HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Children of Hurin

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lawless

Number of posts : 4788
Where I am : SUN Diego
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: The Children of Hurin   Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:27 am

The Children of Hurin

Bibliographic Data: Hardcover, 320 Pages, Houghton Mifflin Company Trade & Reference Divisio, April 2007

Author: Tolkien J. R. R.

Editor: Tolkien, Christopher

List Price: $26.00
In-store prices may vary. See your local store for the most up-to-date pricing.

BINC: 8735273

ISBN: 0618894640

Shelf Location: Popular Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction/ Fantasy

Description: The first complete book by Tolkien in three decades, this book reunites fans of "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" with Elves and Men, dragons and Dwarves, Eagles and Orcs. This stirring narrative will return fans to the rich landscape and characters unique to Tolkien.

gaboman

Number of posts : 9666
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: The Children of Hurin   Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:18 am

Hm, any history behind this book that anybody can share?

PostSubject: Re: The Children of Hurin   Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:08 am

From Wikipedia.com:

The Children of Húrin (2007) is a forthcoming completion of a tale by J. R. R. Tolkien. Begun in 1918 and revised several times, the tale was never completed by Tolkien before his death. Tolkien's son, Christopher Tolkien, has now completed the tale for publication for the first time as an independent work.

Overview

The book is scheduled for publication on 17 April 2007,[1][2] by HarperCollins in the United Kingdom and by Houghton Mifflin in the United States. Alan Lee, illustrator of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings has created the jacket and the book will include color paintings by him as well.
The story deals with a hero of the First Age, Húrin, of the race of Men, who is cursed by the Dark Lord Morgoth, and the effect this curse has on his children Túrin Turambar and Nienor.

The Children of Húrin takes the reader back to a time long before The Lord of the Rings, in an area of Middle-earth that was to be drowned before ever Hobbits appeared, and when the great enemy was still the fallen Vala, Morgoth, and Sauron only his lieutenant. This heroic romance is the tale of the Man, Húrin, who dared to defy Morgoth's force of evil, and his family's tragic destiny, as it follows his son Túrin Turambar's travels through the lost world of Beleriand.(The Tolkien Estate)
[url=][/url]
Plot summary

Spoiler warning: Plot and/or ending details follow.

The story is dark and gloomy, with much less of a positive ending than The Lord of the Rings. The Children of Húrin are brave but sometimes rash. Morgoth's traps are subtle and he can trick them into doing wrong things without their intending it. Both the Elves and the Petty-dwarves in the story include some much worse characters than the noble Elves and Dwarves of The Lord of the Rings.
The tale has echoes of the Finnish Kalevala story, with which Tolkien was very familiar.[3] In Tolkien's work, however, The Children of Húrin forms part of a set, along with the tales of Beren and of Túrin's cousin Tuor. Tuor and Túrin have separate fates that oddly complement each other. It seems likely that Tolkien meant something significant when he had Tuor see Túrin during their joint wanderings.[4] Morgoth directs much of his malice against Túrin and seems to overlook Tuor, the indirect cause of his eventual fall.
The relationship between the siblings Túrin and Nienor has a few elements similar to that of Siegmund and Sieglinde in the story of Die Walküre. This relationship is closely related to the Kullervo story of the Kalevala, as Kullervo rapes his sister unawares and later commits suicide.
[url=][/url]
Concept and creation

A brief version of the story formed the base of chapter XXI of The Silmarillion, setting the tale in the context of the wars of Beleriand. Although based on the same texts used to complete the new book, the Silmarillion account leaves out the greater part of the tale. (The Silmarillion also includes an essay Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age, which tells the story of The Lord of the Rings in compressed form, which could serve as a basis for comparison.)
Other incomplete versions have been published in other works:

• The Narn i Chîn Húrin in Unfinished Tales.
  • Items in the History of Middle-earth series, notably:

• The Lay of the Children of Húrin, an early narrative poem.
    • Prose versions of the Lay (or Húrinssaga), eventually leading to earlier and alternate versions of the Narn, and thus also to the Children of Húrin.
    • The Wanderings of Húrin, a prose continuation of the Narn (not included in the other texts).

None of these writings form a complete and mature narrative. It is likely that the new work will draw heavily on these sources.

References

1. ^ "Unfinished Tolkien work to be published", Yahoo! News, 2006-09-18. Retrieved on 2006 September 18. (in English) (Link dead as of 15 January 2007)
  2. ^ "Son completes unfinished Tolkien", BBC, 2006-09-19. Retrieved on 2006 September 19. (in English)
  3. ^ "X-rated Tolkien: it's not for the kiddies", The Times, 2006-09-24. Retrieved on 2007 March 26. (in English)
  4. ^ "As they waited, one came through the trees, and they saw he was a tall Man, armed, clad in black, with a long sword drawn; and they wondered, for the blade of the sword was also black, but the edges shon bright and cold. Woe was graven in his face... But they knew not that Nargothrond had fallen, and this was Túrin son of Húrin, the Blacksword. Thus only for a moment, and never again, did the paths of those kinsmen, Túrin and Tuor, draw together" (Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin, Unfinished Tales).

[url=][/url]

gaboman

Number of posts : 9666
Where I am : 台北市

PostSubject: Re: The Children of Hurin   Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:40 am

Er, so basically it was an unfinished novel and Christopher edited it into a completed book for publication.

Neat. The story sounds kind of morbid though. I might look it over eventually.

PostSubject: Re: The Children of Hurin   Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:35 am

It sounds completely morbid. This will be one that I skip.

Whidden

Number of posts : 7017
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER

PostSubject: Re: The Children of Hurin   Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:36 am

I will just check chapter 21 of the Sim. I finally found that sucker in a drawer.

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shadow stalker

Number of posts : 106
Where I am : college
Registration date : 2007-02-15

PostSubject: Re: The Children of Hurin   Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:11 pm

I might get it, cuz hey, Tolkein, but the gist of its all in the Sim. so it's really only for diehards with cash to burn
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

PostSubject: Re: The Children of Hurin   Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:17 pm

You are the one person who I thought of, SS, when I saw this article. That's why I put it on here. Smile

fuscia

Number of posts : 2298
Where I am : INSane Diego

PostSubject: Re: The Children of Hurin   Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:51 pm

Meh it was not one of the better stories in the Silmarillion IMO. I was more into Beren and Luthien. I'll skip it until I run out of stuff to read. I have Harry Potter and all the zillion of Dragonlance novels to get through for now.

White Tiger

Number of posts : 562
Where I am : Portsmouth, Hampshire
Registration date : 2007-11-20

PostSubject: Re: The Children of Hurin   Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:55 am

I admit that I bought the book as soon as it came out but I have yet to read it. I know the story anyway but I will probably enjoy this book when I get around to reading it.

As I recall this was the dark and desturbed story of the Silmarillian while the tale of Beren and Luthien was more of an action and romance story. I enjoyed both but I suppose it comes down to which genre you like as to which story you prefer more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Children of Hurin   

Back to top Go down

The Children of Hurin
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1