HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
gaboman

Number of posts : 9673
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:02 pm

By Daniel Trotta
Mon Apr 23, 2:27 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Prominent U.S. hip-hop executive Russell Simmons on Monday recommended eliminating the words "bitch," "ho" and "nigger" from the recording industry, considering them "extreme curse words."

The call comes less than two weeks after radio personality Don Imus' nationally syndicated and televised radio show was canceled amid public outcry over Imus calling a women's basketball team "nappy-headed hos."

Simmons, co-founder of the Def Jam label and a driving force behind hip-hop's huge commercial success, called for voluntary restrictions on the words and setting up an industry watchdog to recommend guidelines for lyrical and visual standards.

"We recommend that the recording and broadcast industries voluntarily remove/bleep/delete the misogynistic words 'bitch' and 'ho' and the racially offensive word 'nigger'," Simmons and Benjamin Chavis, co-chairmen of the advocacy group Hip-Hop Summit Action Network, said in a statement.

"These three words should be considered with the same objections to obscenity as 'extreme curse words'," it said.

Ho is slang for whore and commonly used in hip-hop music while nigger, a derogatory term for blacks, is among the most highly charged insults in American culture. The slur "nappy," used by Imus, describes the tightly curled hair of many African Americans.

CHANGING STANCE

Monday's statement changed course from another one by Simmons and Chavis dated April 13, a day after Imus' show was canceled, in which they said offensive references in hip-hop "may be uncomfortable for some to hear, but our job is not to silence or censor that expression."

The Imus controversy stoked a debate in the United States about how to deal with inflammatory words that are widely considered highly offensive but at the same time commonly and casually used in youth culture.

U.S. black leaders such as Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have led the charge to suppress offensive words while many artists have argued for freedom of expression. New York City declared a symbolic moratorium on the so-called N-word in February.

"Our internal discussions with industry leaders are not about censorship. Our discussions are about the corporate social responsibility of the industry to voluntarily show respect to African Americans and other people of color, African American women and to all women in lyrics and images," the statement from Simmons and Chavis said on Monday.

The network recommended the formation of a Coalition on Broadcast Standards that would consist of leading executives from music, radio and television.

Number of posts : 4788
Where I am : SUN Diego
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:32 pm

gaboman wrote:
Prominent U.S. hip-hop executive Russell Simmons on Monday recommended eliminating the words "bitch," "ho" and "nigger" from the recording industry, considering them "extreme curse words."

AS IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ALL ALONG... AS IT SHOULD BE NOW!

fuscia

Number of posts : 2304
Where I am : INSane Diego

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:33 pm

They never should have gotten air play with that language.

Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:39 pm

They shouldn't even be made...

Kids love that crap... and then they talk like that... and then, they start believing like that.

Dekka00

Number of posts : 1251
Where I am : Commonwealth of Virginia
Registration date : 2007-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:05 am

why do ho's get mad when you call them ho's?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:12 am

Well, the same can be said, Dekka, for.... "Why do 'n' get offended when you call them 'n'????

Because it's insulting... (unless, of course, you're black, and you think that it's some cool sign of your color, but only if you're black.)

HECK!

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:24 am

Um... I think the N word is a lot worse than calling a chick a ho.

I get what Simmons is saying, but I still gotta say that "life ain't nothin' but bitches and money!"

Seriously though, Imus shouldn't be censored and neither should musicians. Politically correct pussy bullshit.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:12 pm

What I'm trying to say, Heck... and what you don't seem to ever hear... is that calling people anything is inexcusable. PERIOD! It has to start somewhere. Somewhere, people have to say that the line has been crossed, and people need to make a conscience effort to stop with the "name calling"

I wouldn't want to be called a ho, or a dyke, or anything else.

I'm sick and tired of people saying... "Well, this is worse than that."

BULLSHIT! It's all bad. It might have a different meaning... or history behind it... but it's all bad.

If you feel that it's fine to live by the words of: Life ain't nothing but bitches and money that is your choice. But, someone need to say that it's not okay. In your eyes, it might be fine. In mine, it's not.

If musicians aren't going to be held responsible for their words, then no one else should. So, go ahead... call all the fat chicks (me included) what you like to call them. Call us ugly. Call us obese. Make fun of us. Call the black people the "n" word. Call women nothing but bitches and hos. But, when someone finally decides that it's gone to far, and you get punched in the mouth, someday, you will know why! Do you think that people enjoy being made fun of? I know that I've never enjoyed hearing you, or other people, make fun of fat people. It hurts. I'm sure that black people hurt when they are called "n". I know that gays hurt when they are called fags.

Until people start standing up and saying that they won't take this anymore, people will keep doing this. It has to stop. We aren't in this world to tear other people down.

HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:00 pm

I hear what you're saying alright... but I think your logic is a wee bit flawed.

What's this about name calling? Last I saw such an uproar about name calling I was in kindergarten. Are the cops going to give time outs for calling some dude on the street a stupid jackoff?

See, if rappers or Jesus rockers or whoever wants to sing about loving bitches or loving Jesus, that's their right. If you don't like it, don't buy the f'n CD. It's that easy. I don't like hardcore rap or Jesus rock. I could give two shits what either say and I hope people who do buy those CD's are just happy as all can be.

And yes, calling someone the 'n' word versus a 'ho' is ten times horrible and trying to equate the two is a big stretch.

Comparing songs to what Joe Nobody says on the street is comparing apples to dog turd. Here's the difference: music is an art form (regardless if certain artists are your cup of tea or not), spoken word in the general public is a right with a important caveat. See, people can't verbally assault others, obviously. People walking around on the street jumping in someone’s face yelling at them saying every name in the book could be illegal. There's also hate speech, and the fact you can't yell "fire!" in a movie theater, etc., etc. That has nothing to do with Simmons wanting to get certain words out of rap lyrics.

But since you brought it up, when I'm out I speak my mind to varying degrees and if someone gets offended or needs to figure shit out with me and needs to step up then I say let's dance. No one is going to tell me what I can or can't say, especially if it's about feelings getting hurt. I tone down the cuss words and harsh opinions depending on the venue and who is in earshot out of respect, not out of fear.

The day we start checking our tongues because someone out there might be offended or inconvenienced in some way then we're gonna just start becoming mutes. Because no matter what anyone says someone, somewhere is going to get butt hurt about it.

When I say Rosie O'Donnell is a fat cupcake eating douchebag I am talking about her alone. If there are people reading that who consider themselves fat it's not a slight against them, regardless of how they take it. What's next, cupcake eaters going to get mad at me? Massengill going to sue me for defaming douchebags?

Just seems like more and more the problem is becoming people getting too eager to be offended at anything. From Janet Jackson's tit to Imus' bonehead comments the P.C. war machine is going ballistic and it's just going to get worse.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Illuminate

Number of posts : 1097
Where I am : In my vivid imagination
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:37 pm

Everyone's words should first and foremost be respectful to those around them. Just because your opinion is something hateful or negative doesn't mean you HAVE to share it with that person or everyone else around them. It's not about fear it's about respect.
I don't think people are trying to tell anyone what they can and cannot say. It's simply that no one should say negative and demeaning things to people and a GROUP of people. Back in the day no one was allowed to say horrible things like the "n" word and Hos and bitches. Now it seems like it's a socially acceptable thing to have those on tv, on movies, on the radio. I don't want my kids hearing that in every day life and thinking that they are okay things to say. People may be super sensitive these days, I agree with that, but that doesn't mean that we should just give up on being respectful because someone is MORE THAN LIKELY gonna get offended. You might let your mouth run off not caring who you hurt in the process but that's not a good quality. Imagine if everyone was like that!? That would be a horrible way to live. I admit I've let my mouth fly off tons of times and I regret it later.

I still think we should think the way our teachers told us to: if you really have nothing good to say, then don't say anything at all.

I think what Russell Simmons is trying to do is a good thing, and a good start.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:24 pm

Heck... then I don't EVER want to hear another person complain when someone (white, mexican, etc...) calls someone a "n" PERIOD!

Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:29 pm

Illuminate wrote:
You might let your mouth run off not caring who you hurt in the process but that's not a good quality. Imagine if everyone was like that!? That would be a horrible way to live. I admit I've let my mouth fly off tons of times and I regret it later.

I couldn't agree with you more. I have absolutely no respect for people who think that it's okay to just tear people down, left and right. I don't care if it's a friend or stranger. I will stop associating with people like that, if they cross the line. I don't want to be associated with someone who feels the need to call blacks the 'n' word, or degrades women, etc...

I've said things in my life, that weren't always nice, or appropriate. I've used my words to hurt others. And I've been hurt in return. Regardless, if you have to stoop to that level, so that you can make yourself look good, make others laugh, to put another in their place, etc... it really says a lot about that person.

I'm far from perfect. But, I've grown up, a lot, in the past 10 years. At one point in my life, I would have taken the stance the Heck does. I don't anymore. Does that make me "sensitive"?????? No, it makes me a human being who cares about how others are treated.

Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:31 pm

Oh, and Heck... there is a huge difference between rapping about "n's" bitches, and hos... then singing about Jesus. Christian music isn't slamming others. It isn't degrading. It's usually quite positive, and uplifting. I don't think that there is anything uplifting about calling someone a "N"

HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:46 pm

Lawless wrote:
Heck... then I don't EVER want to hear another person complain when someone (white, mexican, etc...) calls someone a "n" PERIOD!

I would love not to hear that ever again. Not gonna happen though. Not sure how that fits in though... bounce

Lawless wrote:
Oh, and Heck... there is a huge difference between rapping about "n's" bitches, and hos... then singing about Jesus. Christian music isn't slamming others. It isn't degrading. It's usually quite positive, and uplifting. I don't think that there is anything uplifting about calling someone a "N"

Look what I wrote: "I don't like hardcore rap or Jesus rock. I could give two shits what either say and I hope people who do buy those CD's are just happy as all can be." I didn't say they were alike. I just said I think they both suck. One uses language I don't particularly care for and the other speaks about worshiping something I don't. Either way, I say spin the shit out of the CD if you like it. Just because you don't like the message means it has to go away. Don't like it, don't listen to it. Idea

And it kind of sounds like you're over-stating the fact again, citing extremes like people walking around saying 'n' this or 'n' that and fuck bitches and they can suck it and suck it. There's a difference between the extremes, it's called the happy medium. That happy medium is getting pussified by people choking on their own political correctness. The more people try to push that pussy line toward the middle the more I'm gonna step over that line to keep it right where it is. Actually, I'm gonna tap dance on that f'n line like I'm Gregory Hines. I'm gonna do the Charleston on that motherfucker until my shoes bleed.

I think that people who walk around expecting Care Bears, lollipops and puppydogs are the quickest to cry foul when their otherwise perfect existance gets momentarily tarnished by those brutes with the borish language. It's tragic. Like my boy Dennis Leary says: "life sucks, get a fuckin' helmet."

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whidden

Number of posts : 7098
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:43 pm

I can't call Paris Hilton a whore?

I can't call Rosie fat?

That's half my damn routine. Sad

Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:44 pm

No Heck, I'm not going to extremes. But you know what? We see the world differently, and we will never agree about this. I don't think that people should go around saying horrible things about other people. I believe in karma, and that what you give out, you will get back, and then some. You don't have to go to the extreme is "name calling" or whatever the frak you want to call it. And no, this isn't grade school. But, if you degrade a person, you're no better than others out there... even if you say things at a milder level. Hell, I have said things... and it isn't right. But, I do try to remember that we, as human beings, should attack others with our words. And to use derogatory language is to put down, or offend.

HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:27 pm

I hear ya. We probably agree on a lot of levels. I totally believe in karma. That's why I don't litter. Wink

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:28 pm

I know that we agree on a lot of things!!! So, it's all good.

HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:30 pm

I disagree...

Cool

I do like some rap though. Dre, Snoop, Eminem... but there's a lot of useless crap out there that is blatantly ignorant for the sake of being ignorant.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:56 pm

Warren G's Regulate... The G Funk Era, 2pac's All Eyez On Me and Snoop Doggy Dogg's Doggystyle - those albums are the bomb shit.

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:49 pm

The Chronic, Chronic 2001, NWA's first album... dopeness.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:19 am

Chronic and NWA were pretty good. To be perfectly honest, I never bothered listening to The Chronic 2001.

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:15 am

Really? 2001 was pretty cool. One of those CD's I can listen to over and over.

I like Xibit once in a while. I can combine two of his albums into one okay album.

Never got in to Tupac though.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:04 pm

By the time Xzibit became popular I'd stopped listening to that kind of thing. Now I just listen to the rap/hiphop I used to like... rarely get anything new. I always get Outkasts albums though. I don't bother with anything new in that genre.

How can you live in Cali and not drive around in a jeep pumping California Love like every day? TV's made a fool of me again Sad

tsk, I'm totally gonna upload the All Eyez On Me album for you.

Number of posts : 4023
Where I am : North Carolina

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:13 am

well i guess that's an end to all the songs like meredith brooks songs like bitch

those words are already bleeped out at the radio stations around here, well all but 1 or 2

but this is just getting out of hand, people are way to offened now a days. i get respecting people and all but come on.

like someone said before if he had said somethign about blonde bimbo sluts none of this would have happened. so now we cant make fun of blondes or polocks, or or say midgit. they are midgits by the way, bu they dont like to be called that anymore, they prefer the trm little pepole, like that any better

when will the madness end

and since when did nappy become strictly a a black thing, i tell alyssa her head is nappy all the time, so what i'm gonna offend peple by doing that

fuck it like i said people get offend way too easily, it's because america is raising anation of pussies, oh wait can i still say that, or will that offend someone too

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next