 pm

Man oh man... that's just despicable.

Number of posts : 755
Where I am : Washington

PostSubject: Re: Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths   Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:28 pm

We've got Iams before, but thank god it is the dry stuff. I'm going to check all our special-occassion wet food tonight. This is so so sad, and this about testing possibly deadly food on cats to see what happens is just sick!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths   Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:30 am

That really pisses me off. How about we strap these fuckers down, and spoon feed that cat food to them, and see how many of them die?! Evil or Very Mad

Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths   Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:30 pm

Hard to believe the government is stupid enough to admit to doing that. What a bunch of cornholes. :grumpy: :irked: :soapbox:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end

PostSubject: Re: Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths   Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:37 pm

I like people better than animals.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fuscia

Number of posts : 2298
Where I am : INSane Diego

PostSubject: Re: Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths   Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:32 pm

The title of the thread starts with "Popular dog,cat" when I see it from the main page. EVERY time I want to know what my cat's first name is!

I'm really sorry that this horrible thing has happened to so many pets.

HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths   Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:38 pm

Maybe some of the pets were evil.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths   Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:25 pm

Rat Poison Found in Tainted Pet Food

Friday March 23, 2007 11:46 PM

By MARK JOHNSON
Associated Press Writer
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - Rat poison was found in pet food blamed for the deaths of at least 17 cats and dogs, but scientists said Friday they still don't know how it got there and predicted more animal deaths would be linked to it.
After the announcement, the company that produced the food expanded its recall to include all 95 brands of the ``cuts and gravy'' style food, regardless of when they were produced. The company also said it would take responsibility for pet medical expenses incurred as a result of the food.
The substance in the food was identified as aminopterin, a cancer drug that once was used to induce abortions in the United States and is still used to kill rats in some other countries, state Agriculture Commissioner Patrick Hooker said.
The federal government prohibits using aminopterin for killing rodents in the U.S. State officials would not speculate on how the poison got into the pet food, but said no criminal investigations had been launched.
The pet deaths led to a recall of 60 million cans and pouches of dog and cat food produced by Menu Foods and sold throughout North America under 95 brand names. Some pets that ate the recalled brands suffered kidney failure, and the company has confirmed the deaths of 15 cats and two dogs.
The latest death, a Yorkshire terrier named Pebbles, occurred Thursday. The dog died of kidney failure after eating some of the food. Her owner, Jeff Kerner, said he was contacting an attorney because he wanted to prevent another pet tragedy.
``Before they put this stuff in the bags, there should be some kind of test,'' said Kerner, of Sherman Oaks, Calif. ``I can't just let it go. Even if they just change the law.''
The company expanded the recall - which initially covered only cans and pouches of food packaged from Dec. 3 through March 6 - after the FDA alerted it that some products remained on store shelves.
There is no risk to pet owners from handling the food, officials said.
The Food and Drug Administration has said the investigation into the pet deaths was focused on wheat gluten in the food. The gluten itself would not cause kidney failure, but it could have been contaminated, the FDA said.
Bob Rosenberg, senior vice president of government affairs for the National Pest Management Association, said it would be unusual for the wheat to be tainted.
``It would make no sense to spray a crop itself with rodenticide,'' Rosenberg said, adding that grain shippers typically put bait stations around the perimeter of their storage facilities.
Scientists at the New York State Animal Health Diagnostic Center at Cornell University and at the New York State Food Laboratory tested three cat food samples provided by the manufacturer and found aminopterin in two of them. The two labs are part of a network created after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks to keep the nation's animals and food supply safe.
``Any amount of this product is too much in food,'' Hooker said.
Aminopterin is highly toxic in high doses. It inhibits the growth of malignant cells and suppresses the immune system. In dogs and cats, the amount of aminopterin found - 40 parts per million - can cause kidney failure, according to Bruce Akey, director of Cornell's diagnostic center.
``It's there in substantial amounts,'' Akey said.
Donald Smith, dean of Cornell's veterinary school, said he expected the number of pet deaths to increase. ``Based on what we've heard the last couple days, 16 is a low number,'' Smith said.
Aminopterin is no longer marketed as a cancer drug, but is still used in research, said Andre Rosowsky, a chemist with the Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston.
Rosowsky speculated that the substance would not show up in pet food ``unless somebody put it there.''
Paul Henderson, chief executive of Ontario, Canada-based Menu Foods, said the company does not believe the food was tampered with because the recalled food came from two different plants, one in Kansas, one in New Jersey. Menu continues to produce food at the two plants.
The company, already facing lawsuits, said Friday it is testing all the ingredients that go into the food.
``We have a lot of work to do, and we are eager to get back to it,'' Henderson said. ``This is a highly unusual substance.''
When asked whether there would compensation for medical bills for sick pets, Henderson said ``to the extent that we identify that the cause of any expenses incurred are related to the food, Menu will take responsibility for that.''
A complete list of the recalled products along with product codes, descriptions and production dates was posted online by Menu Foods and is available at http://tinyurl.com/2pn6mm. The company also designated two phone numbers that pet owners could call for information: (866) 463-6738 and (866) 895-2708.
---
Associated Press writers Andrew Bridges in Washington, Michael Virtanen in Albany and Solvej Schou in Los Angeles contributed to this report.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths   Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:26 pm

Just speculatin, but it sounds to me like some terrorists tried to get to the human food supply and got to some wheat stuff bound for pet food by accident.

Wild speculation, wild wild. But maybe.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths   Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:16 am

Wouldn't surprise me... but then again, who knows. Maybe it was someone that doesn't care for animals. Or, some radical group who thinks that the animal population is out of control, and is trying to change that?! It could, in all honesty, be anything. Then again, it could have been a complete accident.

We still have the wet food cans of "Special Kitty" put up. We aren't tossing them, just in case. But, we also aren't feeding any to our girls. HELL NO! If they got sick, man... I think that I would kill someone.

HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths   Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:10 am

This reminds me of a hilarious SNL commerical. It started off as a pre-produced dog food commercial, Will Farrell is this cowboy like dude selling this stuff and he points to the dog food bag and in really small print it says Rat Poison. The dog keeps trying to eat it. Damn funny.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths   Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:13 am

Oh man, I found it. Hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDyKr9rAZ-k

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths   Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:04 pm

LMAO

HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths   Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:31 pm

Hank Petchow. Freakin' great. Youtube is the best. Took me like 2 seconds to find that.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths   

Back to top Go down

Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1