HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
gaboman

avatar

Number of posts : 9673
Age : 36
Where I am : 台北市
Reputation : 13
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Thu 26 Apr - 3:31

Yeah, I don't agree in sensoring the arts. I do wish dumbass kids didn't find this stuff so enjoyable. I've got no love for profanity, really, but a good song's a good song. Most of the crap coming out now is pretty lame though.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nymphadora

avatar

Number of posts : 4023
Age : 34
Where I am : North Carolina
Reputation : 6
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Thu 26 Apr - 3:42

i cuss all the time, but i dot do it in founr tof kids or in public but besides that i let t fly most of the time. but yeah there is ac ertain amount of respect, but you cant just go around censoring everything because someone might be offened.
then noone could ever really say anything cause you never know how people are going to take it, but i dont listen to rap its not my thing so i just dont buy it or byass the station it's no big deal. but i do listen to music with profanity, like fuck shit and maybe a bitch, i can think of one song with bitch in it, i dont really like buck cherry but they did summ me u pso perfectly with carzy bitch, yep cant get mad about that one

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

avatar

Number of posts : 9673
Age : 36
Where I am : 台北市
Reputation : 13
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Thu 26 Apr - 4:14

But I guess the point is he's not pimpin' hoes or nothing.

I think the biggest deal out of all this is the use of the N word. True, nobody should use it... but people will. I mean, they used it on south Park a few weeks back and nobody really said that much about it because you expect it from South Park and it was used in a humorous context. Was it right to use it there? My thought is: who gives a fuck, it was funny. Michael Richards and that Imas fellow: unfunny. (imas didn't really use any profanity as far as I'm concerned, but he was kind of mean). Still, would I go see Michael Richards or listen to that Imas dude's show? Hell no, even before they were public enemy number one I wouldn't bother.

When I hear a Snoop dogg song, though, I kind of expect him to be smackin' bitches and getting head and smoking weed and hanging with his 'n-words'. I mean, if you've ever seen his porno videos you'd know he's one dirty motherfucker. I don't really buy his music anymore, but I wouldn't want him to be censored just 'cause some people don't like it.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nymphadora

avatar

Number of posts : 4023
Age : 34
Where I am : North Carolina
Reputation : 6
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Thu 26 Apr - 4:21

i see your point but wha ti'm tring to say is, they want to stop the use of thisword or that and it'll be just a matter or time before you cant say anything with out offending someone. it's like that already.

i just dont get rap music, it has some good beats but besides that, i like music that actually has a meaning, i dont get anything fromsomething that's always tlaking about money hoes bitches what ever, but that's why i just dont listen to it, but a lot of people do, like teenaged white kids. they love rap music

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

avatar

Number of posts : 9673
Age : 36
Where I am : 台北市
Reputation : 13
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Thu 26 Apr - 4:46

True dat, I love dat shiznit when I was a teenager. Talked like that, fo real.

Rap used to have meaning, but that stopped like a long time ago. I'm not sure if many rap or hip hop songs have meaning anymore. If there are a few, I'm missing them.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nymphadora

avatar

Number of posts : 4023
Age : 34
Where I am : North Carolina
Reputation : 6
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Thu 26 Apr - 4:54

yeah i liked rap back in the day but no so much any more

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

avatar

Number of posts : 6497
Age : 39
Where I am : Off the deep end
Reputation : 10
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Thu 26 Apr - 10:29

gaboman wrote:
By the time Xzibit became popular I'd stopped listening to that kind of thing. Now I just listen to the rap/hiphop I used to like... rarely get anything new. I always get Outkasts albums though. I don't bother with anything new in that genre.

How can you live in Cali and not drive around in a jeep pumping California Love like every day? TV's made a fool of me again Sad

tsk, I'm totally gonna upload the All Eyez On Me album for you.

Haha, funny enough, I do have that song on a burned CD in my car. Comes on right after NWA's Boyz In The Hood.

I'll check that album. No prob's with 2Pac, just never got around to checking it. Kind of like Lost.

-HECK!

_________________
"Just because the monkey is off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

avatar

Number of posts : 6497
Age : 39
Where I am : Off the deep end
Reputation : 10
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Thu 26 Apr - 10:30

Nymphadora wrote:
well i guess that's an end to all the songs like meredith brooks songs like bitch

those words are already bleeped out at the radio stations around here, well all but 1 or 2

but this is just getting out of hand, people are way to offened now a days. i get respecting people and all but come on.

like someone said before if he had said somethign about blonde bimbo sluts none of this would have happened. so now we cant make fun of blondes or polocks, or or say midgit. they are midgits by the way, bu they dont like to be called that anymore, they prefer the trm little pepole, like that any better

when will the madness end

and since when did nappy become strictly a a black thing, i tell alyssa her head is nappy all the time, so what i'm gonna offend peple by doing that

fuck it like i said people get offend way too easily, it's because america is raising anation of pussies, oh wait can i still say that, or will that offend someone too

cheers Could not agree more. The Pussification of America is at hand.

-HECK!

_________________
"Just because the monkey is off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

avatar

Number of posts : 4788
Age : 47
Where I am : SUN Diego
Reputation : 10
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Thu 26 Apr - 10:42

But where do you draw the line with certain things being said? How do you stop black people from being offended to being called the 'n' word... yet, say it's okay for them to use it, and call each other that, like it's just a part of everyday grammer?

I cuss too. But, I am trying to cuss a lot less than I have. I can have a mouth like a dirty trucker... but I don't want to. Words can be powerful, and they say a lot about the person using them. I really don't want to be the type of person that is known for offending people. It doesn't feel good to be hurt by someones words... and therefore, you should want to do the same in return... not hurt others with your words.

Buff, I see your point about saying to your daughter that she's got nappy hair. We can all have nappy hair. But, it was the entire context that he used it. And he labeled those girls as hos. That was damaging.

Now, if you're joking around with a friend and say something like... "You're such a ho." You're not saying something mean... you're teasing them. But, Imus wasn't "teasing" anyone. Big difference.

I don't know that the word police should come out and attack everyone. But there are just certain things that shouldn't be said. Because you let people say them... and the children learn that it's okay to use them... and they do. They are disrespectful... and it's disgusting to see how some of our youth in America talk to people they should be respecting. It's really sad.

I grew up listening to rap music. But, it was completely different. Sure, they did have rap with violent "stories" in them... but they weren't rapping about the stuff you hear today. I find it truly offensive... and, therefore, I don't listen to it. I just worry about some of the kids who DO listen to it, and find influence from it.

Eminem raps about killing his wife... beating women... beating, and killing his mother... locking up women in the trunk of a car, and killing them. WOW... what a wonderful think to PRAISE!!! People LOVE this crap! Yeah, lets emulate him, and others like him, because they are only using their right to free speech. It's not hurting anyone. I'm sorry... but, in my opinion... and it's only my opinion (obviously I'm pretty much alone with it here)... that is a disgusting thing to say is okay to sale to people.

_________________
~If you want do anything worthwhile today, 'do it' with a woman.~
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lawlessone23.livejournal.com/
Illuminate

avatar

Number of posts : 1097
Age : 37
Where I am : In my vivid imagination
Reputation : 3
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Thu 26 Apr - 12:12

There's a huge difference between offensive words and politically incorrect words. I don't think anyone should be saying OFFENSIVE and DISRESPECTING words to sell their music or movies or whatever. The pussies come out when they get offended by non-offensive words. like midgets vs little people. or handicapped vs disabled vs whatever. THOSE people are ridiculous. Words like the N-word have different meanings. those are not okay. there's a difference between the two.

I use nappy all the time. well, more like "naps." aka: damn, my hair naps today! but would I ever use it in public? no b/c i know the connotation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

avatar

Number of posts : 6497
Age : 39
Where I am : Off the deep end
Reputation : 10
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Thu 26 Apr - 12:13

But who draws the line? Who says midget is okay but Eminem's lyrics aren't? Is there some ominous court of morality that hands down verdicts on what we can and can't say?

No.

It's either all okay or none of it is.

Period, the end, thanks for playing.

-HECK!

_________________
"Just because the monkey is off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Illuminate

avatar

Number of posts : 1097
Age : 37
Where I am : In my vivid imagination
Reputation : 3
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Thu 26 Apr - 12:27

I don't think we need a judge to say that N-- is bad and midget is not. i think as a person you should know the difference.

Like, i hate that hispanic people get offended by the word "hispanic." Who f'n cares. I get stink eyes when I call myself hispanic in front of other "latinos." they look at me like i'm a traitor.

but do I need a judge to tell me that hispanic vs N-- is the same or different? UM, NO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

avatar

Number of posts : 6497
Age : 39
Where I am : Off the deep end
Reputation : 10
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Thu 26 Apr - 12:38

It's up to the individual, I think. It's what Joe Black Guy and Frank Midget Guy consider offensive.

I've seen some interviews with black artists discussing the 'n' word. For some of them they felt that saying 'nigga' to one another takes the power away from the word and the horrible history that goes along with it. I can see that. But no, whitey shouldn't say it because of its history.

And maybe Frank Midget Guy things that midget is a degrading term. I don't know.

I'm not black, I'm not a midget, so I can't tell you what they can or can't say or be offended by.

But no one can proclaim this is okay to say, that isn't, this is, that isn't.

Freedom of speech isn't a pick and choose game.

Obviously words come to mean different things and sometimes snowball into outright hate speech. There was a time when calling someone a coward would have you dueling in the street. Once words reach a boiling point you have to take them off the stove for a while and let them cool off. You can't outlaw them, but there is this unsaid agreement in society that people drop certain words or phrases once they've ran there course. Then new words and phrases come along and take their place. It's the natural order of things.

-HECK!

_________________
"Just because the monkey is off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Illuminate

avatar

Number of posts : 1097
Age : 37
Where I am : In my vivid imagination
Reputation : 3
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Thu 26 Apr - 12:47

k so I'm gonna go around calling everyone nigga, gook, chink, feathers, dots, wetbacks and crackas, simply because i have the right to - and to not exclude anyone. yeah, THAT'S a good idea. study Did I forget anyone?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

avatar

Number of posts : 6497
Age : 39
Where I am : Off the deep end
Reputation : 10
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Thu 26 Apr - 13:01

Did you not read any of my posts?

Random or even calculated acts of hate speech shouldn't be allowed in public.

But for every Gay Rights parade there can be a KKK parade. For every bleeding heart butt hurt group of people there militant hate mongers throwing up the heil sign.

Go around making racist remarks odds are someone isn't going to take kindly to it and might wanna do something about it. I'm not advocating racism.

The topic is about offensive words in music. Again, music is an artform. Now I wouldn't put Biggie Smalls in the same category as Van Gogh or Mozart, but just because we may not consider the lyrics of good taste doesn't mean they should be censored or outlawed.

Again, either it's all okay or none of it is.

And if you call someone feathers they might laugh at you.

-HECK!

_________________
"Just because the monkey is off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Illuminate

avatar

Number of posts : 1097
Age : 37
Where I am : In my vivid imagination
Reputation : 3
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Thu 26 Apr - 13:10

haha I couldn't think of anything else...

Hey, aren't you cherokee, or iroquois or something? i'm gonna call you feather.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

avatar

Number of posts : 6497
Age : 39
Where I am : Off the deep end
Reputation : 10
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Thu 26 Apr - 13:11

Shut up tortilla eater.

And it's Native American, thank you Wink

-HECK!

_________________
"Just because the monkey is off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

avatar

Number of posts : 4788
Age : 47
Where I am : SUN Diego
Reputation : 10
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Thu 26 Apr - 13:14

I'm part Cherokee. But, I'm mostly German. I would be offended to be called a Nazi. I'm not. Then again, I'm offended to be called a dyke, simply because I'm gay. People just love to use words to hurt others.

_________________
~If you want do anything worthwhile today, 'do it' with a woman.~
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lawlessone23.livejournal.com/
Illuminate

avatar

Number of posts : 1097
Age : 37
Where I am : In my vivid imagination
Reputation : 3
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Thu 26 Apr - 13:20

HECK! wrote:
Shut up tortilla eater.

And it's Native American, thank you Wink

-HECK!

I'm ecuadorian you ignorant feathered frenchie canadian. Laughing we don't eat tortillas and we don't speak "mexican" either.

I've NEVER liked the word "dyke" or "fag." But I AM one of those people who say "that's so gay" when something's not cool. I guess that's just as bad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

avatar

Number of posts : 4788
Age : 47
Where I am : SUN Diego
Reputation : 10
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Thu 26 Apr - 14:19

Illuminate wrote:


I've NEVER liked the word "dyke" or "fag." But I AM one of those people who say "that's so gay" when something's not cool. I guess that's just as bad.


Well, I guess it depends on who you say that to. Still, where is the line drawn? I wouldn't take offense to that. But, why is it okay to say those things... making fun of gay peopel... but you can't say the "n" word? It's really very confusing... and if you think about it all, your head starts to spin.

Calling someone a dyke or a fag, to some, is just a "title." There are gay men who will say that they are fags. There are lesbians who love associating themselves as a dyke. Now, in certain circumstances, I can refer to myself as a dyke... in the sense of identifying myself as a woman who loves other women. But, for the most part, I just don't like it. I'm not a dyke. I'm just me. Sometimes, I get rather tired with labels. Everyone seems to think that you must have one, for everything in life.

_________________
~If you want do anything worthwhile today, 'do it' with a woman.~
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lawlessone23.livejournal.com/
Whidden

avatar

Number of posts : 7098
Age : 49
Where I am : THE DARK TOWER
Reputation : 13
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Thu 26 Apr - 17:22

Illuminate wrote:
k so I'm gonna go around calling everyone nigga, gook, chink, feathers, dots, wetbacks and crackas, simply because i have the right to - and to not exclude anyone. yeah, THAT'S a good idea. study Did I forget anyone?

Dont call me Hillybilly Whid, or we get sideways. Very Happy

_________________


Drunk, Old, forgetful, bad spelling Floridian Okie who likes Dark Tower books, whiskey and dogs. Stereotypical redneck. I got old trucks up on blocks to prove it. Never doubt the Whid.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Illuminate

avatar

Number of posts : 1097
Age : 37
Where I am : In my vivid imagination
Reputation : 3
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Thu 26 Apr - 18:13

rabbit

Dangit, this is when I need a smilie chewin' on straw or something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nymphadora

avatar

Number of posts : 4023
Age : 34
Where I am : North Carolina
Reputation : 6
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Thu 26 Apr - 19:02

HECK! wrote:
Did you not read any of my posts?

Random or even calculated acts of hate speech shouldn't be allowed in public.

But for every Gay Rights parade there can be a KKK parade. For every bleeding heart butt hurt group of people there militant hate mongers throwing up the heil sign.

Go around making racist remarks odds are someone isn't going to take kindly to it and might wanna do something about it. I'm not advocating racism.

The topic is about offensive words in music. Again, music is an artform. Now I wouldn't put Biggie Smalls in the same category as Van Gogh or Mozart, but just because we may not consider the lyrics of good taste doesn't mean they should be censored or outlawed.

Again, either it's all okay or none of it is.

And if you call someone feathers they might laugh at you.

-HECK!

that's a really good way of putting it

and lawless you said that you dont think black people should be able to use the n word, they get mad when anyone else says it so they shouldn't be able to say it either.

but you said your that you sometime reffer to yourself as a dyke even though you dont really like the word and some gay people calls themselves dykes and fags, but if some random person off the steet called them that they would be pissed, it's the same thing

no people shouldnt be running around disrespecting people, and i agree that a lot of kids spek in a manner that is just shocking, but you just cant outlaw wrod that soem people find innapproate. And you should try to raise your kids not to speak that way but if they do atleast whre they have enough sence on when it is and when its not an approate time to use them.

ok not only are the basic cuss words cuss words in my house but words like crap shut up fart stupid and other things that just dont sound good coming from a 6 year old are also considered bad words. so alyssa dont say them and if someone kid or adult says them she tells them they are bad words and they should not say them. now do i sometimes say things i shouldnt where she can hear me, yeah i slip up and she calls me on it. now do i care if she says crap when she gets older no, but right now it's just not approate. and that's what part of the problem is. different people take "offence" to different things. different people have different standards and values, so some words are worse than others to them. So you cant just start outlawing words that are offensive, because eventually noone would be able to say anyhting, it's be like back in the 50 where everyone is all gosh darn, you couldnt say sex. Is the fact that it's progressively getting worse good, no, but what can you do?

hate speach bad, but offensive words are subjective, there aint shit you can do about them

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

avatar

Number of posts : 4788
Age : 47
Where I am : SUN Diego
Reputation : 10
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Thu 26 Apr - 19:18

No, it's no different. But don't think that you can fire someone for saying it... but turn around and use that crap yourself. That's what I'm saying. I don't like the word dyke. I don't want to be called one. BUT, I don't scream down someones throat for calling me one. I just don't like it. That's all.

When black people say that others can't call them "n" but use it, alllllllllllllllllllllllll the damn time... they have no right to ask others not to use it. That was the point I was trying to come across with.

_________________
~If you want do anything worthwhile today, 'do it' with a woman.~
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lawlessone23.livejournal.com/
Nymphadora

avatar

Number of posts : 4023
Age : 34
Where I am : North Carolina
Reputation : 6
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Thu 26 Apr - 19:29

i get what your saying

but in essence it's the same as me saying i'm fat, i can say it cause it's me, but i wouldnt want my boss to cam eup and tell me how fat i look today. but i get your point

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   

Back to top Go down
 
Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Do I need spring compressors to remove the front LCA?
» Offensive-ish 4th Gen team
» Use of Boric Acid to remove moss from trunk
» funny picture (non offensive)
» Todd McFarlane Sues Al Simmons For Being 'Spawn'

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Inrejects :: Arts and Entertainment :: Music-
Jump to: