HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
HECK!

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:40 pm

Let's also not forget that his firing from CBS stems largely from money. Sponsors drop out and there goes your profit. Then you have Sharpton rallying all these organziations to call the sponsors and nearly force them to stop advertising. If it were not a money issue dude will still be on.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

Number of posts : 7017
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:00 pm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RF9BjB7Bzr0

the offending rant in all it's glory.

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sierradaddy

Number of posts : 237
Where I am : Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:01 pm

I can't believe Sharpton has so much influence. I think it's sad personally. I do NOT believe Imus should've been fired over this. If a politician made the joke during an interview, then the politician should be castrated through the media because a politician's JOB is to be respectful. But Imus' job wasn't to be respectful and politically correct. Maybe CBS has to be concerned about political correctness, but they CERTAINLY wouldn't have fired Imus over this is Sharpton hadn't gotten involved. He's an ass, Sharpton. He has a big one, and he IS a big one. I don't like that guy. I think he's an opportunistic, self-serving bastard who is only about making himself into a figure of influence. I don't see him having an honest interest in uplifting the black community. I don't see how that's possible when he puts himself in silly situations on sitcoms just to get his face out there. That's not the path a political activist who has any respect for his position of influence is supposed to take. That's just how I see things. And the guy wanted to run for PRESIDENT at one point...... Lord have mercy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:06 pm

I'd like to see Sharpton meet up with Trump, and have a bad hair showdown. Put them in a wind tunnel and let wind votexes reach jet speeds. I tell ya what, I'd pay some coin to see that.

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Illuminate

Number of posts : 1097
Where I am : In my vivid imagination
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:28 pm

I don't think Imus should have been fired either. True, he's an ass for saying that stuff on the radio - and for even thinking it! whether it was in jest or not, it wasn't right. But he has apologized endlessly for it, and it seems to me his apologies are heartfelt. Regardless, they already suspended him, I think that was a good idea. But fired? no. Heck's right, it's all about the money. Sharpton's an ass and a hypocrite. I'd like to know what the team or the coach think about it. Did they agree he should be fired? I'm sure they don't hate the idea but was that their intention? If this Imus guy is such a sexist racist bastard, I'm sure he has done something like this before on his show. And yet, somehow, people have continued to listen in. What does that say? If this had bothered a poop-load of people, I'm sure that ratings would have eventually dropped and they might have canned him regardless, but something tells me nothing would have happened if Sharpton hadn't stuck his big butt in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:50 pm

Imus options: Radio? Retirement?

By LARRY MCSHANE
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER
NEW YORK -- Back on the radio? Or off to retirement?
Answers about the future were hard to come by Friday, when 66-year-old radio legend Don Imus spent his first day of unemployment after nearly 40 years in silence - a change from his repeated apologies and media appearances of the last week. The biggest question was whether he would try rehabilitating his image or simply slip into obscurity.
Both options held certain appeals for the I-Man, who was fired for a racist and sexist remark about the Rutgers women's basketball team and took just eight days to morph from "Imus In the Morning" into "Jimmy the Greek" Snyder. The Greek never landed another job after his 1988 firing as a CBS football analyst for racially tinged remarks.
Before either happens, Imus will sit down with officials from CBS Radio to work out the financial details surrounding his abrupt dismissal. Imus recently negotiated a new five-year CBS contract that reportedly paid him $10 million a year. (Imus had no contract with cable network MSNBC - a unit of NBC Universal, owned by General Electric Co. - which simulcast his show in a licensing deal with CBS.)
"I see many people in suits with briefcases haggling over Imus' contracts," said Tom Taylor, editor of the trade publication Inside Radio. "I see a lot of that. There's a lot of money on the table in this thing, and a lot of issues."
Once they're settled, Imus presumably could try to restart his career on radio - either satellite or terrestrial - or perhaps on television.

A new gig would provide Imus with another opportunity for his career to rise phoenixlike as it has in the past - surviving and thriving despite firings, drug and alcohol woes, on-air controversies and a raunchy 1996 Washington appearance where he questioned President Clinton's sexual fidelity - with the first lady in attendance.

"I don't believe for a second that you won't hear from him again," said fellow WFAN-AM host Mike Francesa, a die-hard Imus backer, on his Friday afternoon program.
Or retirement beckons, perhaps with a multimillion-dollar golden parachute floated by CBS. Imus could spend more time with 8-year-old son Wyatt at either his $30 million beachfront home in Connecticut or his penthouse apartment with its 1,400-square-foot terrace on Central Park West.
He could also devote more time to his philanthropic pursuits, taking care of terminally ill children at his New Mexico ranch. His last radio appearance Thursday was to raise money for three charities; over the last 18 years, the Imus-hosted Radiothon raised more than $40 million.
CBS Radio spokeswoman Karen Mateo declined to comment on any aspects of Imus' contract. She also refused to discuss the fate of other regulars on the canceled program, including producer Bernard McGuirk and longtime Imus friend and sidekick Charles McCord.
It was McGuirk who spoke with Imus during the 10-second, relentlessly regurgitated sound-bite that came back to bite them both. McGuirk first used the word "hos" to describe the Rutgers players, with Imus then calling the 10-woman team "nappy-headed hos."
McCord co-hosted Friday morning's program, the first without Imus, with the fired DJ's wife, Deirdre. She discussed her husband's Thursday night meeting with the basketball team; coach C. Vivian Stringer said Friday that her players had accepted Imus' apology.
Filling Imus' slot Monday morning will be Francesa and longtime partner Chris "Mad Dog" Russo, Mateo said. The successful afternoon drive-time pair, New York's top sports radio duo, will perform double-duty for the next two weeks until a permanent plan was in place, she said.
Westwood One (managed and partly owned by CBS Corp.), which syndicated the Imus show, did not return a call about replacement programming on the 60 other stations that carried the program. Comic Dennis Miller, who started a syndicated show in January, was mentioned as one candidate.
Speculation about Imus immediately centered on satellite radio. Howard Stern, the I-Man's broadcasting bete noir, found freedom and a fortune by moving to Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. And shock jocks Opie and Anthony, booted from terrestrial radio in 2002, returned to XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. two years later - and now do morning shows on both satellite and FM radio.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:58 pm

On Wednesday, a week after the remark, MSNBC said it would no longer televise the show. CBS fired Imus Thursday from the radio show that he has hosted for nearly 30 years.

"He has flourished in a culture that permits a certain level of objectionable expression that hurts and demeans a wide range of people," CBS Corp. chief executive Leslie Moonves said in a memo to his staff.

Sharpton praised Moonves' decision Friday and said it was time to change the culture of publicly degrading other people."I think we've got to really used this to really stop this across the board," he told CBS's "The Early Show."
Some Imus fans, however, considered the radio host's punishment too harsh.

Mike Francesa, whose WFAN sports show with partner Chris Russo is considered a possible successor to "Imus in the Morning," said he was embarrassed by the company. "I'm embarrassed by their decision. It shows, really, the worst lack of taste I've ever seen," he said.

Losing Imus will be a financial hit to CBS Radio, which also suffered when Howard Stern left for satellite radio. The program earns about $15 million in annual revenue for CBS, which owns Imus' home radio station WFAN-AM and manages Westwood One, the company that syndicates the show nationally WFAN.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
niwrad428

Number of posts : 11
Where I am : Somewhere Between Here and There
Registration date : 2007-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   Tue May 08, 2007 9:14 pm

I think the problem is that these girls were completely innocent parties in the whole thing. They had done nothing to warrant being messed with in this way. For him to say anything at all negative about them was strange, let alone something with both racial and sexist overtones. What I don't get is he made this comment without knowing anything about these women besides the fact some of them have tattoos. Many girls that my 16-year old daughter goes to school with have tattoos but such strong judgments shouldn't be made about them either.

Just sayin'.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)   

Back to top Go down

Radio's Don Imus: `I Said a Bad Thing' (YOU'RE FIRED!)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3