HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Whidden

Number of posts : 7042
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:00 am

By MARCUS FRANKLIN

NEW YORK Apr 9, 2007 (AP) Calling himself a good person who said a bad thing, radio host Don Imus said Monday he would check his acid tongue after being lambasted for making racially charged comments about the Rutgers University women's basketball team.
"Here's what I've learned: that you can't make fun of everybody, because some people don't deserve it," he said on his nationally syndicated radio show Monday morning. "And because the climate on this program has been what it's been for 30 years doesn't mean it's going to be what it's been for the next five years or whatever."
Imus said he was "embarrassed" by the remarks, in which he referred to the mostly black team as "nappy-headed hos." He said he had made the comments in the course of "trying to be funny," but he was not trying to excuse them.
"I'm not a bad person. I'm a good person, but I said a bad thing. But these young women deserve to know it was not said with malice," he said.
He pointed to his involvement with the Imus Ranch, a cattle farm for children with cancer and blood disorders in Ribera, N.M. Ten percent of the children who come to the ranch are black, he added.
"I'm not a white man who doesn't know any African-Americans," he said.
Imus said he hoped to meet the Rutgers players and their parents and coaches, and he said he was grateful that he was scheduled to appear later Monday on a radio show hosted by the Rev. Al Sharpton, who has called for Imus to be fired over the remarks.
"It's not going to be easy, but I'm not looking for it to be easy," Imus said.
Sharpton has said he wants Imus fired and that he intends to complain to the Federal Communications Commission about the matter.
"Somewhere we must draw the line in what is tolerable in mainstream media," Sharpton said Sunday. "We cannot keep going through offending us and then apologizing and then acting like it never happened. Somewhere we've got to stop this."
Meanwhile, the Rev. Jesse Jackson planned a protest in Chicago, and an NAACP official called for the broadcaster's resignation or firing.

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:03 am

Al Sharpton needs to shut the fuck up.

Imus is a dildo, sure, but shit man.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:08 am

I seriously doubt anyone listens to Sharpton anymore. Imus should get into some kind of trouble, but he won't be fired. It's probably good for ratings anyhow.

If he can get away with what he did to Clinton at that dinner when Billy Bob was still the president, then he will get by this.

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:15 am

Nappy headed ho.

Am I missing something? Can whitey not make a racial joke ever again?

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:21 am

That's the whole deal. No. Imus can make fun of just about everybody and everything, but race can not enter into it. The rules of our society.

It's like Jesse Jackson can say whatever hateful things he wants about whitey, which is cool, but as soon as he starts on the Jews, it's the trump card. It's all over, he is in trouble.

Just the current rules of the current society.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:23 am

Al Sharpton is a nappy headed ho.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:25 am

Dude, get ready for a media storm of epic proportions. Or Perportions.

Yeah.

CNN will light up on you till you humbly come before the nation, and seek hate speech forgivness.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:29 am

You were right about the kind of double standard about the racial comments. I know whitey still has some atonement, but society has been really careful to not drop any comments with racial overtones. And when it happens in the public eye there is this giant to-do made over it.

I get the black man has a lot of racial get-out-jail-free cards when it comes to making anti-whitey comments. No problem. But let's not get crazy Al Sharpton when the comment is made innocently enough.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:42 am

I don't know. Race is like abortion, no matter how well laid out your argument is, it pisses off a large group of people.

I tend to just ignore racial stuff and move on.

One think I do notice though is that the more stuff gets stirred up, the more upset people get. I'd say Imus needs to just stay away from anything doing with race, and I'd say Al Sharpton needs to stop trying to stir crap up when it aint there.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:44 am

I don't touch the racial issue much myself only because I am a big student of history and know all the horrible things that have happened.

However, I am staunch believer in our fundamental right to free speech. That doesn't mean I support hate speech though. But the latter isn't even an issue.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:48 am

I guess malcolmxx over at (In******) is posting this Imus stuff. I bet he puts the post in American Foreign Policy. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:51 am

I think Imus went just barely into waters he shouldn't be in. He forgot the rules.

Too much water under the bridge to make fun of race yet. Too much anger out there still. He is saying he is sorry, so that's cool.

But losing his job, no way. He barely strayed. It's not like a Mel Gibson rant or a Kramer rant, those were out into the thick of it and mean spirited.

Imus is a clown in the style of Don Rickles, he uses that making fun/acidic apporoach to comedy. He meant no harm. He may have done some minor harm, yeah, but Sharpton is pouncing on something that don't really need a pounce, needs more of a handslap.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:09 pm

But is this really one of those times where a big to-do had to be made. I get that the Michael Richards thing was big. Fine. But this was nowhere near that. And in the post-Kramer rant are we gonna get a mile of shit from Sharpton everytime someone makes any comment?

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:14 pm

Update:

Imus Takes His Lumps on Sharpton's Show
By DEEPTI HAJELA 04.09.07, 3:42 PM ET

Don Imus had a hot seat on the other side of the microphone Monday, appearing on the Rev. Al Sharpton's radio show and enduring more criticism for his offensive comments about the Rutgers women's basketball team.
Imus issued another apology for referring to members of the team as "nappy-headed hos." Sharpton called the comments "abominable" and "racist" and repeated his demand that Imus be fired.
"Our agenda is to be funny and sometimes we go too far. And this time we went way too far," Imus said on "The Al Sharpton Show."
The meeting prompted a series of testy exchanges, and Imus grew visibly frustrated at times. During one exchange, Imus said he can't win with "you people." Sharpton was clearly irritated by that remark.
In another encounter, Sharpton said, "If you walk away from this unscathed ..."
"How am I unscathed by this?" Imus interrupted. "Don't you think I'm humiliated?"
During commercial breaks, Sharpton walked out of the studio and said few words to Imus.
Earlier Monday, on his own radio show, Imus called himself "a good person" who made a bad mistake.
"Here's what I've learned: that you can't make fun of everybody, because some people don't deserve it," he said on his show, which is nationally syndicated to millions of listeners. "And because the climate on this program has been what it's been for 30 years doesn't mean that it has to be that way for the next five years or whatever because that has to change, and I understand that."
He pointed to his involvement with the Imus Ranch, a working cattle ranch for children with cancer and blood disorders in New Mexico. Ten percent of the children who come to the ranch are black, he said.
"I'm not a white man who doesn't know any African-Americans," he said.
On the radio show, Sharpton said that Imus' good deeds do not make up for what he said about the Rutgers team, which includes eight black women.
"This is not about whether you're a good man," Sharpton said. "What you said was racist."
Imus said he hoped to meet the Rutgers players and their parents and coaches, and that he was grateful for the appearance on Sharpton's nationally syndicated show.
"It's not going to be easy, but I'm not looking for it to be easy," Imus said.
Meanwhile, the Rev. Jesse Jackson and about 50 others marched Monday outside the Chicago offices of NBC, the General Electric Co. (nyse: GE - news - people ) subsidiary that owns MSNBC, carrying signs and shouting "Imus must go." Jackson said Imus' comments contribute to "a climate of degradation" and stem from a lack of blacks as program hosts.
Imus made the now infamous remark during his show Wednesday.
The Rutgers team, which includes eight black women, had lost the day before in the NCAA women's championship game. Imus was speaking with producer Bernard McGuirk about the game when the exchange began on "Imus in the Morning." The show is broadcast on more than 70 stations and MSNBC.
"That's some rough girls from Rutgers," Imus said. "Man, they got tattoos ... ."
"Some hardcore hos," McGuirk said.
"That's some nappy-headed hos there, I'm going to tell you that," Imus said.
Imus apologized on the air Friday, but his mea culpa has not quieted the uproar.
James E. Harris (nyse: HRS - news - people ), president of the New Jersey chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, demanded Sunday that Imus "resign or be terminated immediately."
Allison Gollust, a spokeswoman for MSNBC, said the network considers Imus' comments "deplorable" and was reviewing the matter.
Karen Mateo, a spokeswoman for CBS (nyse: CBS - news - people ) Radio - Imus' employer and the owner of his New York radio home, WFAN-AM - said the company was "disappointed" in Imus' actions and characterized his comments as "completely inappropriate."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:29 pm

Jesus.

Hey Sharpton, must be nice to be a professional complainer. Freakin' guy isn't happy until he has something to bitch about.

So basically Sharpton and Jackson are getting mad that Imus said 'ho' about these chick basketball players. Why isn't he in front of Dre's or Snoop's house picketing? Because he would get his mouth slapped and it's a weird double standard.

Imus was fuckin' around and got a little verbal diarreha. This notion that anything against a minority is a racist comment first is retarded.

-HECK!

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sierradaddy

Number of posts : 237
Where I am : Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:37 pm

This is a bunch of crap. Sharpton is on a freakin warpath, and it looks to me like Jesse Jackson is following his lead. Now, I have a bit more respect for Jackson, because he seems to have recognized for the most part that taking cameo roles in stupid movies and tv shows doesn't do much to strengthen his image as a political figure to be respected for his ability to see what is best for the African-American people he claims to want to see prosper. Sharpton doesn't seem to get this yet. The guy rubs me so WRONG. Maybe he's so offended by that nappy-head comment because he perms his hair... Maybe that's why he finds it so racist, because it cuts HIM to the quick.

This is junk. I'm gettin so sick of people DEMANDING respect by persecuting anyone who makes a public slip-up. Anyone want a challenge? Bug Al Sharpton's house, phone, etc. Get into his personal life, and see how many times HE HIMSELF slips up and makes similarly "racist" or "stereotypical" comments that could be considered offensive to other cultures. Then jump on him and call for HIS resignation, or for his employers to fire his ass, citing his own racist and stereotypical comments. See how quickly he jumps through hoops to try and keep his subscribership and "fans". This is dumb.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:45 pm

Agreed.

Imus is a dipshit, no doubt. I think his show sucks ass and he has made racial, homophobic and sexist comments in the past. I don't know that he's prejudice nor do I give two shits. I don't listen to his show. It sucks ass (see above.)

But making a giant stink out of this only gets Sharpton's name in the paper. He's going to fan this flame to further his own BS personal agenda.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:46 pm

I don't know if Al has ever slipped up, but Jackson messed up once and said he was in Hiemy town, which was a crack on the jews. Not sure how you spell that.

Dude said he was sorry, so it's cool.

Al said up top that it dont' matter how much you say your sorry, that this has to stop. I don't know, I see a big difference between someone who says they are sorry and quits the racist stuff and someone who don't say they are sorry and continues to say crap.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:57 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

Number of posts : 9666
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:36 pm

I don't get it, though.... they are nappy headed hoes, right?

Number of posts : 1251
Where I am : Commonwealth of Virginia
Registration date : 2007-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:32 am

the way I see it, I say enough stuff about Asians and Whiteys that I have to let the occasional racist comment slide in the name of good fun.

"Nappy headed ho" is kind of funny

hehe

Next time I see an Asian chick I'm calling her a nappy-headed ho
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

Number of posts : 9666
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:42 am

You'd be surprised what I call hot Asian chicks half the time Wink

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:26 am

Phil Hendire used to call the Chinese "a bunch of Spock haircuts" and I laughed and laughed.

Some of the chicks were nappy headed. Don't know about ho's. Look kind of butch to me.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:10 pm

Staples, Bigelow Tea Pull Advertising From Imus Show (Update1)

By Heather Burke and Mary Jane Credeur
April 10 (Bloomberg) -- Staples Inc. and Bigelow Tea stopped advertising on radio host Don Imus's morning show to protest his racially charged remarks about the Rutgers University women's basketball team.
Staples, the world's largest office-products retailer, ran its last ad on Imus's MSNBC simulcast yesterday, spokesman Paul Capelli said. Bigelow Tea, the closely held maker of specialty teas, suspended its ads and future sponsorship is ``in jeopardy,'' said Cindi Bigelow, co-president of the company.
``Our company does not condone or support in any way the unacceptable comments made by Imus,'' Bigelow said in an e-mailed statement. ``We are deeply saddened by Imus' remarks.''
The decision by advertisers to withdraw advertising may step up pressure on CBS Radio and MSNBC, which air the show. CBS and MSNBC yesterday suspended Imus for two weeks after he called the team ``nappy-headed hos.'' He has since apologized and today said he will serve the suspension ``with dignity.'' Team members today said they plan to meet with Imus to hear him apologize in person.
Civil-rights leaders including Rev. Al Sharpton called for his dismissal. On NBC's Today show this morning, Sharpton indicated that pressure may be placed on advertisers.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:08 pm

Pretty soon radio hosts are just going to sit in front of a microphone and say nothing for 4 hours and have a 6 hour time delay in case something is said that the censors can debate and later cut all together.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   

Back to top Go down

Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next