HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Shooting rampage at Kansas City mall leaves three dead

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lawless

Number of posts : 4788
Where I am : SUN Diego
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Shooting rampage at Kansas City mall leaves three dead   Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:30 am

Officials: Three shot dead at Missouri shopping center

POSTED: 11:07 p.m. EDT, April 29, 2007

Story Highlights

Three shot to death including shooter
One police officer wounded in an earlier incident police believe was related
Witness saw "a young man with a sawed-off shotgun" being chased by police
Another victim shot to death at an incident -- possibly related -- 6 miles away

(CNN) -- A gunman already suspected of wounding a police officer shot and killed two people and wounded at least two others at a shopping center in Kansas City, Missouri, before being gunned down by police, authorities said Sunday.

"It appears that he came to the mall to shoot people," said Sgt. Tony Sanders, a Kansas City police spokesman. "Whether it was random or not we do not know."

Police are also investigating any connection the man may have had to the death of an elderly woman whose body was found in her home a few miles away, police said.

Sanders said the man shot and killed two people in the parking lot of Ward Parkway Center, about nine miles south of downtown, about 3:30 p.m.
He continued into the mall, where witnesses said he fired several more shots with what appeared to be a sawed-off shotgun, but police later determined to be a rifle.

Shots near Starbucks

"I was in my truck and the gunman was two cars over from me," shopper Queea Miller told CNN.

She said she saw the gunman shoot in the direction of a Starbucks coffee shop.

"Then, after he stopped, he re-loaded and started shooting again," said Miller.

Miller said during the shootings, she and her 18-year-old daughter leaned their seats all the way back.

"I got to praying. You could hear the shots going off again," said Miller.
Then police, their guns drawn, began "coming from everywhere," she said.

Clothing store manager Lissa Young said "several rounds of gunfire" were followed by two customers who ran into the store and said shots had been fired.

She said she immediately locked the doors and ordered the customers to the back of the store, where they waited until police gave them the all-clear.

Sanders said police shot the gunman outside a Target department store. Investigators have no clue as to his motive, Sanders said.

Officer shot; then mall chaos

The mall shooting took place less than 20 minutes after a Kansas City police officer was shot and wounded on a nearby road -- and about an hour and a half after police found the body of a woman in her home about five miles from the mall.

Officers found the woman dead and her car missing at 1:49 p.m., Police Capt. Rich Lockhart said in a statement issued Sunday evening. A police officer spotted the car on a nearby road at 3:11 p.m. When the officer pulled the car over, the driver opened fire, hitting the officer in one arm.

The 44-year-old officer, a 15-year veteran, was treated and released Sunday afternoon, Lockhart said.

"He had his wherewithal enough to put out a suspect description and direction of travel and vehicle," Sanders said.

"It is believed the dead man [the mall shooter] is the one who shot the officer on Bannister road. His vehicle was found in the parking lot," Lockhart said.

Barely 15 minutes after the officer was wounded, police received the first reports of the shooting at the shopping mall.

In addition to the wounded police officer, Sanders said at least two people turned up at nearby hospitals after being shot at the mall. Investigators were combing through the mall Sunday evening to ensure the gunman had no accomplices, and Sanders called the building "a giant crime scene."

"We have hundreds of witnesses who were inside the mall when he came in," he said.

"It was a Sunday afternoon at a mall in Middle America, so you can imagine it was crowded."

Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Shooting rampage at Kansas City mall leaves three dead   Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:31 am

I'm tired of people killing others... innocent people. WTF is wrong in our world? WHY do people think that they can just pick up a gun and take anothers life?

gaboman

Number of posts : 9666
Where I am : 台北市
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Shooting rampage at Kansas City mall leaves three dead   Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:32 am

Fuck.

I hope there doesn't end up being more dead... this is just awful.

PostSubject: Re: Shooting rampage at Kansas City mall leaves three dead   Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:37 am

I'm just wondering one thing: What's next?

I swear, it's like one person does this... and next thing you know, there are a slew of others doing these killings.

shadow stalker

Number of posts : 106
Where I am : college
Registration date : 2007-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Shooting rampage at Kansas City mall leaves three dead   Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:42 am

*sigh* well this sux. no doubt about it. though i wonder, while this is obviously not a common occurrence, would it get as much attention if it weren't for the previous incident at VT?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Shooting rampage at Kansas City mall leaves three dead   Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:42 am

'Tis the time for all the sickos to come out of the woodworks. Let's hope they all get caught before any damage can be done, though.

PostSubject: Re: Shooting rampage at Kansas City mall leaves three dead   Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:44 am

4 dead after violence in Kansas City

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A man driving a dead woman's car shot a police officer, then opened fire in a parking lot and a mall Sunday, authorities said. By the end of the day, four people, including the gunman, were dead.

The chaos ended when police shot the gunman to death outside a Target store inside Ward Parkway Center in south Kansas City, police spokesman Tony Sanders said.

The gunfire sent shoppers and employees scurrying for cover. Target employee Cassie Bradshaw, 19, of Kansas City was in a break room with two other people when they first heard shots. Then, her co-workers saw a man in his 50s with a rifle "shooting everywhere," she said.

"It sounded like maybe firecrackers at first but then they got louder and louder and louder, and it sounded like someone shooting a gun," she said.

The string of violence began early Sunday afternoon, when police went to a home to check on an elderly woman relatives hadn't seen for days. The woman was found dead and her car missing, Sanders said.

The car was spotted later in the day at a gas station by an officer, who pulled the driver over and was shot in the arm, police said. The officer, whose wound was not life-threatening, returned fire and shattered the window of the gunman's car.

The car took off and reports began arriving about 10 to 15 minutes later of shots fired at the shopping center. The man pulled into a parking space and fired at the cars on either side of him, killing two people, authorities said. He fired more shots, wounding at least two people, then went inside the mall, Sanders said.

"Everybody was leaving the mall when the officers ran inside," Sanders said. "They confronted the man and after confronting him, shot and killed him."

Although witnesses reported hearing shots inside the mall, Sanders could not immediately confirm it.

"We have hundreds and hundreds of witnesses we have to interview and try to determine that," he said.

Police did not say how the elderly woman died, or if the gunman was a suspect in her death. But they did say they believed the events were connected.

The mall, one of the city's busiest shopping centers, was shut down and officers went through each store to see if anyone else might have been involved, Sanders said. The gunman and victims' names were not immediately released, and conditions of the wounded were not available.

The wounded officer was treated at an area hospital and released, but the conditions of the other wounded people were not available.

PostSubject: Re: Shooting rampage at Kansas City mall leaves three dead   Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:48 am

geeze. now i can sorta understand why in the Philippines they have armed guards (like, sporting shotguns or assault rifles) at the entrances to their malls
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Shooting rampage at Kansas City mall leaves three dead   Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:59 am

Everybody in the Philippines has a rifle, you'll probably find those were just 2 dudes hanging out, talking shit. Nah, kidding, but I did read somewhere it's got more guns per person than even the US.

Though that sounds funny, since there are a lot of gun collectors in the states.

PostSubject: Re: Shooting rampage at Kansas City mall leaves three dead   Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:09 am

hmm, that is an interesting bit of trivia.
wonder what this newest incident will do politically. hopefully speed up whatever decision their going to make
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

PostSubject: Re: Shooting rampage at Kansas City mall leaves three dead   Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:15 am

Nah, NRA won't let anyone get too hasty when it comes to gun laws. That's just the way they roll.

PostSubject: Re: Shooting rampage at Kansas City mall leaves three dead   Fri May 04, 2007 8:30 pm

No more news on this after it was over.

PostSubject: Re: Shooting rampage at Kansas City mall leaves three dead   

Back to top Go down

Shooting rampage at Kansas City mall leaves three dead
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1