HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Writer's Market

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HECK!

Number of posts : 6497
Where I am : Off the deep end
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Writer's Market   Tue May 08, 2007 11:26 am

I love this book. If anyone else is or wants to be a writer then you know about the Writer's Market. Published each year it's this giant, comprehensive collection of publishers where you can try and sell your work. From big time publishing houses looking for the next great American novel to some goth rag printing your angst ridden poetry to a fishing magazine that wants to use your best angling stories to Time Magazine. This thing is a must have. I always encourage people who even have a passing intersest in writing to give it a whirl. You never know.

I usually buy the Market every other year. Haven't gotten it yet as it runs $50. This year they have separated it into sections specialzing in different areas and selling them at like $20 a pop. Good idea for some but they sure are milking it. Since I'm kind of all over the place with the writing I want the original (now called 'deluxe') edition. Anyway, I go online to Amazon/Borders and it's on sale for like $40. Still some coin though. I can swing it but my cheapy sense was tingling so I went over to Barnes & Noble's website. They have this eBay-like deal where they sell books from their authorized re-sellers. Long story long, I found this copy online- 'used like new'- for $8. I ordered it on Friday with express shipping for a total of $12 and got it on Monday. Bitchin'. Looks brand new. I was really impressed. Really recommend using Barnes & Noble website for sure.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Writer's Market   Tue May 08, 2007 11:42 am

Tits! The activation code in the book for their website account was scratched off so I figured whoever had the book first made an account but I was able to sign up. They have even more listings online. Stoked.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fuscia

Number of posts : 2298
Where I am : INSane Diego
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Writer's Market   Tue May 08, 2007 6:13 pm

I need this book. I have no idea how to go about shopping my book out there. I want to at least say I gave it a shot. I know the chances are slim that anything will come of it, but I at least have to say that I tried.

Mr. F> this would be a GREAT b-day present.

HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Writer's Market   Tue May 08, 2007 6:18 pm

Oh hells yeah. Never heard of it? It is your new best friend, trust me.

Go to Barnes & Noble online. Like I said I got mine for $12, normally $50. It's a steal. Once you get it I can help kind of guide you through it. Pretty easy though.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

Number of posts : 9666
Where I am : 台北市

PostSubject: Re: Writer's Market   Tue May 08, 2007 8:43 pm

Usually you're better of looking for an agent in these things. They tend to ask for a run down of your book, and 3 or 4 sample chapters (typically where interesting things occur). If they're good, and they take you on as a client, you're pretty much set to getting published in the future.

If I remember right (I haven't seen this book in like 5 years) they separate agents by genre too, which is handy.

Number of posts : 4788
Where I am : SUN Diego

PostSubject: Re: Writer's Market   Wed May 09, 2007 1:22 am

HECK! wrote:
Oh hells yeah. Never heard of it? It is your new best friend, trust me.

This can't be Sherry's new best friend, or I'm going to cry!!! No

HECK!

PostSubject: Re: Writer's Market   Wed May 09, 2007 11:03 am

gaboman wrote:
Usually you're better of looking for an agent in these things. They tend to ask for a run down of your book, and 3 or 4 sample chapters (typically where interesting things occur). If they're good, and they take you on as a client, you're pretty much set to getting published in the future.

If I remember right (I haven't seen this book in like 5 years) they separate agents by genre too, which is handy.

Yeah, they walk you through the whole thing. Explain it in detail. There are other writers that offer tips and advice. Dopeness.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaboman

Number of posts : 9666
Where I am : 台北市

PostSubject: Re: Writer's Market   Wed May 09, 2007 8:26 pm

I always figured if you got it once, you've got it for like 5 years at least. That being said, if I actually got to the point where I had something worth publishing, I'd probably buy it again (but the British version... I guess the US version's different).

PostSubject: Re: Writer's Market   Thu May 10, 2007 10:16 am

You really don't need to buy it every year. The last one I bought was '04 I think. Before that it was '99 or so. Maybe earlier.

Before the 'net was so popular this book was the end all be all. Now a good chunk of it is pointing you toward different publisher website or other online resources.

-HECK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Writer's Market   

Back to top Go down

Writer's Market
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1