HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Lawless

Number of posts : 4788
Where I am : SUN Diego
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Fri 27 Apr - 1:16

I don't go around calling myself a dyke. So, it's not the same thing.

Bottom line is, people are never going to see eye to eye on this, or many other issues. You have blacks who don't care, and use the 'n' word, but get pissed if anyone else does. You have blacks who can't stand it being used, period. Like many other "issues" it's just a matter of what people are willing to settle for.

For me, I would rather seperate myself from people that I don't want to associate with. That is why I limit my friends in real life. There are just certain qualities that I want in my friendships... and there are those qualities that I don't, and won't, accept. Still, that doesn't mean that those things that I don't like, aren't happening. They are. It's just too bad that people aren't more respectful of other people. This world would be a lot nicer if there weren't people who felt the need to express themselves by degrading another person, in any way.

Nymphadora

Number of posts : 4023
Where I am : North Carolina
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Fri 27 Apr - 1:30

Lawless wrote:
Illuminate wrote:

I've NEVER liked the word "dyke" or "fag." But I AM one of those people who say "that's so gay" when something's not cool. I guess that's just as bad.

There are gay men who will say that they are fags. There are lesbians who love associating themselves as a dyke. Now, in certain circumstances, I can refer to myself as a dyke... in the sense of identifying myself as a woman who loves other women. But, for the most part, I just don't like it.

that's why i said that

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Fri 27 Apr - 1:40

I didn't mean it THAT way.

Look... a black person can be identified as a 'n' simply because that's how the word was used. It isn't right.. but, that's how it is. I know that I can be refered to as a dyke... but I don't like it.

I know that I'm saying it wrong... but, in my head, I know what I mean. Sorry if that is confusing.

Nymphadora

Number of posts : 4023
Where I am : North Carolina
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Fri 27 Apr - 1:42

yeah, i'm thourghly confused,haha

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Fri 27 Apr - 11:03

Lawless wrote:
Illuminate wrote:

I've NEVER liked the word "dyke" or "fag." But I AM one of those people who say "that's so gay" when something's not cool. I guess that's just as bad.

Well, I guess it depends on who you say that to. Still, where is the line drawn? I wouldn't take offense to that. But, why is it okay to say those things... making fun of gay peopel... but you can't say the "n" word? It's really very confusing... and if you think about it all, your head starts to spin.

Calling someone a dyke or a fag, to some, is just a "title." There are gay men who will say that they are fags. There are lesbians who love associating themselves as a dyke. Now, in certain circumstances, I can refer to myself as a dyke... in the sense of identifying myself as a woman who loves other women. But, for the most part, I just don't like it. I'm not a dyke. I'm just me. Sometimes, I get rather tired with labels. Everyone seems to think that you must have one, for everything in life.

I think if gay people were forced into slavery for hundreds of years then maybe fag and the 'n' word would be the same. They're not though. Both bad if meant in a hateful way, don't get me wrong. One carries more baggage though.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Sat 28 Apr - 2:05

It's still tit for tat, Heck!!! It's all wrong... no matter HOW you slice it. Hatred, degradation, etc... it's all the same, just a different cover.

Dekka00

Number of posts : 1251
Where I am : Commonwealth of Virginia
Registration date : 2007-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Sat 28 Apr - 4:42

Lawless wrote:
tit

hehe

ehhehehhehe
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Sat 28 Apr - 9:40

Dekka00 wrote:
Lawless wrote:
tit

hehe

ehhehehhehe

Razz

shadow stalker

Number of posts : 106
Where I am : college
Registration date : 2007-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Sat 28 Apr - 18:26

lolz at Dekka! also, since it's music, and therefore an art, given the legal system's motto of "one man's trash is another man's treasure" regarding artistic stuff, i really don't see this going anywhere. though personally, i've never really understood the use of profuse swearing and the like. but thats just me
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   Sat 28 Apr - 20:41

Lawless wrote:
It's still tit for tat, Heck!!! It's all wrong... no matter HOW you slice it. Hatred, degradation, etc... it's all the same, just a different cover.

No, it's not. 'N' word is 10x worse than fag. See how people don't even say the 'N' word anymore. It's history.

Homosexuals were never sold into slavery, refused the right to vote or own land, they didn't have to use different bathrooms or water fountains, they didn't have to sit in the back of the bus, they weren't banned from shools, they didn't have a fire hose turned on them while marching for equal rights. The 'N' word is something said said in support of all of those nasty things thrust upon an entire race of people. When it is said all that terrible history comes back to the surface.

I get what you're saying about hate is hate, but it's not that easy. I know gays have it tough and there is a lot of bad shit that happens out of hate, and while I don't want to diminish the pain and suffering endured by gays, it's miles away from what's been happening to blacks for centuries.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words   

Back to top Go down

Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3