HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Magneto

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Illuminate

Number of posts : 1097
Where I am : In my vivid imagination
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Magneto   Wed May 02, 2007 12:28 pm

After the release of "X-Men: The Last Stand" almost a year ago, 20th Century Fox said they had no plans to produce a fourth installment of the popular franchise because it was too pricey because of the many big-name movie stars attached to it. However, the studio said it was considering spin-offs revolving around the popular characters of Wolverine and Magneto. Not surprisingly, "Wolverine" got the first go ahead with Hugh Jackman on board. Although it's currently without a director, the picture is expected to begin production before the end of the year. As for "Magneto," Variety reports the X-Men's greatest foe is also getting his own shot at the big screen. Conveniently announced the day before his latest movie, "The Invisible," opened (and bombed), Fox has brought veteran comic-book movie guru David Goyer ("Batman Begins") on board to helm the Master of Magnetism's origin.
Goyer's picture will follow a story line hinted at in the original "X-Men" movie in which Magneto deals with understanding his mutant powers during his family's internment at the Auschwitz concentration camp during World War II. It is there that Magneto first meets Professor Charles Xavier, an American soldier liberating the camp (and who later forms the X-Men). After being freed, Magneto hones his powers by hunting down and killing the Nazi war criminals that tortured him. His thirst for vengeance eventually turns Xavier into his enemy and more conflict ensues. Both adversaries will be played by actors in their 20s, but it is expected that Ian McKellen, who originated the character, will participate in a limited capacity. What is puzzling about the announcement is that Magneto is clearly a villain to most moviegoers. And after the critical and box-office disappointment of the last prequel movie that focused on a madman's origin story, "Hannibal Rising," you have to wonder whether there is a big audience for this type of film. It's clear that Fox, Marvel and Goyer think there is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Illuminate

Number of posts : 1097
Where I am : In my vivid imagination
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Magneto   Wed May 02, 2007 12:28 pm

Hmmm, a movie about Magneto without much of Ian McKellen... I dunnoooo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Magneto   Wed May 02, 2007 12:55 pm

I would see it... but it kind of sounds like Schiendler's List with a Vegenace or something. Using his mastery of magneticism (sic) to pick off Nazi's? Meh.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lawless

Number of posts : 4788
Where I am : SUN Diego
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Magneto   Wed May 02, 2007 4:07 pm

I will see it, but I'm with Heck...

Also, without Sir Ian? Hmmmmmm...

Sierradaddy

Number of posts : 237
Where I am : Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Magneto   Wed May 02, 2007 4:08 pm

Yeah... I don't really bother with Magneto's backstory, other than that I know he was a kid during WWII and survived Auschwitz, that he and Prof. X became friends while they did some work in Israel and developed and built Cerebro in the US years later. Whatever else happened that led him to become the Magneto we know and love (to hate?) really isn't important to me. He's one of those characters that I don't mind not knowing much about their past... However, I'm a visual dude, so if the movie looks really good, I'll probably go see it.

Goyer's involved, and he did Batman Begins which everyone loves. He also scripted The Dark Knight, which is filming now... But, he ALSO did Blade Trinity, which a lot of people didn't like too much. So, it might be a crap-shoot.... We'll have to wait and see how the trailers look...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Magneto   

Back to top Go down

Magneto
Page 1 of 1